How far do you guys think the tv tech will go?

Found 9th Jan
guys just to get an opinion i mean i was reading over the ces 2018 some of the new tech and im seeing 8k and now nividia are bringing out there tvs/monitors. i just wanna ask will 8k eventually become the norm and will it be a big difference also will you guys be getting into it?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

Think you should add a timeline to your claims, will 8k be the norm, well yes at somepoint, were not going to be using 4k tvs in 2150, but ,will it be a jump from 4k to 8k or just skip to 16k ect, who knows, depends how far other technology comes on until then, data speeds in homes and camera, which is doubtful

in my opionon majority of homes do not have great internet of cables for satelite so to be able to watch 4k content for the majority is not going to happen, what will make this change? a **** tonne of investment from the providers ripping up your front of your homes to install better fibre cables, I don't seeing this happening anytime soon, and think 4k will be more of a realistic measure for most people
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 9th Jan

Technology is growing rapidly in a few years maybe people will be more interested in owning there own Ai robot then a tv

Quite far.

whelan18911 m ago

Think you should add a timeline to your claims, will 8k be the norm, well …Think you should add a timeline to your claims, will 8k be the norm, well yes at somepoint, were not going to be using 4k tvs in 2150, but ,will it be a jump from 4k to 8k or just skip to 16k ect, who knows, depends how far other technology comes on until then, data speeds in homes and camera, which is doubtful in my opionon majority of homes do not have great internet of cables for satelite so to be able to watch 4k content for the majority is not going to happen, what will make this change? a **** tonne of investment from the providers ripping up your front of your homes to install better fibre cables, I don't seeing this happening anytime soon, and think 4k will be more of a realistic measure for most people

You only need as low as 13mbps 25mbps in most casesfor 4K streamed online and that’s pretty much already here for the most part. The 8k feed youtube did recently you needed 50mbps so again the tech doesn’t really need to go much further yet with broadband speeds average in 2017 being 36.2 and a good few years before commercial 8K we will easily stream it
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 9th Jan

Dannyrobbo3 m ago

You only need as low as 13mbps 25mbps in most casesfor 4K streamed online …You only need as low as 13mbps 25mbps in most casesfor 4K streamed online and that’s pretty much already here for the most part. The 8k feed youtube did recently you needed 50mbps so again the tech doesn’t really need to go much further yet with broadband speeds average in 2017 being 36.2 and a good few years before commercial 8K we will easily stream it

If you have 2 people watching yeah, but I can tell you on a evening in your neighbourhood, if people are all streaming 50mbs constantly along with there phones, tablets and smart vacuums and good what else it will throttle like feck

whelan18912 m ago

If you have 2 people watching yeah, but I can tell you on a evening in …If you have 2 people watching yeah, but I can tell you on a evening in your neighbourhood, if people are all streaming 50mbs constantly along with there phones, tablets and smart vacuums and good what else it will throttle like feck

The tech is still there, you can say the same about 4K but currently but it’s a non issue it dynamically adjusts quality to bandwidth. It’s not like we are a many years off with internet speeds you are talking about it like it’s in a future with flying cars and colonies on mars it’s really not. I get 300mbps now on virgin, BT are trialing ‘G.fast’ with 500mbps targets for 2020.

Compression is the main key point here. As the technology improves it becomes widely adopted. 8k seems a lot but its BS if you think high def TV is new as the technology was available last century. 8k is easily done now but price makes it less appealing. OLEDs are so damn cheap compared to the 1st colour CRT sets but we are used to cheap electronics. Look at the original 8 bit prices as those were insane.
Edited by: "kester76" 9th Jan

kester7632 m ago

Compression is the main key point here. As the technology improves it …Compression is the main key point here. As the technology improves it becomes widely adopted. 8k seems a lot but its BS if you think high def TV is new as the technology was available last century. 8k is easily done now but price makes it less appealing. OLEDs are so damn cheap compared to the 1st colour CRT sets but we are used to cheap electronics. Look at the original 8 bit prices as those were insane.

8K broadcasting via satellite started 18 months ago in japan, it’s certainly not new tech just not commercial.

Original Poster

But when will our eyes stop seeing the difference. I mean 8k i saw one in harrords it has to be a very big screen to notice anything different

Dannyrobbo25 m ago

8K broadcasting via satellite started 18 months ago in japan, it’s c …8K broadcasting via satellite started 18 months ago in japan, it’s certainly not new tech just not commercial.

It's bandwidth and decompression speed which is the main issue. 8k just isn't cost effective at the moment until we have the infrastructure to support the increased bandwidth. 4k is disappointing and no where near like looking in a mirror. I've heard around 6k is the sweet spot where it gets good enough to start fooling the eye.

4K looks like it will eventually filter through the industry over the next few decades. It's not of huge benefit to most people, but there are enough situations where it's noticeable that it'll eventually become the standard.

I'm not sure if there's a technical case for 8K. Resolution bumps get less effective as you can only make out detail down to a certain size. It may 8K is a margin for future use such as the return of 3D or any other technology that needs to use half the pixels alternately rather than anything that'll bring benefit now.

Although don't take showpieces at trade-shows as a reflection of the future. A lot of the time it's just technical demonstrations. The 88" 8K OLED is likely at least as much a statement from LG that they're almost ready to produce 44" 4K OLEDs than an actual product.

The major efforts in the display industry right now seem to be towards self-emitting displays (OLED, QDLED, Micro LED etc.) as well as towards technology to produce richer colours (Advanced Phospers, QDCF).

adeljay9230 m ago

But when will our eyes stop seeing the difference. I mean 8k i saw one in …But when will our eyes stop seeing the difference. I mean 8k i saw one in harrords it has to be a very big screen to notice anything different

The higher sample rate of anything will yield less aliasing so will look smoother and more natural. It's more a case of higher PPI over larger TV set. The idea is to get the sweet spot between PPI, physical size and actual resolution of source material. Remember that oversampling improves video quality when downscaling. like my HTC vive where super sampling improves text in VR even though the display doesn't change resolution or PPI.
Edited by: "kester76" 9th Jan

kester7635 m ago

It's bandwidth and decompression speed which is the main issue. 8k just …It's bandwidth and decompression speed which is the main issue. 8k just isn't cost effective at the moment until we have the infrastructure to support the increased bandwidth. 4k is disappointing and no where near like looking in a mirror. I've heard around 6k is the sweet spot where it gets good enough to start fooling the eye.

My point is that many people do have the bandwidth right now and decompression speed far satellite broadcasts are available now, remember 8k is broadcast in japan from HEVC in real time at 60fps.

H.264 (natively) doesn’t support greater than 4K displays so VP9 and above is the new codec that efficiently decodes 8k, currently Ryzen processors will easily decode 8K it’s just there’s not really an availability to play it.

they are hardly going to deliver 8K when the majority of us aren’t even watching Full HD on sky yet but the tech to deliver it is already there!

Dannyrobbo1 h, 46 m ago

My point is that many people do have the bandwidth right now and …My point is that many people do have the bandwidth right now and decompression speed far satellite broadcasts are available now, remember 8k is broadcast in japan from HEVC in real time at 60fps.H.264 (natively) doesn’t support greater than 4K displays so VP9 and above is the new codec that efficiently decodes 8k, currently Ryzen processors will easily decode 8K it’s just there’s not really an availability to play it.they are hardly going to deliver 8K when the majority of us aren’t even watching Full HD on sky yet but the tech to deliver it is already there!

Well sky will probably be switching more products to broadband so with new 300mbps connections we should be getting higher screen resolutions but poorer bitrates so back to square one I guess

I think NICAM stereo and teletext will be huge in the future and dare I say, channels selectors without wires.

I think it will get to the point where computers can render photo-realistic games/videos in real-time, then said computers will fit in tvs so you won't need any other devices attached to them, they will be able to play all formats and have enough processing power to perform any task need, all sound output will be wireless etc. You will still have a remote control though so you have something to lose down the back of the sofa when coins disappear.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants