How does paying via PayPal work? Am I protected to sell through it?

Found 19th Mar
I am selling something on gumtree and the guy offered to pay via PayPal before I send the item. can he refund the money at any point after I send the item or claim to not have obtained it? Can people who have had experience before advise me please.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
deleted1315437
Once he pays he cannot reverse the payment. If you are sending anything by post ALWAYS send to the same address that is on his PayPal account. Never send anywhere else even if he says to. There you're covered. Hope that helps
Edited by: "deleted1315437" 19th Mar
kay199212 m ago

Once he pays he cannot reverse the payment. If you are sending anything by …Once he pays he cannot reverse the payment. If you are sending anything by post ALWAYS send to the same address that is on his PayPal account. Never send anywhere else even if he says to. There you're covered. Hope that helps

They could

Key is to make sure it has proof of delivery

No proof of delivery and people can claim against you
Edited by: "dodgymix" 19th Mar
He can reverse it, sort of, simply by telling PayPal it's not as described or saying it was an unauthorised payment. The only way and still risky is friends and family. Most of the time it goes ok but there's a big chance it won't and you will be left with nothing. Cash is best just wait like I do, the right buyer will come along they always do.
Edited by: "caverncity" 19th Mar
deleted1315437
dodgymix5 m ago

They couldKey is to make sure it has proof of deliveryNo proof of delivery …They couldKey is to make sure it has proof of deliveryNo proof of delivery and people can claim against you

That's a claim though isn't it? So you're saying PayPal or the buyer can physically remove the money from your account?
Edited by: "deleted1315437" 19th Mar
kay199211 m ago

That's a claim though isn't it? So you're saying PayPal or the buyer can …That's a claim though isn't it? So you're saying PayPal or the buyer can physically remove the money from your account?

That's the agreement with PayPal when you join them.
The buyer can't physically remove without submitting a claim first. PayPal however can as long as it's still in the PayPal account, freezing it at first. If no funds and a claim is submitted then the account goes into arrears and if the seller loses the claim then PayPal want their money.
Thanks for all the replies and feedback. What about bank transfer?
sazal8 h, 11 m ago

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. What about bank transfer?

Bank transfer would be ok as they have no easy way to recover the money once they have sent it and no way of opening cases against you.
Good for a seller but not for a buyer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants