How does my boiler work?!!

Found 16th Mar 2009
I've posted a pic of it below, have had no info from the landlord and we're having a few problems with it...guessing it's economy 7 as we have economy 7 storage heaters. Left switch appears to be a booster switch so I had assumed the right switch would be a timed switch so it would only operate between 1am and 7am when left on permanently. Right switch however appears to do absolutely nothing and we get very little hot water from it.

Gonna cost a fortune if we can only operate it with the booster unless I remember to turn it off and on every night.

1. Misc
  2. Boiler
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Boiler
15 Comments

Original Poster

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LLHmwRYcAWw/Sb6_hinisyI/AAAAAAAAA_M/ZkeWKAZobOA/s800/IMG_0092.JPG

can i see a picture of the controls on the storage heaters themselves

-ignore realised on rereading the heating wasnt the issue but the hot water

Sorry can't help you with instructions, but by law your landlord should provide you with all manuals for all appliances.

the ones ive had experience of, those two switches on the boiler pic one is classed as a shower amount and the other a bath amount - hence you only getting a small amount of water out as you must only have one switch on when trying to fill the bath. The boiler is actually two boilers the little white one is the one for shower quantity and the big one bath. The bath one takes at least an hour to heat up properly though!!

so it isnt a booster.

Original Poster

xena_morph;4658610

can i see a picture of the controls on the storage heaters themselves

why not...
the dial you see is marked output 1-6 and has a matching dial on the right marked storage 1-6...both wall switches appear to be for the heaters which correctly don't allow the heaters any electric during the day.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LLHmwRYcAWw/Sb7BZWyBLZI/AAAAAAAAA_s/4GWnXPdzwfU/s800/IMG_0093.JPG

Electric Heating can actually prove cost effective it just requires forward thinking!!!

Original Poster

xena_morph;4658654

the ones ive had experience of, those two switches on the boiler pic one … the ones ive had experience of, those two switches on the boiler pic one is classed as a shower amount and the other a bath amount - hence you only getting a small amount of water out as you must only have one switch on when trying to fill the bath. The boiler is actually two boilers the little white one is the one for shower quantity and the big one bath. The bath one takes at least an hour to heat up properly though!!so it isnt a booster.

we leave both switches on overnight and yes the problem is we are getting almost one shower out of it in the morning before it's cold...leaving me of course with the cold shower.

has the property had an electrical check?

Original Poster

I have no idea.

Original Poster

so...if that tiny little tank is purely for the shower supply can it not take from the main tank when it has run out?

i bet stewie would know the answer

Original Poster

ok so the thing at the top, the "diaphragm" is just a pressure expansion tank so no water in that!

bargainbetty;4658611

Sorry can't help you with instructions, but by law your landlord should … Sorry can't help you with instructions, but by law your landlord should provide you with all manuals for all appliances.

When quoting "laws", it always pays to provide a link.
Post a comment
@
    Text