How does the American medical system compare to the NHS?

Found 4th Feb
Does the NHS compare to the system in America?
Community Updates
AskHealth & Beauty
Top comments
US Hospitals tend to be in America, NHS tend to be in the UK,
10 Comments
What you trying to find out, many people won’t have experienced both systems. They are totally different animals, one tax based the other insurance, it depends on the insurance you have in the US generally can be better but depend on the level of cover. From a tourist standpoint with the correct amount of insurance it can be great quick service and attentive doctor. Used the US service before about three times and the doctors were trained in England.
US Hospitals tend to be in America, NHS tend to be in the UK,
I'm asking from an ex pat point of view, should I be concerned he Drs are referring for tests and procedures unnecessarily due to health insurance?
SCuboid30 m ago

I'm asking from an ex pat point of view, should I be concerned he Drs are …I'm asking from an ex pat point of view, should I be concerned he Drs are referring for tests and procedures unnecessarily due to health insurance?

Probably best not to worry too much, healthcare is excellent in the US.
You need insurance..get a job in a company otherwise your looking at 20,000 for private for a family... where I worked on sabbatical..there were very few US contrators..
Edited by: "daalphamale" 4th Feb
davewave50 m ago

Probably best not to worry too much, healthcare is excellent in the US.

Health care US style can be excellent as it can be in the UK. It can also be is as patchy as in the UK but for different reasons.

The litigation culture prevents some procedures and advice. If a health worker of any rank wanders outside protocol, the lawyers will be queuing up to sue.

And you will find as big a variation in the UK as you do in the US according to where you go.

Do some research pertinent to your condition in both countries and choose accordingly.
ccnp3 h, 44 m ago

Health care US style can be excellent as it can be in the UK. It can also …Health care US style can be excellent as it can be in the UK. It can also be is as patchy as in the UK but for different reasons. The litigation culture prevents some procedures and advice. If a health worker of any rank wanders outside protocol, the lawyers will be queuing up to sue. And you will find as big a variation in the UK as you do in the US according to where you go. Do some research pertinent to your condition in both countries and choose accordingly.

Generally better quality than UK if you have insurance.
A simple course of anti biotics can cost over $100 - you have to have medical insurance, yes the quality is higher but you have to be prepared to pay for it.
SCuboid5 h, 29 m ago

I'm asking from an ex pat point of view, should I be concerned he Drs are …I'm asking from an ex pat point of view, should I be concerned he Drs are referring for tests and procedures unnecessarily due to health insurance?

They do this because someone is paying for it. If that person is you, then I would be very worried.
Nothing is free in the U.S medical system, they will demand to see your insurance cover before treating you, unless it's an emergency.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants