How easy is it to get gas gas into a block of flats

Found 12th Jun 2012
i saw this 2 bed flat the other day & it was nice. share of free hold with 965 years lease left?? anyway. its very nice with huge rooms. only problem is that its all electric. theres no gas in the building at all.

the building has 9 flats. I was thinking

can gas be brought to this property?
can I get it done sine I have share of freehold?
if not then who would I need to contact to get this done.

(i only ask this as another property I saw today has only had gas line fitted. I can see the pipes outside the building where they were routed to all the kitchens)

This is the only forum I'm on so I though someone could advise

Cheers
Community Updates
Misc
24 Comments
You might get 1 "gas" in, but two will be a challenge.

Good luck.
Pretty easy really, i'm sure they'll lay all the pipework on the surface......maybe build speed bumps over them.
very expensive. thousands of pounds about 10k and above i would think just as a guess.
you would also need agreement from all other freeholder sharers.

you could call the gas board and ask how much it would cost to get the supply in.
jonny619447

You might get 1 "gas" in, but two will be a challenge. Good luck.

can you define the answer? 2 will be a challange? I only need 1 gas line for my flat only Do I need permission from anyone?
lol i read that as "how easy is it to get gas out of a block of flats?" gas as in fart haha X) and thought "omg, can't be that bad can it? open a few windows"

OP- sorry, i don't know

Edited by: "Twist96" 12th Jun 2012
If it is available for neighbouring properties it may be possible but there will be a large cost. As such proving uneconomic to do it. If that is a make or break consideration it may be worth keeping on looking
WoolyM

If it is available for neighbouring properties it may be possible but … If it is available for neighbouring properties it may be possible but there will be a large cost. As such proving uneconomic to do it. If that is a make or break consideration it may be worth keeping on looking

yes if the other properties in the block have gas then it will be cheaper but if they have to bring the pipe into the area as it is in the middle of no where then you are talking mega bucks.

we asked for a quote to move the gas meter from one room to the room next door and was quoted £1,700 and this was just to move a gas meter so you can imagine how much it would cost to get gas supply into the property.
You know in France many households access gas via propane bottles. Piped gas only tends to be available in the towns.
Edited by: "WoolyM" 12th Jun 2012
WoolyM

You know in France many households access gas via propane bottles. Piped … You know in France many households access gas via propane bottles. Piped gas only tends to be available in the towns.

and scotland.
mutley1

yes if the other properties in the block have gas then it will be cheaper … yes if the other properties in the block have gas then it will be cheaper but if they have to bring the pipe into the area as it is in the middle of no where then you are talking mega bucks.we asked for a quote to move the gas meter from one room to the room next door and was quoted £1,700 and this was just to move a gas meter so you can imagine how much it would cost to get gas supply into the property.

the property I saw today has gas pipe routed right outside it. just need it routed into kitchen & meter fitted. some say its free?
I thought you wanted to get a 'gas gas' motorcycle into a block of flats. I was going to say ask Dougie Lampkin!

It will cost loads BTW - but there are lots of grants about for fuel switching!
montana78

the property I saw today has gas pipe routed right outside it. just need … the property I saw today has gas pipe routed right outside it. just need it routed into kitchen & meter fitted. some say its free?

It wont be free to get a meter fitted
montana78

can you define the answer? 2 will be a challange? I only need 1 gas line … can you define the answer? 2 will be a challange? I only need 1 gas line for my flat only Do I need permission from anyone?

Its just that you asked for "gas gas", as per title.
not gonna be worth it if you're only going to be there 3 years.
Fart in a plastic bag and tie it up tightly, then enter the flats.
we have moved to an oil property. gas pipe is a few meters away. it's gonna cost us 2.5k to be connected and 3K for the new gas boiler and installation.We are going ahead with it as i hate electric to cook on and is a nightmare to keep keep tabs on oil levels etc.

If u are to install gas you will also need permission from neighbours for the works to take place. and once u pay for the work to be carried out they will prob take advantage of the fact u brought the gas pipes to them and also go gas. so maybe u could ask if they all wana chip in and get gas.

Our gas company is a small one (GTC piplings) but i di ring the big ones, Scotia and they were quoting around 3-400 for the gas connection.

So basically, it can be done, but will be pricey. best to find out how far u are from nearest pipe and also ask neighbours to cut cost.

good luck
montana78

the property I saw today has gas pipe routed right outside it. just need … the property I saw today has gas pipe routed right outside it. just need it routed into kitchen & meter fitted. some say its free?

ahh i just saw this. well it shouldnt be too much, not 10K! but not free to get the meter no.

and factor in cost of new boiler as well
magicbeans

we have moved to an oil property. gas pipe is a few meters away. it's … we have moved to an oil property. gas pipe is a few meters away. it's gonna cost us 2.5k to be connected and 3K for the new gas boiler and installation.We are going ahead with it as i hate electric to cook on and is a nightmare to keep keep tabs on oil levels etc. If u are to install gas you will also need permission from neighbours for the works to take place. and once u pay for the work to be carried out they will prob take advantage of the fact u brought the gas pipes to them and also go gas. so maybe u could ask if they all wana chip in and get gas.Our gas company is a small one (GTC piplings) but i di ring the big ones, Scotia and they were quoting around 3-400 for the gas connection.So basically, it can be done, but will be pricey. best to find out how far u are from nearest pipe and also ask neighbours to cut cost.good luck

Why do you hate cooking on Electric? I dont find its alot different as had both.
magicbeans

we have moved to an oil property. gas pipe is a few meters away. it's … we have moved to an oil property. gas pipe is a few meters away. it's gonna cost us 2.5k to be connected and 3K for the new gas boiler and installation.We are going ahead with it as i hate electric to cook on and is a nightmare to keep keep tabs on oil levels etc. If u are to install gas you will also need permission from neighbours for the works to take place. and once u pay for the work to be carried out they will prob take advantage of the fact u brought the gas pipes to them and also go gas. so maybe u could ask if they all wana chip in and get gas.Our gas company is a small one (GTC piplings) but i di ring the big ones, Scotia and they were quoting around 3-400 for the gas connection.So basically, it can be done, but will be pricey. best to find out how far u are from nearest pipe and also ask neighbours to cut cost.good luck

funny you say that MB, i used to work for GTC
ZedEx

Why do you hate cooking on Electric? I dont find its alot different as … Why do you hate cooking on Electric? I dont find its alot different as had both.

can't cook chapattis on electric. need a naked flame. plus i just dont like it.
Rupz

funny you say that MB, i used to work for GTC

REALLY!? get me a discount!
magicbeans

can't cook chapattis on electric. need a naked flame. plus i just dont … can't cook chapattis on electric. need a naked flame. plus i just dont like it.REALLY!? get me a discount!

typical indian..... no! lol

different division anyway, i used to work on the electrical side.
Rupz

typical indian..... no! loldifferent division anyway, i used to work on … typical indian..... no! loldifferent division anyway, i used to work on the electrical side.

meh, u're no use to me then....i'm kidding. we already paid up. work begins on 5th july (i think) ish.... we are on last few drops of oil at the moment. refusing to fill the tank again till we get gas. hope it warms up so we don't need the hot water for showers either! LOL
magicbeans

Why do you hate cooking on Electric? I dont find its alot different as … Why do you hate cooking on Electric? I dont find its alot different as had both.

can't cook chapattis on electric. need a naked flame. plus i just dont like it.

Lies:

If you have an electric stove, keep the chapati on the griddle. With a wadded up paper towel to protect your fingers, press gently all around the chapati. Flip the chapati and press gently around the other side. This procedure should make the chapati puff up. (If you press too hard, the chapati will become too crunchy.) (_;)

Edited by: "ZedEx" 13th Jun 2012

share of free hold with 965 years lease left??

That doesn't even make sense.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants