Expired

How long do eBay unpaid item strikes last?

Found 19th Oct 2012
Hi all,

I have an eBay account with over 400 positive feedback and a 100% score for well over 5 years. Touch wood, I haven't got any negative feedback and have always abided by eBay's policies accordingly.

However, recently my computer was on and on eBay and a friends kid decided to click on a TV and complete the buy it now button (I had the same item to sell so was just seeing what the going rate was and like a numpty, left the page open).

I did email the seller and explain the situation but understandably, they are not willing to cancel the transaction and they have filed an eBay case against me.

I know this will mean that I will receive an unpaid item strike, but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer as to how long this strike will actually last and what it does (does it take all my feedback away?)

Appreciate if someone can help. Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
35 Comments
Not sure, how long it will last but no it wont take away your feedback.
But usually if you click on a buy it now or even just an auction you will have to enter your Ebay password, even if you left that page open it would re-ask you for your password again - designed to stop children clicking on open pages I would assume :-)
Mine doesn't, you just click it when you're already logged in and it says you're committing to buy.
bonn1e

But usually if you click on a buy it now or even just an auction you will … But usually if you click on a buy it now or even just an auction you will have to enter your Ebay password, even if you left that page open it would re-ask you for your password again - designed to stop children clicking on open pages I would assume :-)

Never done that for me.
bonn1e

But usually if you click on a buy it now or even just an auction you will … But usually if you click on a buy it now or even just an auction you will have to enter your Ebay password, even if you left that page open it would re-ask you for your password again - designed to stop children clicking on open pages I would assume :-)

Mine just clicks through if your signed in

RonChew

Never done that for me.

happens to me...
Mine has never asked for my password. The only time it does is if the item is listed with immediate PayPal payment. This item wasn't.

I'm happy (recluctantly) to take the hit for it (i understand its my fault for it) just hope the ban doesn't last long
Edited by: "BM12" 19th Oct 2012
Yep - mine always asks, prob. in the account settings somewhere
Just expalin to Ebay what happened
I did ring them. They basically send tough **** as its a binding contract and its upto the seller if he'd be nice enough to cancel (they cant override it).
Mine doesn't ask me to sign in but it does ask if you want to commit to buy after clicking buy it now which involves clicking twice to confirm your purchase!
MoneyEyes

Mine doesn't ask me to sign in but it does ask if you want to commit to … Mine doesn't ask me to sign in but it does ask if you want to commit to buy after clicking buy it now which involves clicking twice to confirm your purchase!

Yep mines exactly like this. The kid decided to go for every blue button he could click on
It is not a binding contract, both parties must be in agreement for a contract to exist and the rules in auctions are also different, only at the fall of the hammer does the contract begin. You could argue the end time had not passed and you wish to retract your offer.
Don't let it worry you, one strike for not paying isn't going to hurt you.Ebay lets sellers of fake goods get away with loads before it affects their accounts. I think it is 12 months that any strikes stay on your account as a seller can limit buyers with 2 and above non payment strikes, over a max period of 12 months, from placing bids on their items so if you haven't done it before don't worry. Plus not all sellers set up such stringent buyer requirements as most don't know how to.

offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/…ces
To be honest the seller probably thinks you are at it if you said that a child decided to buy it, its an age old excuse and one thats heard many times over and over (and complained about), they probably think you changed your mind and are trying to find an excuse. If its your first strike it wont harm you but as said two or more can so maybe be more carful and log out in future so no more sneaky hands can buy things.

Although i think the best excuse is "the cat walked over the keyboard and accidentally hit the buy button"
littlepinkstarz

To be honest the seller probably thinks you are at it if you said that a … To be honest the seller probably thinks you are at it if you said that a child decided to buy it, its an age old excuse and one thats heard many times over and over (and complained about), they probably think you changed your mind and are trying to find an excuse. If its your first strike it wont harm you but as said two or more can so maybe be more carful and log out in future so no more sneaky hands can buy things.Although i think the best excuse is "the cat walked over the keyboard and accidentally hit the buy button"

Yep, and personally if I experienced the same then i'd have probably filed a strike too (however, i'd have looked at the buyers feedback history, to help see if its genuine or not). I'm happy to accept the strike like i've said. I've never ever had a unpaid item strike in the 5 years + i've had my account. I guess I therefore don't have much to worry about. I have already cleared my passwords on Google Chrome, so that it doesn't stay automatically logged in.

Thanks all - appreciate all the info.
This seems to happen an awful lot on ebay, I generally strike because it's obvious most people are BSing, if someone has good feedback, is established and they don't write like a 5 year old then I usually give them the benefit of the doubt, only exception being if it causes me a massive inconvenience, then I strike regardless because ultimately it's still the sellers fault they have allowed a child to go nuts on their computer .
Remember eBay are looking for the fees, so they wait for the buyer to decide. Just don't pay, then buyer has to go through the non paying palava, to get fees back, then you get a non paying strike. So you are honest, it'll just work through over the next year.

