How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and universal as USB-A?

Found 22nd Aug 2017
I’m looking forward to USB C becoming mainstream as it’s ‘all-purpose-ness’ has been fantastic on my MacBook. However, I’m frequently hearing of unsafe chargers that aren’t managing voltages correctly etc. I know USB-IF are making headway but only the expensive chargers have the certification thus far. So how long do we reckon until it’s as easily ‘plug and playable’ as USB-A?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

I’m frequently hearing of unsafe chargers that aren’t managing voltages correctly etc.

99p delivered from China?

Original Poster

Graham19797 h, 34 m ago

I’m frequently hearing of unsafe chargers that aren’t managing voltages cor …I’m frequently hearing of unsafe chargers that aren’t managing voltages correctly etc.99p delivered from China?

No. I'm talking about the mid range ones sold on amazon like Anker, Aukey etc. Just google Benson Leung USB C and you'll see on his google page how many chargers and cables he has tested and failed on safety grounds.

One of the chargers from a major player was outputting 15V to a phone which fried their test device. Amazon even had to ban a lot of them until they were deemed safe. So no, not 99p delivered from China.

I'm prrsonally holding out for USB-D, when that goes mainstream my life will be complete
Edited by: "frakison" 23rd Aug 2017

Not happening quick enough if you ask me. I want more USB-C ports on cases and motherboards myself.

USB-C cables are playing Russian Roulette with your laptop - The Verge

"The solution should be simple, then: just don’t buy cut-rate USB-C cables. But "just buy the more expensive one" is a really crappy solution. Right now, if you want to buy a safe cable, you have to know Leung is the only person vetting them in a broad way on Amazon. Here’s the process you have to go through:

1. Know that this is an issue in the first place.

2. Know that this one helpful Google engineer is the only person testing and reviewing USB-C cables.

3. Go hunting for Leung’s reviews on Amazon (or, alternately, discover this spreadsheet or this website created by redditors to aggregate his reviews).

4. Buy a cable.

5. Pray.

This process is insane, and it shouldn’t be this way. In fact, I believe this failure should have been obvious to everybody involved in the creation of USB-C."
Edited by: "m00head" 23rd Aug 2017

Last year the media was all over USB-C, saying that it would take over and make previous generations obsolete in no time.

But look at how long USB 3 has been around and how many devices still ship with USB 2 ports?

In essence, technology is one big drip drip con, so god knows how long it will take before USB-C actually becomes the norm.

Just look at TV's for a great example of milking the public.

But then act like a cow and you will be milked like one.

It wasn't that long ago I had to return a load of Molex to Sata power cables to Amazon for being a protential fire hazard. Unless you're aware of the problem because someone has hightlighted the issue you will blindly buy the item in good faith. Only way to fix this issue is to enforce checking of these devices thus increasing prices. Our parents knew this which is why they went for brand security over features. With most of the main brand names being sold it's hard for our generation to find a reliable brand. Remember that you can buy two of the same item which were built to different specs in different factories with no way of knowing.
Pretty sure some bright spark will invent a checker for this though

By the time it becomes mainstream you will be two generations up on your current apple device and Apple will decide not to licence it..

Original Poster

Dawsy15 h, 35 m ago

By the time it becomes mainstream you will be two generations up on your …By the time it becomes mainstream you will be two generations up on your current apple device and Apple will decide not to licence it..

Sorry didn't quite understand that, are you saying you think Apple will drop USB C when it becomes mainstream? If so, I'm not sure they will. Lightning was a necessary move from the 30 pin and far nicer to use than Micro USB. With USB C, there aren't really any improvements Apple can make to it. Haven't heard of any major improvements to the Lightning interface that would allow it to replace USB C so what other option is there for them?

frakison23rd Aug

I'm prrsonally holding out for USB-D, when that goes mainstream my life …I'm prrsonally holding out for USB-D, when that goes mainstream my life will be complete

Yeah I heard you were crazy for D

leelukehope47 m ago

Sorry didn't quite understand that, are you saying you think Apple will …Sorry didn't quite understand that, are you saying you think Apple will drop USB C when it becomes mainstream? If so, I'm not sure they will. Lightning was a necessary move from the 30 pin and far nicer to use than Micro USB. With USB C, there aren't really any improvements Apple can make to it. Haven't heard of any major improvements to the Lightning interface that would allow it to replace USB C so what other option is there for them?

They could remove USB and add a new proprietary connection.

They could remove all ports except charging.

They haven't been making very good changes lately imo though going for USB c is not too bad from them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions