How long do I have to insure my car

Posted 11th May
My car insurance runs out in a few days. Haven’t been driving it for over a month now. I don’t want to insure but I have to as I can’t declare it as sorn because I have no private property and it’s parked on public road.
Do I have to insure it immediately after it runs out or do I have some time?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Let the insurance run out and the police will pick it up and store it for you
Do Just Eat deliver popcorn?
40716222-p7jBE.jpg
66 Comments
Immeadetly, I'm afraid
As you say - you have to insure it to be on the public highway. This is a "must" in the highway code and therefore you are committing a criminal offence for it to be not insured and on the public highway.

If caught with a car on public highway not insured then at best you would be ticketed, more likely clamped and at worse the car removed.
Have you checked how much it would be to insure it for doing 0 miles and then change it at a later date?
(pay to) put it on someone else's drive?
Insurance has reduced significantly in the last couple of days (mine reduced by £500 when I checked this week for the same policy compared with a month ago)- might be worth checking out prices for 0/ low mileage then adjusting mileage when you start using the car...
"a few days" from time of this post.
If the car is financed (not sure if it is?) then you may find that it needs to be insured at all times.
If it is on a public road it needs to be insured. On private land you do not have to. Have you got a friend or relative that has space on their driveway?
Let the insurance run out and the police will pick it up and store it for you
Timschoice11/05/2020 20:12

Let the insurance run out and the police will pick it up and store it for …Let the insurance run out and the police will pick it up and store it for you

By law you must insure your vehicle if it is to be kept on a public road. If it is on private land then it does not have to be insured, but you must accept the risk of anything happening to it if you have no insurance and it is on your own land.
Others are on here saying pay to put it on someone elses driveway, that is indeed a possibility but if the vehicle is not insured and it is stolen from or damaged on their driveway dont expect whoever's driveway you parked it on to be liable unless you have a properly drawn up contract where they accept all responsibility, for that I dare say you will pay just as much as if you insured the thing.
You could always contact your insurance company and tell them it will not be driven for however long and still tell them it will be on a public road, they may reduce their fee. The vehicle also needs to be taxed to be on a public road and to get tax you must have insurance and a valid MOT if required. If you are not going to drive it again, get rid if of it
oliviasgrandad11/05/2020 20:52

By law you must insure your vehicle if it is to be kept on a public road. …By law you must insure your vehicle if it is to be kept on a public road. If it is on private land then it does not have to be insured, but you must accept the risk of anything happening to it if you have no insurance and it is on your own land.Others are on here saying pay to put it on someone elses driveway, that is indeed a possibility but if the vehicle is not insured and it is stolen from or damaged on their driveway dont expect whoever's driveway you parked it on to be liable unless you have a properly drawn up contract where they accept all responsibility, for that I dare say you will pay just as much as if you insured the thing. You could always contact your insurance company and tell them it will not be driven for however long and still tell them it will be on a public road, they may reduce their fee. The vehicle also needs to be taxed to be on a public road and to get tax you must have insurance and a valid MOT if required. If you are not going to drive it again, get rid if of it

I think we are talking road tax not insurance.
bymiles.co.uk

Try the above link - you pay by miles. Can be a benefit to those who drive less or not drive as theres a flat rate for keeping it insured on the road if you dont have a drive/garage etc
Willy_Wonka11/05/2020 20:53

I think we are talking road tax not insurance.

The thread is titled ...

How long do I have to insure my car

Read pg1
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 11th May
The car HAS to be insured or SORN even if it is not on the public road.
Willy_Wonka11/05/2020 20:10

If it is on a public road it needs to be insured. On private land you do …If it is on a public road it needs to be insured. On private land you do not have to. Have you got a friend or relative that has space on their driveway?

It DOES unless SORN
joyf453611/05/2020 20:56

No it doesnt. You do not need insurance if your car is not on a public road. There are many many threads on this matter on HUKDs. It is a regular question.

IF you are not driving your car & it is kept on private land you do not need insurance & neither do you have to pay road tax (SORN)
joyf453611/05/2020 21:00

It DOES unless SORN

You are confusing yourself. SORN is for road tax. That is all. Obviously you do not drive your car on the road with no insurance. Two different things.
Willy_Wonka11/05/2020 21:00

No it doesnt. You do not need insurance if your car is not on a public …No it doesnt. You do not need insurance if your car is not on a public road. There are many many threads on this matter on HUKDs. It is a regular question. IF you are not driving your car & it is kept on private land you do not need insurance & neither do you have to pay road tax (SORN)

IF it is SORN, you do not need to have it Insured on private land, but to be uninsured even on private land it must be SORN.
Willy_Wonka11/05/2020 21:02

You are confusing yourself. SORN is for road tax. That is all. Obviously …You are confusing yourself. SORN is for road tax. That is all. Obviously you do not drive your car on the road with no insurance. Two different things.

Do I have to insure my car if I am not driving it?
Legislation called Continuous Insurance Enforcement means you must keep your vehicle insured, even if you're not driving it, unless you've made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). ...
Edited by: "joyf4536" 11th May
joyf453611/05/2020 20:56

The car CANNOT be on a public road if its declared as Sorn.
Deleted_11/05/2020 21:05

The car CANNOT be on a public road if its declared as Sorn.

Then it MUST be insured. (Continuous Insurance Enforcement)

gov.uk/veh…les
joyf453611/05/2020 21:03

IF it is SORN, you do not need to have it Insured on private land, but to …IF it is SORN, you do not need to have it Insured on private land, but to be uninsured even on private land it must be SORN.

Sorry. You are misunderstood.
joyf453611/05/2020 21:06

Then it MUST be insured. (Continuous Insurance Enforcement)

If the car is on private land it doesn NOT have to be insured!! It DOES have to be declared SORN if off road and not insured.
Deleted_11/05/2020 21:10

If the car is on private land it doesn NOT have to be insured!! It DOES …If the car is on private land it doesn NOT have to be insured!! It DOES have to be declared SORN if off road and not insured.

No it has to be SORN if there is no ROAD TAX for whatever reason.
SORN means off the road and not taxed or off the road and not insured or taxed - any full months of Tax if applicable would be refunded when declared SORN.
40716222-p7jBE.jpg
Look what you have started op
Regardless of rules what would happen if it got pinched you’d still want the money I guess
snoopy1811/05/2020 21:15

Look what you have started op Regardless of rules what would happen if it …Look what you have started op Regardless of rules what would happen if it got pinched you’d still want the money I guess

It is not that hard. If you dont want to pay ROAD TAX for any reason you can SORN it & the vehicle needs to be kept off road.
Willy_Wonka11/05/2020 21:12

No it has to be SORN if there is no ROAD TAX for whatever reason.

I wasnt on about road tax!!
Do Just Eat deliver popcorn?
Deleted_11/05/2020 21:24

I wasnt on about road tax!!

It is not that hard. If you don't want to pay INSURANCE for any reason you can SORN it & the vehicle needs to be kept off road.

From the 'horses mouth' gov.uk/veh…les
And to complicate matters further the rules apply not only to the 'road' but also a 'public area' - discuss!
joyf453611/05/2020 21:28

It is not that hard. If you don't want to pay INSURANCE for any reason you …It is not that hard. If you don't want to pay INSURANCE for any reason you can SORN it & the vehicle needs to be kept off road.From the 'horses mouth' https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

40716486-BEUBa.jpg
What does my comment say ^^ do you want to get off your high horse.

i say it again If your vehicle is on private land or in a garage and it has no insurance it needs to be declared SORN as it is offroad!! Even if it has tax. If you just inform your insurance its offroad and keep the vehicle tax expect a letter off DVLA for having a taxed vehicle with no insurance.

ive delcared cars off road so i know exactly what im talking about.
Deleted_11/05/2020 21:37

[Image] What does my comment say ^^ do you want to get off your high …[Image] What does my comment say ^^ do you want to get off your high horse. i say it again If your vehicle is on private land or in a garage and it has no insurance it needs to be declared SORN as it is offroad!! Even if it has tax. If you just inform your insurance its offroad and keep the vehicle tax expect a letter off DVLA for having a taxed vehicle with no insurance. ive delcared cars off road so i know exactly what im talking about.

You ask what your comment says, IT SAYS "on private land it doesn (SIC) NOT have to" etc

I agree, if it is off the road it does not have to be insured if SORN, At that point it will not be taxed as the 'tax' will cease and any amount eligible for a refund will be paid back to you.

As I said in my very first post "The car HAS to be insured or SORN even if it is not on the public road"
I’ll happily pick it up Op! And deliver back in due course
Sc4mp011/05/2020 21:14

[Image]

Everyone is saying the same thing but using different terminology.

Hilarious reading!

40717228-V2ou8.jpg
joyf453611/05/2020 21:03

IF it is SORN, you do not need to have it Insured on private land, but to …IF it is SORN, you do not need to have it Insured on private land, but to be uninsured even on private land it must be SORN.

Not if the tax is still valid, you can have it taxed but uninsured on private property.
harlzter11/05/2020 23:21

Not if the tax is still valid, you can have it taxed but uninsured on …Not if the tax is still valid, you can have it taxed but uninsured on private property.

You’ll get a refund for any full months of remaining tax when you declare it SORN.

gov.uk/mak…orn
harlzter11/05/2020 23:21

Not if the tax is still valid, you can have it taxed but uninsured on …Not if the tax is still valid, you can have it taxed but uninsured on private property.

You cannot have road tax & have no insurance. Road Tax specifically states you must have insurance for the vehicle.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions