How easy is it to get a refund from Halfords?

Found 20th Aug 2017Edited by:"mutley1"
Our car battery died this afternoon so my husband went to Halfords to buy a car battery charger. He opened the box but before he used the charger, he thought he will give the car another go as the battery may have become useable again after the hour or so since it died.

Lo and behold, the car started to our relief!

We want to return the battery charger to Halfords as we don't need it and it has not been used although the box has been opened.

Anyone know if Halfords are ok with returns or are they sticklers and will say no because the box has been opened?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
So you're admitting that you've used it?
What a loser, you claim that yourself and your husband (or whichever one you are today) have properties and investments worth millions and yet you're quite happy to post on a public shopping forum for advice on how to defraud a national retailer!
It's opened and used, hopefully they won't
30 Comments
Dunno about warlords returns but a battery charger is a useful thing to have knocking about if you aren't short of space, especially if there is a question over your battery
So you recharged your battery using the battery charger (Yeah I know you didn't -honest !) and car is now fine - as you have told us you own several properties(in previous posts ) so what is the cost of a battery charger to you ?

On the other hand If your battery goes flat once (rendering your car temporarily useless) what is to stop it happening again ? - Always useful to have a battery charger to hand IMO .

And yes of course they will accept a return provided you have a valid reason for returning it .
Edited by: "rogparki" 20th Aug 2017
Depends if reboxing it will make it as good as new

If the box is ripped open, why should you expect a full refund?
You've been rumbled!
Original Poster
rogparki25 m ago

So you recharged your battery using the battery charger (Yeah I know you …So you recharged your battery using the battery charger (Yeah I know you didn't -honest !) and car is now fine - as you have told us you own several properties(in previous posts ) so what is the cost of a battery charger to you ? On the other hand If your battery goes flat once (rendering your car temporarily useless) what is to stop it happening again ? - Always useful to have a battery charger to hand IMO .And yes of course they will accept a return provided you have a valid reason for returning it .

it will depend on whether they believe me or not as to whether it has been used, which why i asked about people's experience with halfords. some retailers are better than others with accepting refunds. i have never returned anything to halfords before so i do not know how picky they are with the refunds.

the battery went flat because my husband left the key in the ignition with the fan on full blow as he got distracted by the dog so when we went back out to the car two hours later, the battery was obviously flat. this occurrence is unlikely to happen again so i would rather get a refund as there is no point in keeping things that i 'may' need.
So you're admitting that you've used it?
You seen what my spell check did to halfords? Love it!
psychobitchfromhell11 m ago

You should see what happened to my spellcheck with" pschobitchfromhell " - it Broke
In my previous experience of returning items to halfords they have always refunded without question. However can't recall opening something and then returning.
I knew I was missing something today

One thing you can rely on

More frequent than turning on the light bulb
More frequent than going to the toilet for a number 2
More frequent than a daily newspaper
More frequent than being able to watch the sunrise or sunset

One of mutley1's threads

yippeeeeee
rogparki3 m ago

You should see what happened to my spellcheck with" pschobitchfromhell " …You should see what happened to my spellcheck with" pschobitchfromhell " - it Broke

no y
I said no "y"
it's psychobitchfromhell

I would correct it before she reads it otherwise.....hint is in the name
philphil615 m ago

no yI said no "y"it's psychobitchfromhellI would correct it before she …no yI said no "y"it's psychobitchfromhellI would correct it before she reads it otherwise.....hint is in the name

Told you it broke it Glad you noticed (my effort wasn't wasted ) - and I thought it was subtle
Original Poster
shauneco42 m ago

In my previous experience of returning items to halfords they have always …In my previous experience of returning items to halfords they have always refunded without question. However can't recall opening something and then returning.

I will take it back tomorrow and ask. The box is still new as it was not sealed. The plastic bag that the charger was wrapped in has a slight tear on it so this may be considered non resaleable.

i know argos for example is very easy with refunds and dont mind the box being opened.
What a loser, you claim that yourself and your husband (or whichever one you are today) have properties and investments worth millions and yet you're quite happy to post on a public shopping forum for advice on how to defraud a national retailer!
philphil6152 m ago

no yI said no "y"it's psychobitchfromhellI would correct it before she …no yI said no "y"it's psychobitchfromhellI would correct it before she reads it otherwise.....hint is in the name

And I was being so tolerant today

And I was being nice and tolerant.
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog7 m ago

What a loser, you claim that yourself and your husband (or whichever one …What a loser, you claim that yourself and your husband (or whichever one you are today) have properties and investments worth millions and yet you're quite happy to post on a public shopping forum for advice on how to defraud a national retailer!

I am not defrauding them. I am going to tell them that the box was opened but the charger was not used so it is up to them if they will allow the refund. I want to know from others who have returned things to halfords if they have a strict or relaxed returns policy. There is no fraud intended here mate.

stop making things up.
So how did your car miraculously recharge it's battery?

"Stop making things up"
You started the game!
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 20th Aug 2017
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog2 m ago

So how did your car miraculously recharge it's battery?"Stop making things …So how did your car miraculously recharge it's battery?"Stop making things up"You started the game!

