Groups

How is North Luton as an area?

Hi everyone, I have just been offered a job in North Luton and am planning to move there from London. If anyone is from that area...how do they think it is to live in??
    How are schools there?? I have a 2 year old boy at the moment. Any nearby shopping centres - places like Debenhams, John Lewis, etc.

Any feedback would be helpful.

25 Comments

[COLOR="Red"]I would never live in Luton.

Not even if I was paid to do so.

HTH.[/COLOR]

Banned

airport

There is an airport. Plus the M1 and a big car factory. That's about it really.

Original Poster

Really! We drove past by North Luton area (Bramingham Park) and it looked very good! I would agree if you said that about South Luton, because yes that did not look good at all.

drmsa;5732755

Really! We drove past by North Luton area (Bramingham Park) and it looked … Really! We drove past by North Luton area (Bramingham Park) and it looked very good! I would agree if you said that about South Luton, because yes that did not look good at all.

[COLOR="Red"]Luton is Luton. It's all the same. It's all a dump.[/COLOR]

The JFK;5732761

[COLOR="Red"]Luton is Luton. It's all the same. It's all a dump.[/COLOR]

And you live where exactly??

Letchworth is nicer. Maybe North Stevenage too.
    If you fancy something a little further toward the Herts/Beds border

Scribbles;5732776

Letchworth is nicer. Maybe North Stevenage too.If you fancy something a … Letchworth is nicer. Maybe North Stevenage too.If you fancy something a little further toward the Herts/Beds border

[COLOR="Red"]U MAAD?

No way would I live in Letchworth of Stevenage either.

Not nice places.[/COLOR]

Look on google maps....

The JFK;5732777

[COLOR="Red"]U MAAD?No way would I live in Letchworth of Stevenage … [COLOR="Red"]U MAAD?No way would I live in Letchworth of Stevenage either.Not nice places.[/COLOR]

Didn't see your transfer announced either. Did it fall through?

I wouldn't recommend it at all, its not the worst place but its not exactly nice. Saying that some areas are ok its just Luton as the whole is the problem

hornblowerracing;5732785

Didn't see your transfer announced either. Did it fall through?

[COLOR="Red"]Nah dawg.

The club phoned me today and we are having a meeting tomorrow.

Don't worry dawg, I'll keep you updated.:thumbsup:[/COLOR]

Starr;5732786

I wouldn't recommend it at all, its not the worst place but its not … I wouldn't recommend it at all, its not the worst place but its not exactly nice. Saying that some areas are ok its just Luton as the whole is the problem

Same as every area, you have your nice bits and your nasty bits.

If you've already looked at it, you should be able to judge for yourself what you think of the area.

The JFK;5732777

[COLOR="Red"]U MAAD?No way would I live in Letchworth of Stevenage … [COLOR="Red"]U MAAD?No way would I live in Letchworth of Stevenage either.Not nice places.[/COLOR]

Yeah, I agree that Stevenage town ain't that nice unless you dig dual-carriageways and trunk roads. The old town is quite quaint though, and Letchworth is very leafy.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input!

Original Poster

Letchworth is a bit too far for us. Would prefer between London and Luton. Checked St Albans out, cant afford anything there. Anything nice is above 500K.

hornblowerracing;5732797

Same as every area, you have your nice bits and your nasty bits. If … Same as every area, you have your nice bits and your nasty bits. If you've already looked at it, you should be able to judge for yourself what you think of the area.

True i was only there for about 6 months, was in Leagrave, it was quite nice when you are there. But as soon as you go do some shopping you realise what everyone goes on about. M1 was also a nightmare for trying to get back down London way but thats because of the roadworks which should be finished now.

Put it this way, there are worse places to live :thumbsup:

drmsa;5732853

Letchworth is a bit too far for us. Would prefer between London and … Letchworth is a bit too far for us. Would prefer between London and Luton. Checked St Albans out, cant afford anything there. Anything nice is above 500K.

What about sunny Watford?

Banned

I would not recommend Luton. at all. sorry.

drmsa;5732853

Letchworth is a bit too far for us. Would prefer between London and … Letchworth is a bit too far for us. Would prefer between London and Luton. Checked St Albans out, cant afford anything there. Anything nice is above 500K.

Yeah, when you get near the London gateway, prices shoot through the roof. St Albans, hmmm, used to work there. Pricey, as is London Colney.
    Dunstable maybe? There is a little place off the A5 called Markyate, thats a nice area.

Let's put it this way: If God was going to give the Earth an enema, he'd stick the tube in Luton.

On the other hand, there are a number of villages around the area which are actually rather nice. I used to woork in Luton and lived for a while in Dunstable (Which has gone downhil a bit), then moved to the vilage of Chalton (Which had a great community).

Bramingham is supposed to be quite nice.

Why not splash out on a long weekend in a B&B in the area and just wander round, talk to folk and the like

Check out the villages.

There's a few under the Luton Airport flight path but wIth modern planes they're a lot quieter than of old.

Banned

For an impartial view and to compare to where you currently live, try:-

upmystreet.com/

e.g.

This is a profile for the central postcode in Luton which is LU3 1AR. Neighbourhood profiles vary significantly from postcode to postcode.
    Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be low income Asian families. These are known as type 38 in the ACORN classification and 1.1% of the UK's population live in this type.

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found in Southall in London, Leicester, Blackburn and Birmingham.
    Mainly young Asian families live in these terraced streets in some of our major towns and cities. The rest of the population in this type is ethnically diverse. Living alongside the families is a 12% student population sharing rented accommodation. These are low cost housing areas and the tenure divides evenly between those that own their property outright, those with a mortgage and those renting Social Housing.

There are very few people with qualifications and unemployment levels are high. Incomes are low, and most people are working in either manufacturing or the retail sector. For women in these areas their primary occupation is bringing up their families. There is also a significantly high number of single parents and, for them, work may not be a practical option.

With low incomes, car ownership is low and people rely on public transport or walking. They choose retailers like Kwik Save and Asda for food because price is key to them.

There is very little money for luxuries although cable TV is popular. These people read a range of papers, but the Daily Mirror is by far the most popular.

Holidays are a rarity, but these people will tend to relax by exercising, playing sport, cooking or shopping for clothes. They like to buy clothes from retailers such as Burton, Top Shop and Matalan.

Fluffykins;5733505

On the other hand, there are a number of villages around the area which … On the other hand, there are a number of villages around the area which are actually rather nice. I used to woork in Luton and lived for a while in Dunstable (Which has gone downhil a bit), then moved to the vilage of Chalton (Which had a great community) ...Check out the villages.There's a few under the Luton Airport flight path but wIth modern planes they're a lot quieter than of old.

Agree, but what town in the UK could you not say "has gone downhil a bit"? That's the UK for ya!
    Yeah, check out the out of town market. There are some unspoilt gems around the Beds area.

I actually live in Luton :oops: born & bred. Live quite close to Bramingham & have to say it is one of the best areas in Luton. The town centre leaves a lot to be desired but ok for a few bits & bobs. MK is only a twenty minute drive down the M1.

It has it's bad points but which town doesn't? I don't find it too bad but I've lived here all my life.......

Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have shortlisted a few properties which I intend to look around next week, hoping for the best!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047127
      2. word association Game73944512
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1024
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.68

See more discussions