Expired

How good are xbox 360 20 gb versions?

13 replies
Found 22nd Mar 2009
Hi!
am thinking about purchasing a pre owned xbox360 20gb version from 2005.
however i have just heard from a friend that they have had some problems with this version of console.
Is he correct?
The other thing is that Ive seen it for £108 - is there anywhere that anybody knows of that i can beat this price for an xbox?
cheers to you all and happy mum's day! lol
tom <:d>

13 Comments

Hi Tom,
Tbh, all versions of the x box 360 have suffered with whats been termed RROD. All consoles are warranteed for 3 years for this particular fault though. Obviously, a 2005 console would not now be covered by this..
If you could stretch to a new one it would be much better for you as there have been revisions with new chipsets etc.
As for best price deals, I'm sure some clever people will be along shortly to help.
All the best

I wouldn't touch a 2005 Xbox 360 with a bargepole! As Jefflan22's already pointed out, many launch consoles were poorly built and although there's a 3 year warranty for the main error code, it's now expired for those built in 2005.

Spend a few more pennies on a brand new one. You don't need a HDD right now unless you want to be playing Backward compatible Xbox 1 games on it, or looking to copy games to the HDD. Either way, because it's modular you can add it at a later date.

]http//ww…uk/
Seems a good guide to prices.

The cheapest price i can find for a Xbox 360 Arcade bundle is £99
]Link
Use the code zg314 to get this price
hope that helps you

Original Poster

Thats brill! thanks guys!
just one more query haha...
i guess it depends which relates to my needs, but would it make sense to but the arcade, then put some extra memory (say 60gb) on to it? or just buy a new console from the beginning?
many thanks again and as always your advice is much appriciated!

If you can afford £160 now, get the 60GB Premium.

Tom Edmonds;4707555
i guess it depends which relates to my needs, but would it make sense to but the arcade, then put some extra memory (say 60gb) on to it? or just buy a new console from the beginning?

If you decide to start with an arcade, this deal is good for a hard drive.

]http//sh…kit

Tom Edmonds;4707555

if you would want to upgrade the memory from 20Gb. then i think this deal for a 60Gb pack is best for you
]Link
but to do that would bring the price close to a Xbox 360 60Gb console anyway.
so i would say, if you want the cheapest option, get the arcade, if you want 60Gb get the premium

Original Poster

thanks!
so does this 'RROD' affect the 20gb hard drivesas well? as im not looking for tonnes of memory -just enough for a few downloads and a bit of music.

RROD affects the consoles, not the HD, these can be removed and used with other 360 consoles.

I have an early model 360 and all it's done is cause me problem after problem after problem. First was the RROD which was fixed, now it freezes in the middle of games and the DVD drawer will not eject with the bezel on (and this is just after relatively light use over 3 years, played on it probably less than 50 times). I would definitely not go for an earlier model myself.

Original Poster

ok! so is it possible to purchase a new 20gb HD then? - because my friend told me that they were old and that they were the bits that got affected by RROD - but thats great to know! thanks

ok bud, there are 3 branches of consoles. each with various chipset revisions and updates.
The Arcade xbox360. this is your most basic package. shipped with a memory card or inbuilt memory (but not much). alot of that memory will be used up with game saves and the xbox dashboard if your planning to use online. newer models have a hdmi port.
The Premium/Pro xbox360. this is the more mainstream version of the console. can come with either a 20gb or 60gb hard drive. this also comes with a headset so you can talk to people when online. newer models come with the hdmi port. the hard drives are really needed if you plan to download alot from xbox live.
The Elite xbox360. the most expensive of the xbox consoles. this is a black version with a 120gb hard drive. only differences with this and any of the other models now is the colour, larger hard drive and an optical out on the tv leads i believe.

in my opinion the best you can get is the 60gb pro/premium console. best value for money and has enough storage space to keep you going for awhile. try to get a new console if you can. the older it is the more likely it is to experience red ring of death issues.

Original Poster

thanks!
just tryin 2 get the best i can 4 me money lol
so whats the cheapest anyone has seen a new Xbox with 20gb - 60gb on it?
im glad people know their stuff i'm just useless im afraid.
cheers
tom
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?35
    2. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…79
    3. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?22
    4. Electric Bike Advice.11

See more discussions