Groups

how is darts a sport ?

I didn't want to spoil the darts thread from a few days ago but i just wanted to ask the question ?

to me it is a pub game the same as snooker and pool. how do people make a living off this and they aren't exactly athletes but fair play to them, i just don't se how people sit and watch a game of darts on the tele or *shudders* live ?

51 Comments

You follow Man Utd.
    Each to their own.

That's nice.

People don't like football either, but it doesn't stop others from enjoying it.

I wouldn't expect that anyone calls it a 'sport' as such. It's certainly not in the Olympics.

It can be justified as something to watch on the. basis that people watch Celebrity Big Brother. That fact alone justifies the existence of everything else, since it acts as the absolute lowest common denominator.
    Edited by: "misterleoni" 5th Jan

Who watches Andy Murray? *Shudders*

At least they don't roll around on the floor feigning injury and spit everywhere.

Have you not seen the Mel Smith / Griff Rees Jomes sketch?

CookinBat

At least they don't roll around on the floor feigning injury and spit … At least they don't roll around on the floor feigning injury and spit everywhere.

When did benefit scrounging become a sport?

I just don't get what spectators get out of it, what is there to see?

Sure, it takes skill, but one throw looks the same as the last.

Of course its a sport it takes years of training to get them big fat bellies and double chins..no pain no gain.

Its a sport played by skilled individuals, I'd love to see you throw 180 after 180. Now stop being ridiculous and go to bed. Goodnight.

RossD89

When did benefit scrounging become a sport?

[img]images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tugberkugurlu.com%2FContent%2Fimages%2FUploadedbyauthors%2Fwlw%2F1934ffeb460c_FB47%2Fyou-need-some-tests-yo.jpg&f=1[/img]

Original Poster

CookinBat

At least they don't roll around on the floor feigning injury and spit … At least they don't roll around on the floor feigning injury and spit everywhere.

​he could of killed him X)

Original Poster

airfix

​not me

jymufc

​he could of killed him X)

[img]images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmemecrunch.com%2Fmeme%2F5Y3AD%2Fif-you-want-some%2Fimage.png%3Fw%3D400%26c%3D1&f=1[/img]

[img]images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.best-gif.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F10%2Ffunny-gifs-This-guy-knows-how-to-aim-at.gif&f=1[/img]

sowotsdis

Have you not seen the Mel Smith / Griff Rees Jomes sketch?

Yes, I have not seen that.

[quote=CookinBat]http://i.imgur.com/JkJpiZd.jpg

airfix

*Sir* Andy Murray

Im a sports man, but i can't watch darts, snooker, tennis, Liverpool, Manchester city.

But i still consider darts to be a sport, as well as snooker and tennis, they all require a specific attribute to become the best. Snooker isn't a pub game as the OP states though, never seen a snooker table in a pub. Yes you do find dart board and pool tables, but its played on a drunken level with a bag of peanuts. Most pool tables in pubs aren't even an American table nor a English table, which both are completely different.

Been over a decade since i seen darts being played in a pub, maybe a decade since i seen a pub
    Edited by: "farmeruk1" 5th Jan

I think a lot of people associate sport with sweating and being fit,but I find it is more being skilled and way above average at something played competitively, also some things jump to being sport whem played for money(the rise of"esports" being an example).

Agree OP. To me it's like cards or video games - a game not a sport.

But if people want to believe it's a sport let them.

would this sit in the same discussion category as Golf, Snooker, Horse Dancing?

No different to any other sport which is one on one. Fencing, shooting, archery, snooker or tennis etc etc.

Should be an Olympic sport if the rest are.

Its a game...not a sport.

But a very popular, well marketed product thanks to Barry Hearn.

And I love it!

deeky

[quote=CookinBat]

Just what I was thinking deeky
    but it appears to be real
    It depends what you mean by 'sport' OP
    I don't consider football a sport for the reasons outlined by batty(and other reasons)

Banned

Rubisco

I just don't get what spectators get out of it, what is there to … I just don't get what spectators get out of it, what is there to see?Sure, it takes skill, but one throw looks the same as the last.

it's so atmospheric

It's a sport if you break into a sweat playing it. Otherwise it's just a hobby.

If dressage is in the Olympics then darts is a sport.

Original Poster

i just don't see ​how people can sit and watch it but everyone has different tastes i suppose.

it's a sport exclusively for chavs...I prefer croquet

at least it's better than watching golf.

Agreed, I don't see it as a sport, but love watching the darts. Maybe it's the wrong view to take, but when I think sports I think athlete's. Toned bodies, not overweight lads with cheap jewellery and bad tattoos. Isn't that part of the appeal though, just some ordinary guys throwing small spears.

Ring walks? You're having a laugh, walking in with promo girls and flags and ****, like gladiators entering the arena. Only with bingo wings flapping and beer bellies bouncing. Don't be thinking I'm super fit as you read the above, I'm as fat and unhealthy as the rest of them

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1d/1dcf5ad30466f3cdfd84421f4cd2e671e0f042105da44b31095179ae00a70ae3.jpg

They seem to take it more seriously these days, when I was knee high to a grasshopper you rarely saw a darts player without a pint or a cig in his hand.

Banned

DKLS

They seem to take it more seriously these days, when I was knee high to a … They seem to take it more seriously these days, when I was knee high to a grasshopper you rarely saw a darts player without a pint or a cig in his hand.

I think the ban didn't help...

Banned

Look at this from the BDO. Average of 38.44 X)

youtube.com/wat…FXo

MrScotchBonnet

Look at this from the BDO. Average of 38.44 … Look at this from the BDO. Average of 38.44 X)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM8Fp9GsFXo

​Jeez!! I think I might have done better than that!

That was horrific. Saying that, Adams, had a shocker also

Another reason not to watch the BDO even if it's free to watch.
    Edited by: "Gollywood" 5th Jan

deeky

suspicious gif

I wasn't bulling deekster. It's called a 'robin hood' and this was a double one. Only scores 60 ofc but he did this during the warm up anyway..

yt-link
    Edited by: "CookinBat" 5th Jan

What a strange thread. I find it very odd that a follow of any sport would criticise another sport like that. Anything competitive is a sport, you don't have to like it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      2. What laptop to choose?11
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      4. Laptop screen backlight issue23

See more discussions