You dont know much about cars do you? Google how car batteries can restart after a few hours of rest. Irony, me telling you to use google
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 41 m ago

I just thought it was your nickname for them, I like halfrauds.
mutley134 m ago

You dont know much about cars do you? Google how car batteries can …You dont know much about cars do you? Google how car batteries can restart after a few hours of rest. Irony, me telling you to use google

Pretty sure (and happy to be proven wrong), that batteries can only recharge whilst the car is in motion, as it is the alternator that does this.

I've never heard of a battery self-charging whilst the ignition is off. I googled it and couldn't find anything - please could you share the info and source?
Edited by: "miikeyblue" 20th Aug 2017
It's opened and used, hopefully they won't
nothing they can do to stop you returning it for a refund,but watch out karma can be a bitch.
jamstaruk19721 m ago

nothing they can do to stop you returning it for a refund,but watch out …nothing they can do to stop you returning it for a refund,but watch out karma can be a bitch.

Except there is?
:\
Erubadhron23 m ago

Except there is?:\

not if you say item is faulty ,they wont check it,i know this is not right or fair,hence the karma comment

not really
miikeyblue11 h, 54 m ago

Pretty sure (and happy to be proven wrong), that batteries can only …Pretty sure (and happy to be proven wrong), that batteries can only recharge whilst the car is in motion, as it is the alternator that does this.I've never heard of a battery self-charging whilst the ignition is off. I googled it and couldn't find anything - please could you share the info and source?

This actually happened to me once. Went to refuel at the petrol station late night, went to pay and when I got back in the car it would not start. Kept trying for over 40 minutes as I had my kids with me and was too far from home to walk. Didn't work. I left the car overnight and the next day told my brother to go have a look and jump start it. He got in the car and turned it on and it worked. Don't know how or why but it worked, however it failed again a few weeks later so I had to get a new battery. So it could happen but I always keep a battery charger, tyre inflator etc in the car know, I take no chances.
Original Poster
zainarafiq1 h, 6 m ago

This actually happened to me once. Went to refuel at the petrol station …This actually happened to me once. Went to refuel at the petrol station late night, went to pay and when I got back in the car it would not start. Kept trying for over 40 minutes as I had my kids with me and was too far from home to walk. Didn't work. I left the car overnight and the next day told my brother to go have a look and jump start it. He got in the car and turned it on and it worked. Don't know how or why but it worked, however it failed again a few weeks later so I had to get a new battery. So it could happen but I always keep a battery charger, tyre inflator etc in the car know, I take no chances.

i have had batteries go flat in the car before and i left it for a few hours and try again later and it starts. same thing on ordinary batteries that won't work in a remote control as they have become too weak for the signal. if you take them out and leave them to settle, then put them back in then they work again, but obviously the battery will need replacing soon so this is only a short stop measure.

for a car battery all it needs is a very slight trickle to start the engine then you would have to drive the car around to charge it to full. the battery does not recharge if left as such, it just gets enough to restart the car so you can drive it and recharge it.

i have replied to this post but it is in answer to those who do not believe that this can happen.
I bought a crappy Halfords battery for my previous car - even without using the alarm my car managed to drain the battery after two weeks of not using it (in Winter).
Although I had the battery for a few months Halfords didn't want to know as it still held a charge (although less than 12v so it was useless).
Original Poster
Bigfootpete2 m ago

I bought a crappy Halfords battery for my previous car - even without …I bought a crappy Halfords battery for my previous car - even without using the alarm my car managed to drain the battery after two weeks of not using it (in Winter). Although I had the battery for a few months Halfords didn't want to know as it still held a charge (although less than 12v so it was useless).

my husband asked me to look up how much a new battery costs and i was surprised at the variation in price. £25 to £105. just go to show there are all different qualities.
Bigfootpete21st Aug

I bought a crappy Halfords battery for my previous car - even without …I bought a crappy Halfords battery for my previous car - even without using the alarm my car managed to drain the battery after two weeks of not using it (in Winter). Although I had the battery for a few months Halfords didn't want to know as it still held a charge (although less than 12v so it was useless).

I had exactly the same thing bought a halfords battery , went flat wouldn't start the car, took it back they did a test and because it held a charge they said their was nothing wrong with it , I then asked how many CCA it had they agreed it was in the low side and if it happened again they would replace it. I said if it happened again I would bill them for the recovery of the car to them to replace it in return they replaced it for a much better battery there and then and fitted it. Win win Always stand your ground
Dyslexic_Dog20th Aug

What a loser, you claim that yourself and your husband (or whichever one …What a loser, you claim that yourself and your husband (or whichever one you are today) have properties and investments worth millions and yet you're quite happy to post on a public shopping forum for advice on how to defraud a national retailer!

Just reading this post, quite interesting as this sad defrauding person has boasted and bragged about their landlord status at a later date. Just goes to show that what I pointed out to them was how this lying scumbag likes to live their life.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants