How does Xbox One controller charging work?

Posted 20th AprEdited by:"harrythefish"
Currently my son is getting through a pair of rechargeable Li-Ion AAs every 20 or so hours. Is there a better way? I'm confused about how the Xbox One S controller charging kit works. Once charged, does that mean you can use the controller wirelessly with nothing plugged in? That would presumably mean that the internal batteries have been recharged.

I like the idea that son could plug a cable into his controller overnight and the next day, unplug it to use it fully charged and wirelessly again. But is that a thing?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Do you have a rechargeable kit or rechargeable batteries. You mention both in your post but they're separate things.

AA batteries need charging outside the controller, a kit can be charged within.
Edited by: "Byno" 20th Apr
Yep that exactly how it works. You plug the cable between your Xbox and controller. If it needs charging you simply plug it in and continue playing. As you said you can charge it over night. You won’t have to worry about batteries again.
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 20th Apr
With the official charging kit, you get a rechargeable battery and a cable. The battery goes in the controller and you play and charge through the cable. Once the batter is charged, you can disconnect the cable and play wirelessly until the battery dies.

If you have the Xbox set to instant on, it will charge the controller when the console is turned off.
Edited by: "ReecesWaffle95" 20th Apr
Not sure I quite understand your setup. So currently you use rechargeable AA batteries that you charge in a separate device then plonk in the controller, but that your son can't use the controller while they're charging. Is that right?

By default the controller uses 2 x AA batteries. However you can get rechargeable battery packs like this (the official 'play and charge kit'):

amazon.co.uk/Mic…8-6

Though there are various 3rd party alternatives. With these type of packs you charge via the controller's USB port, so you can play wirelessly while it's charged and keep playing while it's charging. That said, even without any batteries in at all, I'm pretty sure the controller will work if connected directly to the console with a USB cable. Not sure without testing though.
Got this (paid about £20 at time). Comes with 2 battery packs. Put battery packs in controller and place on unit to charge. Light goes green when fully charged. Solid bit of kit.
40473153-YUyxQ.jpg
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 20th Apr
Li-on rechargeables generally only have a 1500mah ish capacity. Buy him some high capacity Ni-mh batteries instead, most of them are 2500-2800mah and will increase the time they last over his current ones significantly. A 4 pack of Eneloops will sort him out so he has a spare pair to swap in while the other pair charges.

The Xbox Play & Charge kit is only around 1400mah so won't last any longer than his current batteries do.
The official charging kit is the best yes you can charge it while you play and when full just unplug and it will still work, i wouldn't reccomend leaving battery on charge over night for safety risk is minimal but you don't want a house fire
cannibalwombat20/04/2020 10:56

Not sure I quite understand your setup. So currently you use rechargeable …Not sure I quite understand your setup. So currently you use rechargeable AA batteries that you charge in a separate device then plonk in the controller, but that your son can't use the controller while they're charging. Is that right?By default the controller uses 2 x AA batteries. However you can get rechargeable battery packs like this (the official 'play and charge kit'):https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Play-Charge/dp/B00CM1KU82/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2I7L1QZKLPMVM&dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+controller+play+and+charge&qid=1587376398&sprefix=xbox+one+controller+play%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-6Though there are various 3rd party alternatives. With these type of packs you charge via the controller's USB port, so you can play wirelessly while it's charged and keep playing while it's charging. That said, even without any batteries in at all, I'm pretty sure the controller will work if connected directly to the console with a USB cable. Not sure without testing though.

Current setup is, he brings me 2 dead rechargeable AAs, I give him 2 charged ones, A more convenient solution is needed! So it sounds like you take the AAs out and put the MS (or alternative) brand batteries in - are they also AAs or something more chunky that replaces the controllers AA battery holder?
harrythefish20/04/2020 11:43

Current setup is, he brings me 2 dead rechargeable AAs, I give him 2 …Current setup is, he brings me 2 dead rechargeable AAs, I give him 2 charged ones, A more convenient solution is needed! So it sounds like you take the AAs out and put the MS (or alternative) brand batteries in - are they also AAs or something more chunky that replaces the controllers AA battery holder?

geekstore.com/pro…BwE

Uses a rechargeable battery pack. Replaces the need for conventional batteries
There are two different types of charging though - the official one uses the micro USB port in the controller. Many third party ones, use a different micro USB port built into the battery pack, and you change or ditch the battery pack cover.
alg20/04/2020 14:51

There are two different types of charging though - the official one uses …There are two different types of charging though - the official one uses the micro USB port in the controller. Many third party ones, use a different micro USB port built into the battery pack, and you change or ditch the battery pack cover.

What I don't like about using the usb socket on the controller is, it will wear out if used daily. So that idea of the usb socket in the battery is good, but does it leave me better off than just swapping out a a pair of rechargeable 2000 mAh AAs?
Mind you, son did say if battery goes flat in the middle of a battle you can lose big, so to be able to plug in a usb and keep going may be a plus... but he needs a really long cable... dilemmas, dilemmas. What brand of 3rd party do you use and how many hours does it keep going for on a charge?
Edited by: "harrythefish" 20th Apr
harrythefish20/04/2020 15:03

What I don't like about using the usb socket on the controller is, it will …What I don't like about using the usb socket on the controller is, it will wear out if used daily. So that idea of the usb socket in the battery is good, but does it leave me better off than just swapping out a a pair of rechargeable 2000 mAh AAs?Mind you, son did say if battery goes flat in the middle of a battle you can lose big, so to be able to plug in a usb and keep going may be a plus... but he needs a really long cable... dilemmas, dilemmas. What brand of 3rd party do you use and how many hours does it keep going for on a charge?

I use the official one - but tend not to do really long sessions. I have found the quality of the official one to be better though, especially in terms of the XBox reporting battery life. And the official one comes with a long cable - 2.8m or something.

The third party ones have tended to not last as well, at least for me, and the batteries don't always fit quite as well. But others may have better recommendations.
There is the third sort, where the powerpack stays in the controller. And the controller sits in the charger. No cables. The one I gave you a link to or this from Argos for £14.99. Both work the same.
PM me the first part of your post code. I have one of the second type not being used, as my wife bought me the 'all in one' type for Christmas. If you nearby....
Based on the advice I'm reading here I decided to get the official Microsoft one at £20 delivered, Amazon by comparison is asking £25-£30. It comes with a 2.5m long cable. The ordering page on MS site is quite well hidden so here it is for anyone else:
xbox.com/en-…kit
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions