How long can you realisticly keep that Christmas magic going for kids?

Found 9th Jan
My 8 going on 9yr old kid was seriously thinking about it all and asking us if Santa is real in the days before Xmas. So we managed to convince him and keep it alive for him this year.

I think next year it would take a lot more effort to have a chance. Like reindeer poo all over the back garden and maybe I will have to dress up as Santa and leave a photo of me filling his stocking. All sounds a bit extreme but that would be just to have a chance of believing still. 1 year is a long time for a kid and he will be smarter then.

How is everyone else managing with it all? It is one of the best things for any parent right, being able to create that magic? But they seem to grow up so quick, is hard, right?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
When my eldest started questioning the validity of Santa I took the opportunity to tell her a new truth, this is pretty much how it went.

Many years ago there was a man called St Nicholas, St. Nicholas was a Bishop, He was also a very kind man and had a reputation for helping the poor and giving secret gifts to people who needed it, When St Nick died there was apart of him that lived on and that part became known as Santa, whenever we give gifts at Christmas then we are being Santa that keeps his spirit alive thus Santa is real and I did not have to tell my child I was lying all these years alright I may bot be a big fat jolly man in a red suit, I blamed coke for that!
my nephew is 10 b4 Christmas his mother said last year was his last year as some other kids at school no longer believed, when he was staying over he asked me I said I believed in him, we watched a few Christmas films, that started to work , but the winner was youtube, people had posted security cam photage of Santa in the house delivering presents.

The next day he was like an evangelist telling everyone santa is real, he has had a hard year, his parents split, I know its a short fix, but you should have seen his face, he was the happyest he has been for months
29 Comments
Fake snow around your boots from fire place to pressies works well
Santa is real, st nicks tomb produces manna in the Basilica di San Nicola in Bari Italy
choccie327 m ago

Fake snow around your boots from fire place to pressies works well

We were already doing that but stopped this year. Even had the foot template to do authentic snow foot prints wherever we wanted. Decided to stop it this year as he seemed to smart from that and would have created more doubt than belief we thought.

We did muddy boot footprints though, which the wife was not too pleased about. It doesn't snow where we live, but I suppose I could go a wee drive and bring some home when it does snow somewhere, and stick it in the freezer, and set my alarm early. Would need to have heating off and keep house cold mind you.
Far too much effort - just tell him the truth.
Kids are switched on nowadays. My friend was looking through the browser history on their child’s tablet and noticed a Google search for “Is Santa real?”
Maybe tell him the truth for next Christmas as it gets closer as he'll be nearly 10 and will start secondary school a year later so it's probably time to let Father Christmas go. Thinking Father Christmas is coming is such a wonderful magical feeling but unfortunately it can't last forever.
When my eldest started questioning the validity of Santa I took the opportunity to tell her a new truth, this is pretty much how it went.

Many years ago there was a man called St Nicholas, St. Nicholas was a Bishop, He was also a very kind man and had a reputation for helping the poor and giving secret gifts to people who needed it, When St Nick died there was apart of him that lived on and that part became known as Santa, whenever we give gifts at Christmas then we are being Santa that keeps his spirit alive thus Santa is real and I did not have to tell my child I was lying all these years alright I may bot be a big fat jolly man in a red suit, I blamed coke for that!
Tell him the truth, it's not fair on the kid. Remember when i was 21 & all my mates had all gone to the pub Christmas eve & there's me stuck in waiting for Santa with a mince pie & carrot. To be fair i did used to worry about how he would get down the chimney, given the fact we have gas fire.
XSerenityX41 m ago

Maybe tell him the truth for next Christmas as it gets closer as he'll be …Maybe tell him the truth for next Christmas as it gets closer as he'll be nearly 10 and will start secondary school a year later so it's probably time to let Father Christmas go. Thinking Father Christmas is coming is such a wonderful magical feeling but unfortunately it can't last forever.

If Santa is coming next year it means the "birds & the bees" discussion is another inevitable topic.
@noahsdad

"How long can you realisticly keep that Christmas magic going for kids?"

"realisticly" not at all.
I remember letting them watch The Polar Express, and then putting a sleigh-bell in the stocking which for some reason I could not hear
I think you’ve done well to keep it going until now. If he raises the subject again just say ‘well all I know is that he stops coming if you don’t believe’ He’ll figure it out on his own.
I think you might be yearning for his believing to carry on creating the magic more than he is.
It's a transitional period, one minute I believed in Santa , next minute I was hunting for mags in hedgerows
21 should be the cut off age.
18 for the tooth fairy doesn't exist.
10 for your life will be a tedious slog to the grave.
I think it's unlikely that he will believe much longer . Kids at school have probably already told him the truth . I got an extra year out of my kids believing by drawing up personalised letters from Santa and smuggling them in via an elf when we went to visit Father Christmas that year for him to give to them . They included so many details that they couldn't understand how even Santa could possibly know it all.

However now my two are all grown up and this was the first year that we put the presents out on Christmas Eve instead of waiting for them to fall asleep , then are 18 and 21 and still complained that I was spoiling the magic !
Mine is 9 and still a firm believer (Which is lovely).
Most years she has had a personalised video message from PNP from the big guy himself however not this past Xmas.
every kid is different, i was young when I found out but with a slightly younger sister I still went along with it all. last year at junior school is when they start to question it, our daugter even googled it but it wasnt mentioned. with our two our eldest was 13 before she started to mention it though we knew she didnt believe before that but still wanted to go and see santa that and the year after, our youngest 12 still wanted to go this year, he knows its not real but you can still see it as magic and you can still try and make it special.

The question will probably not come up again until next Christmas anyway so I wouldnt worry about it to much just go with the flow but just make sure they understand to keep it quite for the younger ones in the family/ friends.
Thanks, everyone so many helpful comments here. I think it maybe is time to let it go as hard as it is, they really do grow up so fast, and once it has gone that's it. I honestly think I was about 11-12 when I truly stopped believing, but it was a different world back then. My kid doesn't even use a tablet or have a phone, but like people say they talk at school with other kids. I wouldn't want my kid getting a hard time just because they still had a bit of innocence and belief in something.
Toptrumpet1 h, 32 m ago

I think you’ve done well to keep it going until now. If he raises the s …I think you’ve done well to keep it going until now. If he raises the subject again just say ‘well all I know is that he stops coming if you don’t believe’ He’ll figure it out on his own. I think you might be yearning for his believing to carry on creating the magic more than he is.

I think you might be right too be honest now I think about that. It is like a second chance to be a kid through your own kid almost. Is a truly special thing and power almost to be able to create that magic for your kid once every year. It just feels very sad, and I am sure others will be in the same boat, or have been there and will understand.

I have liked most of the comments, thanks guys. I will play it by ear of course and see how the year goes, but expect this was the last one and its time to move on to new things.
Hope it all goes well. I was 5/6 when I realised the truth. Woke up really late night/early morning, came downstairs to get a drink and saw my dad putting pressies under the tree.
He'd been to the pub with my uncle so wasn't exactly quiet, and didn't hear me. I didn't say anything about it and played along for a few more years. Only told my mum when she asked why I didn't believe anymore when I was about 9. She was amazed I'd kept it to myself. Such a strange little child I was.
deleted265520
Don't beat yourself up about it. I'd say they are about the usual age when kids stop believing.
Mandz272 h, 42 m ago

alright I may bot be a big fat jolly man in a red suit, I blamed coke for …alright I may bot be a big fat jolly man in a red suit, I blamed coke for that!

33027402-3jSqp.jpg

What are you all on about? Santa isn't real?
My 11yr old started questioning it a couple of years ago but she still plays along, I know that she knows that Santa doesn't exist but she stil gets excited playing the game putting out the mince pies etc, I don't know if she's going along with it for my benifit, the fact that she knows shes getting presents the next day or the fact that she still enjoys the magic it creates but it keeps the time special and thats all that matters.
my nephew is 10 b4 Christmas his mother said last year was his last year as some other kids at school no longer believed, when he was staying over he asked me I said I believed in him, we watched a few Christmas films, that started to work , but the winner was youtube, people had posted security cam photage of Santa in the house delivering presents.

The next day he was like an evangelist telling everyone santa is real, he has had a hard year, his parents split, I know its a short fix, but you should have seen his face, he was the happyest he has been for months
tinkerbellian15 h, 41 m ago

I think it's unlikely that he will believe much longer . Kids at school …I think it's unlikely that he will believe much longer . Kids at school have probably already told him the truth . I got an extra year out of my kids believing by drawing up personalised letters from Santa and smuggling them in via an elf when we went to visit Father Christmas that year for him to give to them . They included so many details that they couldn't understand how even Santa could possibly know it all. However now my two are all grown up and this was the first year that we put the presents out on Christmas Eve instead of waiting for them to fall asleep , then are 18 and 21 and still complained that I was spoiling the magic !

My daughter is the same 21 and was home for xmas hols but horrified when I suggested putting the xmas pressies out early. Also informed me that the concept of reducing pressie amounts as you age is an old fashioned concept nowadays which apparently does not occur in her generation!
airfix9th Jan

It's a transitional period, one minute I believed in Santa , next minute I …It's a transitional period, one minute I believed in Santa , next minute I was hunting for mags in hedgerows

why did they always end up in hedgerows??!?!
My oldest is 10, I'm pretty sure she cottoned on a couple of years ago about santa/tooth fairy etc but she plays along because she enjoys the game. My other daughter is 8 and I'm not too sure if she knows the truth or not, but she's very quiet and doesn't express herself as much
you can keep it up as long as you are willing to lie to them for. its like a surreal fairytale only a lot more expensive.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants