Posted 20th Nov 2021
Tesco have priced their products in such a way that if you do not own a clubcard, you will be seriously overcharged.

Let's take Jack Daniels as an example:

tesco.com/gro…121

£26 if you don't own a clubcard, and £16 if you do. That's an entire £10 difference.

Compared to other supermarkets:

3829971_1.jpg
Is this even ethical? How do they get away with it?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
Top comments
But it does cost you nothing to get a card so what's the big deal
32 Comments
  1. Avatar
  2. Avatar
    Because places charge what they want and people either buy or don't.....

Why are you not complaining about ocado or even coop who are dearer and not even an option of the cheaper price in your example?
  3. Avatar
    If you don't have a clubcard don't shop at Tesco, that's basically what they are saying. Easy choice.
  4. Avatar
    They've been aggressively promoting their clubcard recently- plenty of stuff is much cheaper if you have one. I finally gave in and got one after years of rejecting supermarket loyalty cards.

I think it makes me want to shop at Tesco more: I feel that with my clubcard I can get some bargains. Obviously that's exactly what they want!
  5. Avatar
    It's entirely their choice to decide what price to sell their stock at, and the customer's choice to purchase it at that price. I'm not a fan of it but if you frequently shop there you should have a clubcard anyway. From what I hear Clubcard rewards are actually meant to be pretty good.
  6. Avatar
    It's...capitalism. They want to make money. It's not remotely immoral. You can go elsewhere.

What next, Costco is immoral because you need to be a member to enjoy their prices?
    Heaven forbid...you need a library card to borrow books from the library. Surely that's immoral, what with you being forced at gunpoint to use the library and all!
  7. Avatar
    I really can’t see any issue here whatsoever. So Tesco offer cheaper prices on some items if you sign up for a free Clubcard, where on earth is the problem with that?
  8. Avatar
    mrsnakefist20/11/2021 22:42

I’m not speaking for myself, but I do know that having cards like clubcard, nectar etc. means your shopping habits are being monitored and some people don’t like that.
  9. Avatar
    Phataphobic21/11/2021 00:39

I’m not speaking for myself, but I do know that having cards like c …I’m not speaking for myself, but I do know that having cards like clubcard, nectar etc. means your shopping habits are being monitored and some people don’t like that.

True. And I got caught out buying a pizza meal deal with my son and it was higher price as we didn't have a club card on me. I used to have one ages ago do could maybe find it in my emails but was a busy queue and staff member didn't want to know....

But... It is how they make their money. Selling data on what combinations of products people buy and what price incentives work etc...
  10. Avatar

I find it annoying because their Clubcard prices are what was formally just their regular reductions, and since they are now classified as special offers they now only have to display the unit price based on the non-clubcard price, not what you'll actually be paying, making price comparisons with alternative products and sizes more difficult.

tradingstandardsblog.co.uk/uni…lue
    Edited by: "melted" 21st Nov 2021
  11. Avatar
    Manufacturer's, wholesalers and distributors do deals with retailers based on the volumes they purchase. Or they do a deal or special discount offer to retailers, because they need to shift a certain amount of product to meet sales targets. Especially if its near the end of the month or quarter. To satisfy reported revenue forecasts to share holders and the stock market (if their listed).

Supermarkets also get paid by manufacturers to place their products in a prominent position on the shelf. Tesco previously got into trouble for this, by booking future payments from manufacturers. That they hadn't yet recieved as revenue.

Its all about the money.

We live in a capitalist society. Companies will use every tactic in the book to try and separate as much money as possible from as many people as possible.

Its the adverting, sales and marketing game. They use repetition, NLP, and catchy music and slogans to brand (brain) wash. Even if some are confusing, misleading or boarder line illegal. At the end of the day. If they get caught, the worst outcome will probably be a fine. But to a large company, corporation or multi national, its just the cost of doing business. Lather, rinse, rinse again, repeat!

No offence to anyone, but unfortunately some people are more susceptible to all this brand washing than others. Some people wouldn't dream of, or would be horrified at the thought of buying an own brand or no name product. They will only shop in high end stores, wear designer stuff or buy big brand name foods.

If your worried about Tesco monitoring you. I would be more worried about Amazon, face meta book, instagram, twitter and Google than Tesco. They have been collecting people personal data and tracking everythingy you look at and read for years. Digital assistants listening and recording all your conversations, under the guise of waiting for the trigger word. They have already built a detailed personal profile for all their users. People's personal data is "big data", and big data is the new oil.
  12. Avatar

Yep don't know why some people are so reluctant to get a club card??

Haircut_10020/11/2021 23:50

I really can’t see any issue here whatsoever. So Tesco offer cheaper p …I really can’t see any issue here whatsoever. So Tesco offer cheaper prices on some items if you sign up for a free Clubcard, where on earth is the problem with that?

Yes I haven't a clue what they have a problem with either.
    Edited by: "Ukguy101" 21st Nov 2021
  13. Avatar
    The recent awakening on how intrusive data collection is a bit "too little, too late". Most of the data that could be harvested has already been done by the likes of Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. What Tesco is asking for is just a sliver of it. Google Rewards these days offers 25-30p if you upload a photo of your grocery shopping receipt during a survey. I know someone who works in Google and she told me that the number of people who agree to do it is about 70-80% of those asked and have the receipt available - just demonstrates that people value their privacy at just 25p.
  14. Avatar
    bozo00721/11/2021 07:01

The recent awakening on how intrusive data collection is a bit "too …The recent awakening on how intrusive data collection is a bit "too little, too late". Most of the data that could be harvested has already been done by the likes of Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. What Tesco is asking for is just a sliver of it. Google Rewards these days offers 25-30p if you upload a photo of your grocery shopping receipt during a survey. I know someone who works in Google and she told me that the number of people who agree to do it is about 70-80% of those asked and have the receipt available - just demonstrates that people value their privacy at just 25p.

It's also interesting that many people perferred a personalised service when it comes to these companies. You can guarantee that people would complain if they signed up to a clubcard that didn't use their data and sent them offers for products that weren't relevant.

To OP, as others have said, don't like it, shop elsewhere
  15. Avatar
    It does feel a little bit more like punishing those without a clubcard instead of rewarding those who do.
  16. Avatar
    bozo00721/11/2021 07:01

The recent awakening on how intrusive data collection is a bit "too …The recent awakening on how intrusive data collection is a bit "too little, too late". Most of the data that could be harvested has already been done by the likes of Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. What Tesco is asking for is just a sliver of it. Google Rewards these days offers 25-30p if you upload a photo of your grocery shopping receipt during a survey. I know someone who works in Google and she told me that the number of people who agree to do it is about 70-80% of those asked and have the receipt available - just demonstrates that people value their privacy at just 25p.

Any time I've forgotten my wallet or clubcard I just sign up to a blank new account using a throwaway email on my phone before getting to the till.

Don't need to remember to bring the clubcard
    Dont need to give them any useful data
    Don't need to miss out on the differentiated prices

Edited by: "le_jaeger" 21st Nov 2021
  17. Avatar
    Sainsbury's do it now if you have a nectar card BUT theirs is worse as you need to use their scanner thing in store for your shopping and see prices in the app not in store. BUT they are more personalised to you it seems.
  18. Avatar
    My Tesco/Nectar/Morrisons tags are on both sets of car keys.

So having gone down to London with work on the train a couple of times recently, I’ve found myself without the tags and having to download the app. Haven’t properly looked through the Ts and Cs of the app, other than it asking for location services, but deleted it after buying a couple of bits from an Express store.

Last month, in the one near Farringdon station, a staff member said I’d soon need the app to be able to checkout, which seems unlikely, but I’ve not looked further into it.

To me, the whole thing seems a longer term push to get the Clubcard app on everyone’s phones, leaving the scannable tags as an alternative for those who push back
  19. Avatar
    obvious where Tesco are aheading..... £7.99 p/m clubcard will be the only option soon

20. Avatar
    DCollector21/11/2021 08:42

Sainsbury's do it now if you have a nectar card BUT theirs is worse as you …Sainsbury's do it now if you have a nectar card BUT theirs is worse as you need to use their scanner thing in store for your shopping and see prices in the app not in store. BUT they are more personalised to you it seems.

In my case, the Sainsbury's system is working as I am getting prices better than even their sale prices on some items (regular price 3.50, sale price 2.75, my price 2.46). And I was already using their phone app. They seem to pushing more people towards self service through this method so that they can redeploy cashiers to other roles in the store, given the staff shortage.
  21. Avatar
    bozo00721/11/2021 09:22

In my case, the Sainsbury's system is working as I am getting prices …In my case, the Sainsbury's system is working as I am getting prices better than even their sale prices on some items (regular price 3.50, sale price 2.75, my price 2.46). And I was already using their phone app. They seem to pushing more people towards self service through this method so that they can redeploy cashiers to other roles in the store, given the staff shortage.

Yes I do like it but it's still not advertised much.
  22. Avatar
    Its just daft, go asda or Sainsbury's for it.
    They want you to sign up to club card but many people will just go to those other places instead, it could make them lose customers and doesn't make sense
  23. Avatar
    It is a bit stupid but I doubt any data harvesting companies are going to be interested in my yellow sticker purchases

I have a card on my key fob, in my phone (didn't install the app till quite recently though) and in my purse.
  24. Avatar
    yep, stopped going to tesco, I dont always have a clubcard on me, its a con
  25. Avatar
    Mark_Hickman21/11/2021 09:54

Its just daft, go asda or Sainsbury's for it.They want you to sign up to …Its just daft, go asda or Sainsbury's for it.They want you to sign up to club card but many people will just go to those other places instead, it could make them lose customers and doesn't make sense

I doubt if they are losing any customers over it. If anything, the Clubcard prices probably encourage many more people to go there than the insignificant handful of people that will get upset and not go there over it.
  26. Avatar
    Just throw all your loyalty cards in the bin if you don’t want discounts and freebies.
    Do I have to take the free Lidl toilet rolls back because those without cards didn’t get them?
  27. Avatar
    They make money from tourist this way like Iceland the country does.
  28. Avatar
    It's not ideal. I think I've paid way more than I needed to a couple of times simply because I've forgotten to scan my club card. Sometimes the cashier reminds you, sometimes not. It's their choice to offer member only discounts and your choice whether or not you shop there. I personally prefer not to if I can avoid it now. I bet the older generation who have memory issues get stung with it a lot
  29. Avatar
    Tip

I don't carry any store cards as use app on phone and load the lot on that. Coop. Nectar. Clubcard ect. Scan at till
  30. Avatar
    Depending on where you live/visit in the USA you will see a lot of stores now offering PAID FOR "membership" pricing that once started with loyalty card. Think costco but without being big.

The loyalty card does little for the supermarkets like it did in the 90's.

I suspect Tescos will offer a flat fee or minimum yearly spend to get its "Clubcard" offers in the future.

They have said quite openly they intend to shake up the UK supermarket model.
    Edited by: "groenleader" 22nd Nov 2021
  31. Avatar
    It's up to Tesco how they price products and up to the customer whether they want to shop there and also if they want a Clubcard. They're the same offer prices as before but you need to use your Clubcard now to get them. Personally I just want the cheaper prices/deals so don't mind Clubcard
  32. Avatar
    So, cheaper products if one agrees to data harvest?

I suppose the legality of this policy hinges on whether the objection to having your data harvested can be categorised as a protected characteristic.

Can it?
Post a comment
Top Merchants