how long do you expect shoes to last?

Found 17th Sep 2015
I bought school shoes for £50 made by kickers, he's been wearing them for 2 weeks now and I reckon I will be lucky if they last more then a month, the heels going down fast and the laces are falling apart, I intend to lodge a complaint with the company and the shoe shop when they become unwearable.

Now for the past year he's been in cheap shoes from the supermarket £8 to £15 a pair that lasted between 2 and 4 months before thry got holes in the sole, I paid £50 expecting them to be better and last a year at least.

his father was buying cheapo work boots for £17 each that lasted him about 3 months a time, he decided to buy some CAT ones for £80 thinking they would last a few years, 9 months on and the sole has completely split in half on one shoe and is getting there on the other.

What is going on with shoes? Hardly any have soles that could be fixed by a cobbler and they dont last well at all no matter how much you pay.  
Community Updates
MiscShoes
59 Comments
If i were you i wouldn't wait until they become unwearable, get your complaint in asap.

We generally only buy the kids clarks shoes for school, we find they tend to last a full year. We've tried other shops / brands but always end up replacing them within a few months.

The wife is always on her feet at work, she gets through shoes like i get through cake. Doesn't seem to matter where we get them from either.
I see your point I bought my 6 yr old daughter £45 Clarks shoes, they didn't last a term! Not impressed, but kids don't really care and will destroy them.
The only bad kids shoes we ever had were from Next, the soles wore through within about 2 weeks but they were like canvas style trainers.

I always buy school shoes from Clarks and they last the full school year, provided he doesn't change size during that time.

I'd complain now rather than leave it.
That's a joke, and quite clearly the product is not fit for purpose if they are an actual school shoe, or even if they were sold as being suitable for a school shoe. I agree with mikeyblue and can only see disadvantages to you by not acting sooner rather than later. I would not accept a replacement of the same shoe, but I do not know if you are legally entitled to a refund
westy125

I see your point I bought my 6 yr old daughter £45 Clarks shoes, they … I see your point I bought my 6 yr old daughter £45 Clarks shoes, they didn't last a term! Not impressed, but kids don't really care and will destroy them.

With a receipt in hand I would expect Clarks to deal with that and offer a replacement.
I bought a pair of Skechers trainers and they lasted a whole week before the sole had completely disintegrated (approx 22 miles walked in them).
Took them back and had a full refund.
I heard clarks were crap and I looked at them instore and they fdidn't look any better then the £15 ones he had from asda in fact they looked identical to me, kickers got excellent reviews so I went with them seeing as they dont do doc martins that small, I dont think he's doing anything punishing, the shoes always look fine on the top he doesnt seem to scuff em up but he clearly slams his heels down, if they did kids shoes you could take to the cobblers for a new heel they would look band new for years.

only boots I have found which are any good now days are Grafters but they dont do kids ones. They are pretty damn cheap too for what you get, love my Grafters boots.
Jeez we were lucky to get one pair of trainers a year. Pretty sure some lasted longer than that. Though tbf not allowed to wear them for school. We were very active aswell, there was no sitting in front of a playstation all the time either like nowdays.
That's quite poor. I know that some children batter their school shoes, but even then I would expect them to last considerably longer than a fortnight.

I would do as others have suggested and take them back at your earliest convenience and ask that they be replaced.
Edited by: "RossD89" 17th Sep 2015
stuarthanley

I bought a pair of Skechers trainers and they lasted a whole week before … I bought a pair of Skechers trainers and they lasted a whole week before the sole had completely disintegrated (approx 22 miles walked in them).Took them back and had a full refund.

I have never had a problem with trainers, they last me at least a year, I tend to buy mine in tk max, the small persons current ones came from Asda, I can't recall how much they cost obviously not much but hes been through 3 sets of school shoes since he got those trainers which now have a hole in the sole, granted he doesn't wear them as much as school shoes tho.
Error440

I have never had a problem with trainers, they last me at least a year, I … I have never had a problem with trainers, they last me at least a year, I tend to buy mine in tk max, the small persons current ones came from Asda, I can't recall how much they cost obviously not much but hes been through 3 sets of school shoes since he got those trainers which now have a hole in the sole, granted he doesn't wear them as much as school shoes tho.