I used to be meticulous with the feedback on eBay but now with it geared to buyers only, I don't care, I had a clown who give me a neg for a totally fixable issue, but they ebay wouldn't delete it, so cest la vie, just carry on, treat it as a lesson learned
If its buy it now th distance selling rules apply. Pay for it instead and then return it unopened and get a refund if the seller doesn't believe you.
Why not email them and say let's agree to mutually cancel the sale and you'll give £10 to a nominated charity then email them the proof.
Happened to me once. Came to an agreement with the seller to pay them a relisting fee and they were happy enough.
Very unlucky what has happen to you, by the way what you sell on eBay, as I'm looking to make a little money.
seems to me the selle ris being the awkward person here , i have been a seller for 10 years on ebay all the seller had to do was after you had explained, tell ebay that both parties had decided not too continue with the sale, they would get their fees back and no non payer strike for yourself, the strike will last for approx 12months but really send another explanation to ebay , this usually works and the strike is immediately removed, ( ebay can also be awkward aswell) if they dont remove the strike dont worry too much about it, selers need buyers ebay needs sellers and buyers, hope this helps , goodluck
Turns out it made no odds to my account. I did have an email from eBay saying that they've recorded an unpaid item under my account. I presume it may be a 3 strike rule - another two and its barred! I won't be allowing this to happen again anytime soon!

Thanks for everyones help, input and advice - appreciated
Oneday77

If its buy it now th distance selling rules apply.

DSR only applies if he's buying from a company, in this case it sounds like an individual private sale.
Seller gets fees back if he you both agree a non-sale, you get a slap the wrist, no big deal.

Seller obviously is not aware of new ebay rules that favour the buyer, wrongly or rightly..
Sorry, you present as a competing seller trying to keep another seller out of the market.

Tell us, was the TV you bought (and now won't pay for) more or less expensive than the one you were trying to sell.... And did you sell your TV?
ARealityCheck

Sorry, you present as a competing seller trying to keep another seller … Sorry, you present as a competing seller trying to keep another seller out of the market. Tell us, was the TV you bought (and now won't pay for) more or less expensive than the one you were trying to sell.... And did you sell your TV?

Jump in your time machine and go back 2 years and ask them
deleted265520
ARealityCheck

Sorry, you present as a competing seller trying to keep another seller … Sorry, you present as a competing seller trying to keep another seller out of the market. Tell us, was the TV you bought (and now won't pay for) more or less expensive than the one you were trying to sell.... And did you sell your TV?

Get out you weapon
I don't understand how people manage to do this..... (Resurrect old threads and casually respond to them as if they were created a few hours ago) oO
speedy2014

I don't understand how people manage to do this..... (Resurrect old … I don't understand how people manage to do this..... (Resurrect old threads and casually respond to them as if they were created a few hours ago) oO

in deals, searching is always by relevance by default here which means you often get irrelevant results as outdated

in misc its by time and searching 'unpaid item ebay strikes' gives you this as the 3rd most recent topic
it does tell you when posted (away from topic title) but you'd think the 3rd best result was recent if didn't know better
solutions:
reading
defaulting time to lower level
flagging time from last post made to when you post and asking if still want to look stupid
That just happen to me I payed for all my items and even let the sellers know that gave payed I eraly whant to buy 2 things at a time but it not letting me comment to buy anything all I can do it bid
Join forum, find 4 year old thread to bump at 1am with incomprehensible ramble for first post.

Welcome back.

Speaking of ebay sellers. I've just received a 35% off final bill and free listing email. I just might make use of it and sell some crap I need to get rid. Is 35% good or are there better deals available?

Edited by: "365pizza" 6th Mar 2016
365pizza

Join forum 3 days ago, find 4 year old thread to bump at 1am with … Join forum 3 days ago, find 4 year old thread to bump at 1am with incomprehensible ramble for first post.Welcome back. 8)Speaking of ebay sellers. I've just received a 35% off final bill and free listing email. I just might make use of it and sell some crap I need to get rid. Is 35% good or are there better deals available?

I got the same email too.

I got another offer last week, max£30 voucher back for selling something, I relisted an item and it sold for £150, I thought woohooo but then checked small print......NO RELISTS, pah, small print
365pizza

Join forum, find 4 year old thread to bump at 1am with incomprehensible … Join forum, find 4 year old thread to bump at 1am with incomprehensible ramble for first post.Welcome back. 8)Speaking of ebay sellers. I've just received a 35% off final bill and free listing email. I just might make use of it and sell some crap I need to get rid. Is 35% good or are there better deals available?

LOL first and only post.
deleted265520
Sonic56

That just happen to me I payed for all my items and even let the sellers … That just happen to me I payed for all my items and even let the sellers know that gave payed I eraly whant to buy 2 things at a time but it not letting me comment to buy anything all I can do it bid

Good

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants