How having a gamble can affect getting a mortgage.

Posted 5th Jun
Is mortgage affected if they can see you gamble on bank statements
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
When the fun stops. Stop.
26 Comments
I believe that it's not where your spending your money, it's how your spending you're money, as in managing your money well
Unless you are just about breaking even with your finances and there is a clear issue i.e you are low on money because of gambling then it won't be an issue
Its all relevant to income etc,showing gambling deposits alone doesn't affect it if your finances are ok.
If it worries you just set up a Revolut account or similar for gambling, and transfer to it from your main bank account.
zxking05/06/2020 17:53

If it worries you just set up a Revolut account or similar for gambling, …If it worries you just set up a Revolut account or similar for gambling, and transfer to it from your main bank account.

Great idea just looked into the coral connect card aswell that you top up in store and use the funds like online but without any deposits showing on statement
AndyRoyd05/06/2020 18:05

Lots of comments in similar thread last month …Lots of comments in similar thread last month https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/mortgage-help-3456345

Thanks for this done great info
John114a05/06/2020 17:57

Great idea just looked into the coral connect card aswell that you top up …Great idea just looked into the coral connect card aswell that you top up in store and use the funds like online but without any deposits showing on statement

.....or PayPal. I deposit in to sky bet via PayPal, and it just shows PayPal on your statement. Using PayPal also gives you instant withdrawals to PayPal, then instant from PayPal to your bank, as opposed to a few days skybet to bank account.
When the fun stops. Stop.
england199605/06/2020 18:09

.....or PayPal. I deposit in to sky bet via PayPal, and it just shows ….....or PayPal. I deposit in to sky bet via PayPal, and it just shows PayPal on your statement. Using PayPal also gives you instant withdrawals to PayPal, then instant from PayPal to your bank, as opposed to a few days skybet to bank account.

Going to start doing this saves a trip to the shop to top up my connect card thanks
england199605/06/2020 18:09

.....or PayPal. I deposit in to sky bet via PayPal, and it just shows ….....or PayPal. I deposit in to sky bet via PayPal, and it just shows PayPal on your statement. Using PayPal also gives you instant withdrawals to PayPal, then instant from PayPal to your bank, as opposed to a few days skybet to bank account.

I 2nd PayPal
If you don’t bank with the mortgage company they can’t see your bank information
ashmac05/06/2020 19:14

If you don’t bank with the mortgage company they can’t see your bank inf …If you don’t bank with the mortgage company they can’t see your bank information

Really? How else are they able to do an affordability check and also ensure able to check that you can get a loan as they won't just go on bank balance would they?
Edited by: "Sc4mp0" 5th Jun
Sc4mp005/06/2020 19:17

Really? How else are they able to do an affordability check and also …Really? How else are they able to do an affordability check and also ensure able to check that you can get a loan as they won't just go on bank balance would they?

Yeah you have to provide bank statements, well I've always had to.
Rusty8205/06/2020 19:53

I'll be honest Rusty, our mortgage is with Santander which I've never even come close to dealing with before and they needed to see my bank statements.

I was just looking forward to his answer based on my response.
To be honest, the fact you asked the question suggests you are already doubting the wisdom of gambling in your situation. I don't know the specifics of your case, I don't want to, but I'd you can readily afford your gambling it shouldn't be an issue. If, however, it's affected your credit rating this will show up on your statements and may likely affect your suitability or creditworthiness.
Would you loan money to a gambler?
zxking05/06/2020 17:53

If it worries you just set up a Revolut account or similar for gambling, …If it worries you just set up a Revolut account or similar for gambling, and transfer to it from your main bank account.

The only ask for 2 months worth of statements just don't gamble for those 2 months. If you can't stop for 2 months, seek professional help.
Rusty8205/06/2020 19:53

I mean the can’t see all your transactions and check your account ,just give them a month with no gambling on
spoo05/06/2020 22:59

The only ask for 2 months worth of statements just don't gamble for those …The only ask for 2 months worth of statements just don't gamble for those 2 months. If you can't stop for 2 months, seek professional help.

I thought they would want to see more than 2 months worth of statements who did you see about the mortgage please
ashmac05/06/2020 23:11

I mean the can’t see all your transactions and check your account ,just g …I mean the can’t see all your transactions and check your account ,just give them a month with no gambling on

If that's the case then there will be next to nothing on there gambling wise been nothing to have a bet on ha
When i had my mortgage done, the gambling showed on the statement, it just meant i had to find a bank that would let me loan.
My last remortgage asked for 3 months bank statements. Luckily I didn't use the debit feature on my card to deposit money to gamble in the bookies, in those 3 months 😄
I wouldn't bet on it......
John114a05/06/2020 23:25

I thought they would want to see more than 2 months worth of statements …I thought they would want to see more than 2 months worth of statements who did you see about the mortgage please

Natwest 3 years ago, when we researched at the time 2 months seemed to be the norm although it is possible some lenders will ask for more. I found the MSE house buying forum really good for this sort of advice, there's a few professional mortgage advisors there who know the market inside out.
Edited by: "spoo" 6th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text