Try Magnum shoes. Used to wear them in my previous job. Comfortable and v hard wearing too.
errors shoes must wear down quick with all that foot stamping
It's probably something to do with the sole material, designed for grip not longevity. I could be talking chat tbh.
My son goes through 3/4 pairs per school year. Playing football at breaks. The pair he got to go back to school this time are hush puppies and they are already looking like they won't last much longer!!!
RossD89

That's quite poor. I know that some children batter their school shoes, … That's quite poor. I know that some children batter their school shoes, but even then I would expect them to last considerably longer than a fortnight.I would do as others have suggested and take them back at your earliest convenience and ask that they are replaced.

They have coloured dots on the bottom to tell left from right, I thought I would wait until they are gone, they are half gone now.

These I think they are, they are sold as school shoes.
schuh.co.uk/kid…20/
Brothel creepers.

Long lasting and look smart.
Error440

They have coloured dots on the bottom to tell left from right, I thought … They have coloured dots on the bottom to tell left from right, I thought I would wait until they are gone, they are half gone now.These I think they are, they are sold as school shoes.http://www.schuh.co.uk/kids/junior-kickers-kick-hi-black-boots/2301707020/

Anyone would judge that shoe to be robust when purchasing. I would insist on my money back
Edited by: "Lyrrad" 17th Sep 2015
stuarthanley

I bought a pair of Skechers trainers and they lasted a whole week before … I bought a pair of Skechers trainers and they lasted a whole week before the sole had completely disintegrated (approx 22 miles walked in them).Took them back and had a full refund.

Interesting my wife swears by Skechers!

She only wears go walk 2 or 3 at about £50 they last about 10 months with daily wear, all her friends love them too!
CookinBat

It's probably something to do with the sole material, designed for grip … It's probably something to do with the sole material, designed for grip not longevity. I could be talking chat tbh.

No I think you are on to something, they all look like cut down reshaped tyre treds now, I remember when I was little shoes had hard soles and the heels were softer, designed to be changed, I have been thinking about buying him tap shoes, my mother did tap dancing classes a few years back and her shoes looked like proper old fashioned shoes, they hammered the taps on after, cant see why you wouldn't be able to hammer normal heels on em, they only cost her £30 too.
Mark2111

Brothel creepers.Long lasting and look smart.

I had a pair of those in blue suede back in the 90's.
Always used to misjudge kerbs after about five pints.
Try hush puppies or other brands from Brantano I think
I've always had good results from this shop.
Error440

No I think you are on to something, they all look like cut down reshaped … No I think you are on to something, they all look like cut down reshaped tyre treds now, I remember when I was little shoes had hard soles and the heels were softer, designed to be changed, I have been thinking about buying him tap shoes, my mother did tap dancing classes a few years back and her shoes looked like proper old fashioned shoes, they hammered the taps on after, cant see why you wouldn't be able to hammer normal heels on em, they only cost her £30 too.

We all wore Blakey's in our school shoes! Not seen them in years!
Where did you buy them? My Airwalk shoes from Amazon lasted 18 months before I ripped them when I put them in the washing machine, my Airwalks almost the same from Sports Direct had worn through to holes in the soles in under 3 months, they weren't interested, said it was wear and tear I've been meaning to escalate but never did.
Wow those are cool, no good now his heel is too angled, think I'll get some for the next pair.

blakeys-segs.co.uk/
dcx_badass

Where did you buy them? My Airwalk shoes from Amazon lasted 18 months … Where did you buy them? My Airwalk shoes from Amazon lasted 18 months before I ripped them when I put them in the washing machine, my Airwalks almost the same from Sports Direct had worn through to holes in the soles in under 3 months, they weren't interested, said it was wear and tear I've been meaning to escalate but never did.

The site I linked, I bought em at thrir Westfield shop
Mark2111

I remember them well, they were cool
Edited by: "Lyrrad" 17th Sep 2015
They look cool, but I am not sure if anything hammered in will stay there as the soles are that tyre tred stuff.
Our kid came home from school in the wrong shoes yesterday,only noticed after they had been cleaned. Sadly not the next size up so we sent them back.
I am thinking of ordering number 4, 7 or 8, just to see think I might email em
rap451

Interesting my wife swears by Skechers!She only wears go walk 2 or 3 at … Interesting my wife swears by Skechers!She only wears go walk 2 or 3 at about £50 they last about 10 months with daily wear, all her friends love them too!

These were Go Walk 2's. I must have had a dodgy pair as all the reviewers rave over them.
Mark2111

Same here loool! Although I've gotta say, the only reason my mates & I (teens in the late 80's/early 90's) had them religiously tacked onto our school shoes was because we thought it made us sound like we were wearing 'high heels' X)
I bought kickers for my boy 2 yrs ago. He came home after one day and they looked like they had been worn weeks. I was convinced enougher child had swapped them as they were that bad. Kickers quality has gone right down. Clarke are no better. I stick to buying cheap ones now. ( if I see them in the sale I pick up the sizes my kids will grown into. ) they can have a new pair every half term and it still cost less than a pair of kickers over the whole yr. secondary school. I will cross that bridge when I get there again with my 3 little ones.
Error440

I heard clarks were crap and I looked at them instore and they fdidn't … I heard clarks were crap and I looked at them instore and they fdidn't look any better then the £15 ones he had from asda in fact they looked identical to me, kickers got excellent reviews so I went with them seeing as they dont do doc martins that small, I dont think he's doing anything punishing, the shoes always look fine on the top he doesnt seem to scuff em up but he clearly slams his heels down, if they did kids shoes you could take to the cobblers for a new heel they would look band new for years.only boots I have found which are any good now days are Grafters but they dont do kids ones. They are pretty damn cheap too for what you get, love my Grafters boots.

Worn down heels? Signs like your kids is a shoe scraper rather than slamming his heels down.

Teach your kid not to drag his heels and to pick up his feet when he walks.
Yeah like I dont say that 20 times a day to and from school and threaten him with going to school in his socks, he never listens to anything, I am just going to have to try them segs or something similar and sod paying alot for shoes it makes no difference to how robust the soles are
vikki78vicky

I bought kickers for my boy 2 yrs ago. He came home after one day and … I bought kickers for my boy 2 yrs ago. He came home after one day and they looked like they had been worn weeks. I was convinced enougher child had swapped them as they were that bad. Kickers quality has gone right down. Clarke are no better. I stick to buying cheap ones now. ( if I see them in the sale I pick up the sizes my kids will grown into. ) they can have a new pair every half term and it still cost less than a pair of kickers over the whole yr. secondary school. I will cross that bridge when I get there again with my 3 little ones.

Thats a good idea, I should probably check T.K maxx everytime I am near one, I used to do that for my trainers as sometimes you really did find a bargain in there altho most of the time its junk.
Error440

Yeah like I dont say that 20 times a day to and from school and threaten … Yeah like I dont say that 20 times a day to and from school and threaten him with going to school in his socks, he never listens to anything, I am just going to have to try them segs or something similar and sod paying alot for shoes it makes no difference to how robust the soles are

tell him you'll get his shoes from asda
Kickers don't seem to made like they used to when i was younger,my son had a pair last year from Sports Direct they cost £44.99 & the leather peeled of they were trashed within a month.
Make him walk into school on his hands.

You can thank me later.
Had cheaps shoes from brambato , they lasted about 4 weeks.before splitting replaced with new pair and did the same
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants