Groups

How Hard is it to setup an IRC Sever...

with someone who has good computer knowledge?

7 Comments

Original Poster

awesome thanks ^. Just need to see if my ISP allows me to do it now lol

black gerbil1;4038449

awesome thanks ^. Just need to see if my ISP allows me to do it now lol

best bet would to buy a vps server from an american host (dreamhosts, hostgator etc)

then set it up on there

or you could host it yourself but it does depend on your isp, your broadband speed and you will need a static IP address, instead of a dynamic one,

all internet users are given dynamic ones, the IP address is randomly given out when you log on to your internet
    a static ip is when you always keep the same one, this will cost you up to £10 a month extra for it

i would never think of hosting a server without a static IP as your dns service (web address etc) will have to be reset everytime your isp changes your IP

Original Poster

faevilangel;4038528

best bet would to buy a vps server from an american host (dreamhosts, … best bet would to buy a vps server from an american host (dreamhosts, hostgator etc)then set it up on there or you could host it yourself but it does depend on your isp, your broadband speed and you will need a static IP address, instead of a dynamic one,all internet users are given dynamic ones, the IP address is randomly given out when you log on to your interneta static ip is when you always keep the same one, this will cost you up to £10 a month extra for iti would never think of hosting a server without a static IP as your dns service (web address etc) will have to be reset everytime your isp changes your IP

Im just using it for some tests, i guess ill try and host one on a server then you mentioned then see what happens.

thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

black gerbil1;4038574

Im just using it for some tests, i guess ill try and host one on a server … Im just using it for some tests, i guess ill try and host one on a server then you mentioned then see what happens.thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

you will need to ask them if you can host an irc server with them, but many vps servers should be ok with this ...... american ones should be about £5-6 a month....

the idea of a vps server is that instead of sharing a server, you get it to all yourself, its more expensive but your gonna have higher stability

as i said above, check the faq's or even use the livechat on the host's site, just to check they allow it

Original Poster

faevilangel;4038636

you will need to ask them if you can host an irc server with them, but … you will need to ask them if you can host an irc server with them, but many vps servers should be ok with this ...... american ones should be about £5-6 a month....the idea of a vps server is that instead of sharing a server, you get it to all yourself, its more expensive but your gonna have higher stabilityas i said above, check the faq's or even use the livechat on the host's site, just to check they allow it

cool cool, its for a project you see,them links seem very helpful too.. Do you think Justin.tv/sti…kam use IRC or do you think they have there own protocol

black gerbil1;4038706

cool cool, its for a project you see,them links seem very helpful too.. … cool cool, its for a project you see,them links seem very helpful too.. Do you think Justin.tv/stickam use IRC or do you think they have there own protocol

i don't think they irc, its more of a video hosting site ..... just with live streaming..

im not that clued up on it so im stabbing in the dark here but all you should need to do is build a video player script and then hook a video camera upto your pc,

you may need more software, have a google about but also try [url]www.ustream.tv[/url], they do what justin.tv does

they will host your video etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3611382
      2. EE Retention Deal S811
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1331
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work22

See more discussions