Groups

How good is blu-ray?

Banned
    is there a big difference between a normal dvd and a blu-ray? Is it worth it to buy a blu-ray player?

Thanks for any help

27 Comments

Banned

of course its better it has much more definition but not all blue rays are as good as each other

Banned

The assumption is you have a HD tv. If so then yes it's worth starting to invest in Blu.

I didn't think I would notice any difference, but I definately do :thumbsup:

There's been mixed opinions, some people don't notice that much of a picture quality improvement.

This all depends on size of your television and viewing distance. The closer and bigger your tv, the better the picture.

if you have an HD tv that is 26" or above, then go for it (on the basis that you like films). it is superb. just watched Australia - fantastic film and pic quality :thumbsup:

Banned

Do you actually notice the lesser resolution and quality of DVD? If it looks great to you and you're not that interested in movies anyway then you may want to wait until prices drop some more.

the picture is very good on the well transferred films, but the picture aside if you have a good surround sound system the HD audio sound stages are immense, crystal clear dialogue and good movement.

if you cant afford a blu ray player go for an unscaling dvd player, very impressive aswell:thumbsup:

cribert;6612605

if you cant afford a blu ray player go for an unscaling dvd player, very … if you cant afford a blu ray player go for an unscaling dvd player, very impressive aswell:thumbsup:

Good advice.

OP think of VHS to DVD

Nowhere near that good :w00t:

If you have a HDTV it's well worth it. We have Sky HD and a PS3 for blurays. My wife said she wasn't bothered about HD films and sport. Now she says she couldn't go back to SD TV for movies and the like. The picture and sound quality improvement is fantastic.

We only have a 32" 1080p Panasonic and a PS3 and the difference between dvd and bluray is astounding, try it if you can. OH even enjoys watching the football on the HD channels compared to normal ones, snob lol

in my opinion your better getting a hdmi then dvds are cheaper quality isnt as good but not much difference

Worth a punt, go hunt round your currys:
    hotukdeals.com/ite…39-

I couldnt spot any difference between a PS3 and it, on my TV.

Last time they were posted on here they were 19.99 too.

Banned

dcx_badass;6614050

It's relative, obviously getting a HDTV will make your normal TV look … It's relative, obviously getting a HDTV will make your normal TV look crap. Compare TV on a normal CRT and a HDTV, the CRT destroys the HDTV quality wise in every single way.Same with a DVD, the dvd will be better quality on the CRT.

Compare TV on a normal CRT and a HDTV? You realise that makes little sense!

Banned

dcx_badass;6614170

Yes it does, HDTV's can produce worse pictures than a normal TV, I was … Yes it does, HDTV's can produce worse pictures than a normal TV, I was just letting them know.

Compare what TV though? You're not defining a source type there. Think about it...

dcx_badass;6614170

Yes it does, HDTV's can produce worse pictures than a normal TV, I was … Yes it does, HDTV's can produce worse pictures than a normal TV, I was just letting them know.

I suppose an analogue signal would look better on CRT Can you still get analogue TV?). Digital freeview generally looks better on a HDTV in my experience as the TVs do a reasonable job of upscaling. DVDs look better on HDTV as again the TV does a lot of upscaling processing. I was always advised to let the TV (which generally cost £500 plus) to do the upscaling rather than a DVD player which costs £20 as the upscaling technology is better. Sky looks better through HDTV than CRT and obviously Sky HD does. The important thing when watching freeview or normal Sky through a HDTV is to have the colours, brightness etc set right. Most HDTVs are set up so bright out of the box as this looks better on a shopfloor under bright lights. When you get it home and you watch it with dimmed lights at home in an evening eveything is too bright and contrasts too harsh; the picture needs softening. Search for your make and model of TV at AVforums and you can usually find some reccomnded set ups for different sources.

dcx_badass;6615917

I can only get analogue at home, I can't tell if you were been serious or … I can only get analogue at home, I can't tell if you were been serious or are just ignorant. Anyway I have a HDTV and a CRT and freeview looks a million times better on the CRT.

I'm not ignorant just didn't know when the digital switchover is happening as I have only used freeview or Sky for the last 4/5 years; so no need for personal jibes really is there. If you have freeview then you have digital anyway. The picture quality using freeview will be affected by both the quality of the freeview box and the quality of the TV. I know several people who prefer a CRT picture still as it has a warmer, less harsh picture.

dcx_badass;6616034

Freeview will be worse on a HDTV than a SD tv, no matter what, simples.

Not in my experience. My HDTV has a freeview tuner built in and the TV does a fantatsic job of upscaling the picture. However, ITV always seems to look worse but I have read that that is something to with the quality that ITV broadcast some of their programmes in. Certainly freeview on some older HDTVs was pretty poor but the modern ones have great picture enhaancing engines. The point is, there are so many variables that a comparison is impoissible as there are so many CRTs around and so many HDTVs around, then you have to take into account reception quality, DVD player quality etc

dcx_badass;6617514

SD will always look better on a SDTV (LCD or CRT, but CRT is better) than … SD will always look better on a SDTV (LCD or CRT, but CRT is better) than a HDTV, it's a fact. Look at the pixel count. It's like a digital camera if you have a low resolution picture and make it bigger the picture gets worse, it's simple.

Based on your theory DVD must look better on CRT also then. And you know what, I don't care really, I like my HDTV, you like your CRT, happy days

Banned

dcx_badass;6614050

It's relative, obviously getting a HDTV will make your normal TV look … It's relative, obviously getting a HDTV will make your normal TV look crap. Compare TV on a normal CRT and a HDTV, the CRT destroys the HDTV quality wise in every single way. Same with a DVD, the dvd will be better quality on the CRT.

contradicting yourself there

getting a HDTV will make your normal TV look crap

and

Compare TV on a normal CRT and a HDTV, the CRT destroys the HDTV :w00t:

stuntman9883;6614113

in my opinion your better getting a hdmi then dvds are cheaper quality … in my opinion your better getting a hdmi then dvds are cheaper quality isnt as good but not much difference

you sir are stupid

so is blu-ray any good..............

or this is about crt and hdtv dumbness

All depends on TV size, viewing distance and quality of HD on the disc.

For the most part I would say yes I do notice an improvement.

As far as the CRT/HDTV debate over standard SD signal I find my new TV to be far superior. That said I did jump from a clunky 28" no brand crt to a Sony 40" LCD. I did have to alter the terrible out of the box settings though.

its not quite as good as betamax but then nothing ever will be

Banned

dcx_badass;6631674

I did reply to this but it's been deleted.By normal TV I meant as in … I did reply to this but it's been deleted.By normal TV I meant as in broadcast TV programmes, so no I didn't contradict myself at all.

maybe you should learn to express yourself better then as your comment was a total contradiction :-D

i understood and agreed with every dcx badass said
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1929
      2. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892427
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764270
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846185

See more discussions