Expired

how is red diesel harmful to a car?

Found 20th Mar 2013
Im trying to settle an argument about how red diesel bought from a reputable garage is still more harmful than white for a modern car. Any supporting reasons would be very much appreciated! Ignoring the legal issues

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. Diesel
12 Comments

It's not more harmful. It just won't have all of the detergents and such like in it as it's intended for agricultural use. The red in it is just a dye so the ministry of transport can tell if you've utilised it in a road use vehicle.

Of course I may be shot down at some point.

I always thought it was as good as - if not better that white.
as said above - the red is just a dye
bbs.scoobynet.com/oth…tml

Edited by: "DAMNOME" 20th Mar 2013

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! I have been told something similar about oil lubrication not quite the same and that the dye comes as power form which in modern cars like hdi s can destroy the fuel pump. Just wondering if this is the case

Original Poster

Thanks DAMNOME for the link!

I know people who have run their 4 by 4s on it for 10 years and no harm done.

It is just a dye added. Apparently the dye hangs around for many refills of normal diesel later.

Its harmful to the economy however.

Mind, what the Tories would do with the income is open to debate. Probably give it to some rich ****.

I always thought it was a way for the government to tell if you've paid the tax for road vehicles.

Banned

Loudmouth

It's not more harmful. It just won't have all of the detergents and such … It's not more harmful. It just won't have all of the detergents and such like in it as it's intended for agricultural use. The red in it is just a dye so the ministry of transport can tell if you've utilised it in a road use vehicle.

Yeah, those silly farmers will put any old rubbish in a 100K tractor

harmful if gets crushed after seizure

It's not harmful but it is illegal, you could lose your car and get a fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions