Groups

How important are baby names

Should you think about family members when choosing your name for your baby?

44 Comments

depends like for example if a family member passed away in an accident or by illness or you were particularly close to them then some people name their child after them

I guess thats down to the type of family you come from in the first place, traditions etc.
    But my own opinion is that it should be entirely up to the parents of the child.

I think it's always a nice gesture to consider, but ultimately the choice is down to the parents and they shouldn't be influenced.

You can if you want to, but in answer to your question, my opinion is no, you shouldn't have to consider family. Your baby, your choice.

Original Poster

kingk123

depends like for example if a family member passed away in an accident or … depends like for example if a family member passed away in an accident or by illness or you were particularly close to them then some people name their child after them

Yes. That would be a nice gesture.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

I guess thats down to the type of family you come from in the first … I guess thats down to the type of family you come from in the first place, traditions etc.But my own opinion is that it should be entirely up to the parents of the child.

Agree

did you see the voice the other day.
    that girl was called truly scrumptious!!
    wtf?? oO

Original Poster

robertr

I think it's always a nice gesture to consider, but ultimately the choice … I think it's always a nice gesture to consider, but ultimately the choice is down to the parents and they shouldn't be influenced.

robertr

I think it's always a nice gesture to consider, but ultimately the choice … I think it's always a nice gesture to consider, but ultimately the choice is down to the parents and they shouldn't be influenced.

Yes, you are quite right

srp111

did you see the voice the other day.that girl was called truly … did you see the voice the other day.that girl was called truly scrumptious!!wtf?? oO

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Very important, think of every possibly rhyme or innuendo and avoid those because people aren't nice.

Or you could always use the name as a second name, we called our son with a name we liked, and then both my partner's and my dad's name. Made my dad very happy, and doesn't impact on the little dude much

Original Poster

LillyM

Or you could always use the name as a second name, we called our son with … Or you could always use the name as a second name, we called our son with a name we liked, and then both my partner's and my dad's name. Made my dad very happy, and doesn't impact on the little dude much

That was a very special thing to do...It is important to include those who have invested so much love in you!

LillyM

Or you could always use the name as a second name, we called our son with … Or you could always use the name as a second name, we called our son with a name we liked, and then both my partner's and my dad's name. Made my dad very happy, and doesn't impact on the little dude much

​I did exactly the same @lillyM

mousey

That was a very special thing to do...It is important to include those … That was a very special thing to do...It is important to include those who have invested so much love in you!

It was important to me as my partner lost his dad years ago so it was a way to say he's not forgotten and as for my dad, well, it was indeed as a thank you for being him, kinda thing names for kids are a real pain though you want something special but not so special as being too weird or silly, which is why we thought the extra names give that individuality

bevalor

​I did exactly the same @lillyM

I think many people do, a nice way to get their names to live on, I'm named after my grans one of them was called Rolande (i'm French) oO / used to hate it, now i'm proud of it
    Edited by: "LillyM" 11th Jan

Bo0td

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

​Yeah exactly.. but would you call it your kid

let's name her fanny

I would choose a name that you like that would suit the baby.

ask the baby?

srp111

let's name her fanny

My great aunt was a Fanny but everyone just called her sis (sister) instead.

Original Poster

LillyM

I think many people do, a nice way to get their names to live on, I'm … I think many people do, a nice way to get their names to live on, I'm named after my grans one of them was called Rolande (i'm French) oO / used to hate it, now i'm proud of it

Such a lovely name... with a memory attached that lives on! Really nice...

Original Poster

tempt

ask the baby?

If it had any wit, it would say, name me after the person who shall love me forever, give me loads of treats and leave me all her money in her will (something the parents could think about)

srp111

let's name her fanny

​granny was a fanny

mousey

Such a lovely name... with a memory attached that lives on! Really … Such a lovely name... with a memory attached that lives on! Really nice...

Thanks that's a really nice comment, first time that someone doesn't take the p either, he he he

Original Poster

LillyM

Thanks that's a really nice comment, first time that someone doesn't … Thanks that's a really nice comment, first time that someone doesn't take the p either, he he he

Be proud of your name,,,, as it was your parents who thought of it.. it is a special thing, it is your identity!

mousey

That was a very special thing to do...It is important to include those … That was a very special thing to do...It is important to include those who have invested so much love in you!

Why are you asking our opinions when your mind is made up anyway?

Original Poster

squiff

Why are you asking our opinions when your mind is made up anyway?

Just trying to get an overall understanding of why some new parents include family names and why others clearly don't care about including same!

mousey

Just trying to get an overall understanding of why some new parents … Just trying to get an overall understanding of why some new parents include family names and why others clearly don't care about including same!

So what you're saying is that if people don't include family names in their baby's name, they don't care?

Everyone tried to pressure me into choosing a relatives name for my daughters, I refused as its our choice and no one has the right to assume it. Each to their own that's just my own point of view, you need to do what's right for you

Original Poster

squiff

So what you're saying is that if people don't include family names in … So what you're saying is that if people don't include family names in their baby's name, they don't care?

You tell me! I think it's great when no family names are included.. no baggage at all, but when some people choose to include names of family members. someone is always going to feel hurt!

mousey

Personally, I disagree. I like to think that I repay the love invested in me with love, and time, and affection. Overblown gestures mean nothing on their own.
    As for the naming of the baby, it's got to be something that both parents like and are happy with, regardless of whether this is going to upset other family members.

Original Poster

westy125

Everyone tried to pressure me into choosing a relatives name for my … Everyone tried to pressure me into choosing a relatives name for my daughters, I refused as its our choice and no one has the right to assume it. Each to their own that's just my own point of view, you need to do what's right for you

Just right...but if someone has really gone that extra million mile for you,,,, do you think you might consider their name as a mark of appreciation,, say if they had devoted their life to you! Or is that a step too far? Only asking?

Original Poster

RuudBullit

Personally, I disagree. I like to think that I repay the love invested in … Personally, I disagree. I like to think that I repay the love invested in me with love, and time, and affection. Overblown gestures mean nothing on their own. As for the naming of the baby, it's got to be something that both parents like and are happy with, regardless of whether this is going to upset other family members.

Thank you for your input, helping me understand all opinions

mousey

You tell me! I think it's great when no family names are included.. no … You tell me! I think it's great when no family names are included.. no baggage at all, but when some people choose to include names of family members. someone is always going to feel hurt!

Why is it 'baggage' if parents choose a family name? Personally, I'm on the fence. One of my uncles called his daughter Alice, after his mum (the baby's grandmother and my grandmother also). When Alice grew up, she turned out to be an outright bitch and still is even though she's in her 20s now, so my mum is upset that her niece was named after her (my mum's) mother. It's a tricky subject and probably wouldn't have been as bad if they'd used Alice as her middle name.

Original Poster

squiff

Why is it 'baggage' if parents choose a family name? Personally, I'm on … Why is it 'baggage' if parents choose a family name? Personally, I'm on the fence. One of my uncles called his daughter Alice, after his mum (the baby's grandmother and my grandmother also). When Alice grew up, she turned out to be an outright bitch and still is even though she's in her 20s now, so my mum is upset that her niece was named after her (my mum's) mother. It's a tricky subject and probably wouldn't have been as bad if they'd used Alice as her middle name.

Baggage...as it open's a bag of worms to those not included... Don't you think though it's nice to include family names after the main name, they shall never be used but just as a token to those you care about

id say the parents ultimately decide however family should be respected too. Its always nice to pick a name that possibly related to heritage. I personally prefer old fashioned names that remain relative (so the child saves hours of their life not having to spell their name over the phone). If there is a family trend (for the first born usually) then id say go with it unless you do not like the name

We considered it for our son but we decided that we wanted him to be his own individual with a unique (but not cruel) name. We did adapt my father-in-laws name and made it into our sons middle name as he retained my family surname so each bloodline had some connection on paper.

In all honestly, it makes no difference though.
    Relationships and memories have to be made whether he's called Fred, Danny or Zoozoo.

Banned

mousey

Should you think about family members when choosing your name for your … Should you think about family members when choosing your name for your baby?

I dont think your family are there are the conception (normally) oO
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 12th Jan

I'm a firm believer that your name is your own. I never changed my surname when I married as I didn't see the need and my husband couldn't have cared less. We called the kid the only name we could both agree on and gave him further forenames reflecting his Scottish and Irish heritage. We thought we had done brilliantly and picked wonderful names. Said child hates them.

mousey

Just right...but if someone has really gone that extra million mile for … Just right...but if someone has really gone that extra million mile for you,,,, do you think you might consider their name as a mark of appreciation,, say if they had devoted their life to you! Or is that a step too far? Only asking?

Way too far imo, you pay back with your time and love. You should ask yourself:" Would this many be happy with his name when s/he'll grow up?"
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      2. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      4. word association Game74044544

See more discussions