Expired

How good are your parking skills?

Found 20th Feb
So I just went to go out in my car to find it crammed in by other cars I'm relatively new to driving so after a few minutes of trying I decided not to try anymore.there was about 1 foot from my car to the building and 1.5 foot from the van that doubled parked .I can easily get out of tight parallel parks usually but this time I seemed to be just scuffing mirrors the 3m stated is actually 2.3m)2897308-YsAOV.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
cctv of jackit arriving...

33298543-TfBrv.jpg
were abouts in hull are you working in, if it is near me you can use my drive as i am at work all day from 5am to 6pm
43 Comments
You must be skinny if you managed to get into your car in the first place.
Admittedly I'm a new driver and also drive a car with no power steering but I am one of the few who keep their car in the garage, going in and out I have maybe 6 inches either side. I think the lack of power steering actually helps as its not so easy to over correct a manoeuvre. A mistake on my part would be costly as apart from the "cabin area" the bodywork is pretty much one of a kind and would be impossible to replace. It was actually harder to do in a Peugeot 206 I had before which was my first car that I had for 2 months.

33295761-Rfkhk.jpg
Just to clarify the drivers door wasn't on the building side .i tried reverse and hard right but didn't seem to have room
I remember years back I had parked up to go shopping and on arriving back a car behind and in front had parked close to my bumpers so there was no way I could get out and I was stuck and fuming. I looked at the car in front and noticed it was not in gear so edged up to its bumper with my car and shoved it out the way, just enough for me to get out.

BTW did you not pull your mirrors in and the vans next to you?
I pulled my mirror in yes but not the van.it annoys me as I'm surpose to be working up the road on a job soon and now will have to struggle getting the tools on my bike.(those responsible for these vechiclesyet to be seen)
harlzter1 h, 0 m ago

Admittedly I'm a new driver and also drive a car with no power steering …Admittedly I'm a new driver and also drive a car with no power steering but I am one of the few who keep their car in the garage, going in and out I have maybe 6 inches either side. I think the lack of power steering actually helps as its not so easy to over correct a manoeuvre. A mistake on my part would be costly as apart from the "cabin area" the bodywork is pretty much one of a kind and would be impossible to replace. It was actually harder to do in a Peugeot 206 I had before which was my first car that I had for 2 months.[Image]

Your number plate says BUM doesn't it?

Parking? Probably pretty cruddy. Haven't driven since my test. Seems mad I can go out and legally drive after no practice for a few years!
From what I can see, you should've backed straight out towards the car behind, then gone forward again but tight as you can to the van. Then keep your eye in your wing mirror at the gap to the van, keep it a tiny gap and slowly inch out whilst turning your wheel right hand down slightly. Inch out carefully and maybe redo this a few times to get out safely.
My parking skills are pretty good thank you.
were abouts in hull are you working in, if it is near me you can use my drive as i am at work all day from 5am to 6pm
To avoid this next time try reverse parking. That way it’s easier to drive out.
Learning to drive a forklift can massively help with parking and reversing too. Appreciate that’s not an option for most people.
Like most skills they regular require practice to become a master at them. Get yourself a couple of cones and head off to a industrial estate on a sunday and get practicing.

My parking skills hit master level after a stint living in london
I'm not a female, so my driving skills are great
I was fine at parking until I got a car with parking sensors. It beeps at me if I am within three miles of a wall or car. I hate it because it makes me second guess myself
harlzter3 h, 42 m ago

Admittedly I'm a new driver and also drive a car with no power steering …Admittedly I'm a new driver and also drive a car with no power steering but I am one of the few who keep their car in the garage, going in and out I have maybe 6 inches either side. I think the lack of power steering actually helps as its not so easy to over correct a manoeuvre. A mistake on my part would be costly as apart from the "cabin area" the bodywork is pretty much one of a kind and would be impossible to replace. It was actually harder to do in a Peugeot 206 I had before which was my first car that I had for 2 months.[Image]

What sort of car is it, some sort of kit car with a V8?
Mirrors in & floor it.
Bure112 h, 14 m ago

Just opened the popcorn will sit back and watch the snowflakes come breezing in and bawling their eyes out.
OldEnglish1 h, 40 m ago

I reckon it is a beetle with a custom front fitted. The back side windows certainly have the right curve on them.
Bure114 h, 1 m ago

I’m male... mine are crap, I’m not sure it’s gender specific...
depends if there is a free space - amazing how good I got at parallel parking when it meant I didn't have to pay for parking at work!
From the picture and description I really am none the wiser. I don't see any roads or a van on the picture and have no idea where you can and can't drive on the picture.
cctv of jackit arriving...

33298543-TfBrv.jpg
cmdr_elito5 h, 47 m ago

Learning to drive a forklift can massively help with parking and reversing …Learning to drive a forklift can massively help with parking and reversing too. Appreciate that’s not an option for most people.

Great for shifting cars that are parked too close to you.
Oneday772 h, 6 m ago

I reckon it is a beetle with a custom front fitted. The back side windows …I reckon it is a beetle with a custom front fitted. The back side windows certainly have the right curve on them.

I'll go with that. If you disregard the front end you can see it.
brilly50 m ago

cctv of jackit arriving...[Image]

I've seen that so many times, but, it never fails to make me laugh
OldEnglish4 h, 36 m ago

Beetle with a rollswagen kit, its the bonnet all four wings and engine cover, plus its had larger wheels on it, the kit is almost as old as the car itself. They are all fibreglass too so no rust plus they are all bolt on replacements, I have added up the cost and to return it to standard parts would run between £3-400 but add about £1500-£2k to what I paid for it.

from the link:
"The car was a joke, of course, and there was once a time where you could drive a car that didn't take itself so seriously and be happy with it, day after day. It wasn't about status or making your car look tougher or faster or whatever — it was simply funny. A good time.

Whoever drives a Beetle with a full-on Rolls-Royce kit isn't just someone fresh out of figs to give — it's someone who isn't even aware figs are still available at all, because they've been having too good a time to even check."

Yep that really sold me to the car, its great fun to drive, you get to the end of the journey with a stupid grin on your face every time.
MSK.20th Feb

Your number plate says BUM doesn't it? :DParking? Probably pretty …Your number plate says BUM doesn't it? :DParking? Probably pretty cruddy. Haven't driven since my test. Seems mad I can go out and legally drive after no practice for a few years!

I wish! I'd have paid extra for that if it did.
harlzter33 m ago

Beetle with a rollswagen kit, its the bonnet all four wings and engine …Beetle with a rollswagen kit, its the bonnet all four wings and engine cover, plus its had larger wheels on it, the kit is almost as old as the car itself. They are all fibreglass too so no rust plus they are all bolt on replacements, I have added up the cost and to return it to standard parts would run between £3-400 but add about £1500-£2k to what I paid for it.from the link:"The car was a joke, of course, and there was once a time where you could drive a car that didn't take itself so seriously and be happy with it, day after day. It wasn't about status or making your car look tougher or faster or whatever — it was simply funny. A good time.Whoever drives a Beetle with a full-on Rolls-Royce kit isn't just someone fresh out of figs to give — it's someone who isn't even aware figs are still available at all, because they've been having too good a time to even check."Yep that really sold me to the car, its great fun to drive, you get to the end of the journey with a stupid grin on your face every time.

Lol, yes i can see it's a beetle now. You'll be going to all these vw meets up & down the country now then.
harlzter37 m ago

I wish! I'd have paid extra for that if it did.

"Do you drive a Beetle with a Rolls-Royce kit?" If the answer is yes, I'd say you're golden."

Boom
"Rolls-Royce was clearly in the legal right to demand these stop being made. But I think a much cooler version of Rolls-Royce could have looked the other way, and just smiled to themselves at these ridiculous cars-in-costume."

Perfectly sums it up.
OldEnglish42 m ago

Lol, yes i can see it's a beetle now. You'll be going to all these vw …Lol, yes i can see it's a beetle now. You'll be going to all these vw meets up & down the country now then.

Needs a few finishing touches, not much though the seats have been reupholstered and new trim panels plus a new carpet, new floor pans etc, the only thing really lets it down is headlining but thats only about £70. Its a bit crazy that from May 20th it will be MOT exempt though, the fact that its tax free and cheap insurance is what really swung it for me, a Peugeot 206 1.4 8v was around £900 this is £368 fully comp thats over £600 a year cheaper totted up. Twas just another random ebay find after clicking related items a few times on what started off as looking for car speakers. 300 mile round trip and she was mine.
harlzter11 h, 41 m ago

Needs a few finishing touches, not much though the seats have been …Needs a few finishing touches, not much though the seats have been reupholstered and new trim panels plus a new carpet, new floor pans etc, the only thing really lets it down is headlining but thats only about £70. Its a bit crazy that from May 20th it will be MOT exempt though, the fact that its tax free and cheap insurance is what really swung it for me, a Peugeot 206 1.4 8v was around £900 this is £368 fully comp thats over £600 a year cheaper totted up. Twas just another random ebay find after clicking related items a few times on what started off as looking for car speakers. 300 mile round trip and she was mine.

Great stuff, i love to see something a bit different driving around. I personally wouldn't buy a modern car myself. Still got my old AXGT & a T4 i use daily. Just keep on top of the rust mate, it's the biggest enemy of cars like yours & it should last you a lifetime. Enjoy mate.
Edit; just reading yours is fibreglass.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 21st Feb
Congratulations OP, on driving something a bit different from the herd. I applaud you, its not to my tastes but infinitely better than the hordes of bland euro boxes on the road.
MIDURIX18 h, 35 m ago

From the picture and description I really am none the wiser. I don't see …From the picture and description I really am none the wiser. I don't see any roads or a van on the picture and have no idea where you can and can't drive on the picture.

Thank god it's not just me, I've come back and looked at that picture about four times to work out why reversing out of the space is a problem !
OldEnglish9 h, 5 m ago

Great stuff, i love to see something a bit different driving around. I …Great stuff, i love to see something a bit different driving around. I personally wouldn't buy a modern car myself. Still got my old AXGT & a T4 i use daily. Just keep on top of the rust mate, it's the biggest enemy of cars like yours & it should last you a lifetime. Enjoy mate. Edit; just reading yours is fibreglass.

Its recently had new floor pans too> The damn thing is costing me more in fuel though not because of poorer MPg but just because I keep finding excuse to go out for a drive somewhere in it.
There wasn't enough space for reversing out .
JACKIT994 m ago

There wasn't enough space for reversing out .

Was there something behind you then? 1cm either side is enough to reverse out from if need be.
123thisisme2 h, 23 m ago

Was there something behind you then? 1cm either side is enough to reverse …Was there something behind you then? 1cm either side is enough to reverse out from if need be.

i took it to mean he had to drive between left hand car and building through the 'keep clear' bit
the van double parked against him cuts off the angle

maybe
cmdr_elito20th Feb

Learning to drive a forklift can massively help with parking and reversing …Learning to drive a forklift can massively help with parking and reversing too. Appreciate that’s not an option for most people.

Do cars have rear wheel steering then
cliosport6512 h, 22 m ago

Do cars have rear wheel steering then

No but it gets you used to moving in reverse and also manoeuvres close to objects
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants