How is it best to store opened chicken breast in fridge?

Found 19th Jun 2016
So I opened a 3 pack of chicken breast and used one. I will be using the others on Wednesday before the best by date on Friday.

What is the best way to keep them in the fridge just in the open packing and wrap a plastic bag around the packing? Or should I put them in a air tight container?

Thank you

12 Comments

Self seal bags all the time,

If they were in an airtight package YOU MUST USE by day 3 of being opened even if before use by date. same with bacon and other raw vacume packed. So opened on a Monday use by/on Thursday. some recomend by 2 days. keep all raw meat in bottom of fridge wrapped in a bag with tie clip fine. the important thing here is hygine, wash your hands after handling and be aware of cross contamination.

I'd freeze the others and take them out on the day of use. I keep chicken in a sealed bag but only in the fridge for a day tops

Should be on the bottom shelf as well I think

Put in an airtight container or use cling film else the moisture will evaporate and you will be left with dry chicken.

If eating within a day I'd put in bottom of fridge (coldest part and ensures no contamination from potential drips) in either a sealed container or sealable bag.

As your waiting a couple of days,I'd freeze and take out first thing Wednesday morning.

You'd be fine with;

A) freeze them and defrost on Tuesday.

B) wrap the packaging in an airtight bag & seal. Place on plate or bowl in fridge to avoid contamination.

C) pop the breasts into airtight Tupperware and chuck the packaging away. Again I'd place Tupperware on a plate to avoid contamination with anything else in the fridge.

Note: be careful that you don't touch the outside of the bag/Tupperware with raw chicken hands.

999kernow

If they were in an airtight package YOU MUST USE by day 3 of being … If they were in an airtight package YOU MUST USE by day 3 of being opened even if before use by date. same with bacon and other raw vacume packed. So opened on a Monday use by/on Thursday. some recomend by 2 days. keep all raw meat in bottom of fridge wrapped in a bag with tie clip fine. the important thing here is hygine, wash your hands after handling and be aware of cross contamination.

​Since when was chicken or bacon vacuum packed?

Original Poster

sickly sweet

You'd be fine with;A) freeze them and defrost on Tuesday. B) wrap the … You'd be fine with;A) freeze them and defrost on Tuesday. B) wrap the packaging in an airtight bag & seal. Place on plate or bowl in fridge to avoid contamination. C) pop the breasts into airtight Tupperware and chuck the packaging away. Again I'd place Tupperware on a plate to avoid contamination with anything else in the fridge. Note: be careful that you don't touch the outside of the bag/Tupperware with raw chicken hands.

​Daft question.

How do you actually do frost a chicken breast please?

Do I leave it in the fridge in a bowl?

As if I leave it out of the fridge if it gets above 4-5 degrees or fully defrosts before I am ready to use it won't it go bad?

Thanks

Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help much appreciated!

999kernow

If they were in an airtight package YOU MUST USE by day 3 of being … If they were in an airtight package YOU MUST USE by day 3 of being opened even if before use by date. same with bacon and other raw vacume packed. So opened on a Monday use by/on Thursday. some recomend by 2 days. keep all raw meat in bottom of fridge wrapped in a bag with tie clip fine. the important thing here is hygine, wash your hands after handling and be aware of cross contamination.

sickly sweet

You'd be fine with;A) freeze them and defrost on Tuesday. B) wrap the … You'd be fine with;A) freeze them and defrost on Tuesday. B) wrap the packaging in an airtight bag & seal. Place on plate or bowl in fridge to avoid contamination. C) pop the breasts into airtight Tupperware and chuck the packaging away. Again I'd place Tupperware on a plate to avoid contamination with anything else in the fridge. Note: be careful that you don't touch the outside of the bag/Tupperware with raw chicken hands.

Take it out of the freezer the night before you want to use it and leave it in a bowl in the fridge. I wouldn't leave it out of the fridge in June - like you say, it will heat up too much. Enjoy your dinner!

my bacon always is, chiken not always.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants