how long after passing your driving test can you tow a caravan?

9 Comments
Licences issued from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.

Licences held before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.

You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
Towing heavier combinations

If you want to tow heavier combinations, you’ll have to first apply for provisional entitlement to the new C1+E entitlement. You’ll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.

Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes MAM.

See here: gov.uk/tow…car

and here: nidirect.gov.uk/the…ler
Edited by: "Some_Bloke" 19th Apr 2015
I think it is straight away however I wouldn't recommend it plus it must be no more than 750kg I think it is. Any more than that and you need to do a trailer licence (which I highly recommend). You need to know how to deal with snaking. turning circles. Crosswinds. Reversing.
straight away. however be warned that if you've only just passed I.e in the last ten years you are limited to the weight you can tow. a trailer or two birth SMALL caravan might be OK but anything bigger and you will need to take a towing test and new license. see the DSA website for all the rules and regs. it goes on the total unladened weight of the car and trailer etc.
Original Poster
Thanx all
you will need b on your licence for a caravan which you don't automatically get now, another test needed
look on the back of your driving licence it will show you what you what you can drive . Handy tip.
barrel24

I think it is straight away however I wouldn't recommend it plus it must … I think it is straight away however I wouldn't recommend it plus it must be no more than 750kg I think it is. Any more than that and you need to do a trailer licence (which I highly recommend). You need to know how to deal with snaking. turning circles. Crosswinds. Reversing.

As 'Some_Bloke' posted above it is 750kg or a total not exceeding 3500kg. So if the Max permissible weight of the car is 2000kg then you can tow 1500kg of caravan (providing the car is rated to tow that much).

srp111

you will need b on your licence for a caravan which you don't … you will need b on your licence for a caravan which you don't automatically get now, another test needed

No you don't!

You need to take the extra test to tow trailers and caravans which don't fall into the criteria above.
If you didn't it would be a very light caravan
Banned
You need to be over sixty and wear Tweed coats.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions