Expired

How long do you have to wait for a GP appointment at your local practice?

Found 4th Oct 2012
My local practice always quote me 2 weeks whenever I phone an ask for a GP appointment. I rarely visit my GP but I think it quite ridiculous consider 2 weeks is a very long time. The weirdest thing is the practice rarely have people waiting; perhaps just 1-2 people in there at most. In contrast, the GP I used to go to in another city always have 7-8 patience waiting but the wait was only 2-3 days max.

This is something I just don't understand. A GP with just 1-2 patients waiting at any given time but need a 2 weeks wait for an appointment? So I'm just wondering how long do you usually have to wait for a GP appointment at your local practice?
Community Updates
Misc
69 Comments
I have to call 8am on the day or 1pm to see if any cancellations. Cannot book a head. First come first served.
Banned
Probably due to people not keeping appointments

We have to phone at 9 am for that day
Phone in any time you like and if you think it's urgent a doctor will return your call and decide whether to see you. Or you may get a nurse instead of a doctor if its a little less urgent. I've never had a problem getting to see a doctor when I need to.

Routine appointments have 2 week waits though.
im asuming your a guy i used to get that 2 weeks malarky now just get wife to phone bingo same day appointment.
Same day - but have to ring early
Original Poster
jamstaruk1972

im asuming your a guy i used to get that 2 weeks malarky now just get … im asuming your a guy i used to get that 2 weeks malarky now just get wife to phone bingo same day appointment.

This is what I'm trying to understand. What is missing in order to get that same day or next day appointment that is available but they just don't give it out? Saying there is a 2 weeks wait to any Joe that calls is a bit of annoyance.
Original Poster
For those that have to phone at 8am, what happens if they filled their appointment schedule by the time they got to your call? Would you have to try again the next day at 8am?
I was visiting in hospital a while ago and there was a poster on the wall about being able to insist on seeing the doctor on the day you call.
I have to wait 2wks
Banned
2 weeks but my last appointment was 24 days. Used to be less than a week. I blame the immigrants. Lots of Polish have moved to my area recently.

You can get emergency appointments. They are 5 minutes. Standard appointment is 10 minutes. If you have to discuss two problems you have to book two appointments..
My previous gp practice was really good. If you called up and there were not any appointments for that day you could ask to speak to the doctor who was taking calls. (Forgot whats that called) if it was urgent they would give you a time to come in that day or leave a prescription at the desk. It was one of those clinics that have 5/6 doctors working at one time. i moved house and gp, the new one im registered to is awful. You cant get appointments for weeks! And when you do your waiting for 1 1/2 hours! Its getting beyond a joke.
My gp practice is always packed. I have to wait outside sometimes. @ lumoruk i saw a few polish people at the surgery the other day. They jumped the long queue to speak to the receptionist. They got very rude to me when i told them to join the end. They were not happy chappies that day
I was listening to the radio a couple months back and this question actually came onto the radio.

Its true with the right tone, with the right wording that you can get an appointment the same day.
Banned
Slash

This is what I'm trying to understand. What is missing in order to get … This is what I'm trying to understand. What is missing in order to get that same day or next day appointment that is available but they just don't give it out? Saying there is a 2 weeks wait to any Joe that calls is a bit of annoyance.

easy - switch your GP
I have to call at 8am to get one same day, no advance bookings normally. Although my mum is the receptionist in there so it's easier to get her to do it for me when she arrives lol.
2 weeks here too, they do have a walk-in clinic 3 mornings a week too but that is a long wait.

However, trying to see a lady doctor is like trying to see the Queen.
I've just phoned my doctors surgery at 8.00am this morning, and got an appointment for 9.50am, now that's what I call service...

My surgery used to be same or next day, but they have altered things now. Sometimes you can get in on a cancellation, or if you NEED to be seen and appointments are filled, they ask you to come in at the end of surgery (you can wait up to about an hour) to get seen, or talk on the phone with doctor like others have said. Now they get you to ring in at 8:30 for an appointment for that day.

Even with all this hoo hah I have never had to wait more than 2 days for an appointment. The best one was ringing at 9:15, and the receptionist asking if I could get there for 9:35!!
J4GG4

I have to call 8am on the day or 1pm to see if any cancellations. Cannot … I have to call 8am on the day or 1pm to see if any cancellations. Cannot book a head. First come first served.

This and if you call exactly at 8am you usually somehow end up 20th in the call queue!

Call 1 minute too early you will never get through
We have to phone at 8am to try and get an appointment for that day, however my wife was told recently that when the receptionists get there at 7:30 there is already a queue waiting outside the surgery and they are booked in before they open the phone line.

Other than that you have to know a week in advance when you are going to be ill.
8.45 at mine. I tried to be nifty and rung at 08.44.30secs. It said closed. By the time I rung the number again I was 32 in the queue.

I remember going to see the doctor when I was kid. The waiting room was like a little shed with chairs around all 4 walls. You sat on the first chair and just shuffled from chair to chair until you got to the door. X) It seemed to work fine that way.

Btw, it was Dr. Rainsbury in Harpurhey, Anyone else know him?
lumoruk

2 weeks but my last appointment was 24 days. Used to be less than a week. … 2 weeks but my last appointment was 24 days. Used to be less than a week. I blame the immigrants. Lots of Polish have moved to my area recently.You can get emergency appointments. They are 5 minutes. Standard appointment is 10 minutes. If you have to discuss two problems you have to book two appointments..

yaaaawn. i love these lazy, daily mailesque comments. most of the doctors are immigants [i know spelt it wrong - it's my homage to Mo from simpsons]

no offence to poster - some of my best mates are a bit slow
swtchick87

My gp practice is always packed. I have to wait outside sometimes. @ … My gp practice is always packed. I have to wait outside sometimes. @ lumoruk i saw a few polish people at the surgery the other day. They jumped the long queue to speak to the receptionist. They got very rude to me when i told them to join the end. They were not happy chappies that day

yaaaawn. i love these lazy, daily mailesque. repetitive comments. most of the doctors are immigants [i know spelt it wrong - it's my homage to Mo from simpsons]

yaaaawn. i love these lazy, daily mailesque comments. most of the doctors are immigants [i know spelt it wrong - it's my homage to Mo from simpsons]

Yawwwnnn. I love these quadruple posts all saying the same thing.
I like the same day appointment system, bit of a pain in the A but far better than waiting 2 weeks.
Just a shame my doctor is useless....

I'm all like 'these are my symptoms dude'
an he's all like ' never heard of those symptoms bro'
and I'm all like 'just google it dude, its a stomach infection'
and hes like 'no way bro, your so wrong, the internet is like total BS compared to my Indian degree'
and I'm like 'yes way dude, I need a blood test, like yesterday or whatever'
then he gets bored of me asking for a blood test so he sends me for one
results come back and I was right, stomach infection!!!!
Then he's all like 'bro, I got to the bottom of whats got you sick, its a stomach infection'
an I'm like 'wft man, not cool, that blood test was my idea'
an hes like 'lulz, noob'
deek72

Yawwwnnn. I love these quadruple posts all saying the same thing.

see it's so easy to do - i thought posting the same comment a few times would illustrate my point and it took no thought on my part [well a bit] but got exactly the non-ironic response i expected.
anyway adios amigos - got to work to pay the bills
spaceinvader

I like the same day appointment system, bit of a pain in the A but far … I like the same day appointment system, bit of a pain in the A but far better than waiting 2 weeks. Just a shame my doctor is useless....I'm all like 'these are my symptoms dude' an he's all like ' never heard of those symptoms bro' and I'm all like 'just google it dude, its a stomach infection' and hes like 'no way bro, your so wrong, the internet is like total BS compared to my Indian degree' and I'm like 'yes way dude, I need a blood test, like yesterday or whatever'then he gets bored of me asking for a blood test so he sends me for oneresults come back and I was right, stomach infection!!!!Then he's all like 'bro, I got to the bottom of whats got you sick, its a stomach infection'an I'm like 'wft man, not cool, that blood test was my idea'an hes like 'lulz, noob'

cool story bro
spaceinvader

I like the same day appointment system, bit of a pain in the A but far … I like the same day appointment system, bit of a pain in the A but far better than waiting 2 weeks. Just a shame my doctor is useless....I'm all like 'these are my symptoms dude' an he's all like ' never heard of those symptoms bro' and I'm all like 'just google it dude, its a stomach infection' and hes like 'no way bro, your so wrong, the internet is like total BS compared to my Indian degree' and I'm like 'yes way dude, I need a blood test, like yesterday or whatever'then he gets bored of me asking for a blood test so he sends me for oneresults come back and I was right, stomach infection!!!!Then he's all like 'bro, I got to the bottom of whats got you sick, its a stomach infection'an I'm like 'wft man, not cool, that blood test was my idea'an hes like 'lulz, noob'

And I'm like if you are too lazy to change GP maybe you deserve each other. Btw all GPs are GMC registered. If you have real concerns, more than just personality issues, about their abilities maybe you should register those concerns. It may be that he needs some retraining.
If I can get through on the telephone between 8-10 I can normally get an appointment on the same day at my GP surgery. But no guarantee of what doctor you will get. Getting through is often more of an ordeal than actually seeing the doctor though.
WoolyM

And I'm like if you are too lazy to change GP maybe you deserve each … And I'm like if you are too lazy to change GP maybe you deserve each other. Btw all GPs are GMC registered. If you have real concerns, more than just personality issues, about their abilities maybe you should register those concerns. It may be that he needs some retraining.

Unfortunately for the most part they arent just lazy they are just googling things up, google albeit a insanely good search engine has dumbed people down to just "googling it".

My wife has pretty much diagnosed 90% of her health complaints before seeing the doc, but on the plus side they actually listen to her now for the most part where they didnt before.
jamstaruk1972

im asuming your a guy i used to get that 2 weeks malarky now just get … im asuming your a guy i used to get that 2 weeks malarky now just get wife to phone bingo same day appointment.

Why does she phone the bingo? Never tried that when trying to get a doctors appointment. There is a Gala just up road.
Yeah its the same kinda posts as its true. And everyone as their own opinions dont they?
Nailez

Unfortunately for the most part they arent just lazy they are just … Unfortunately for the most part they arent just lazy they are just googling things up, google albeit a insanely good search engine has dumbed people down to just "googling it".My wife has pretty much diagnosed 90% of her health complaints before seeing the doc, but on the plus side they actually listen to her now for the most part where they didnt before.

I was responding to the point that spaceinvader said his doctor was useless. If that IS true then he may need retraining at least.
Nailez

Unfortunately for the most part they arent just lazy they are just … Unfortunately for the most part they arent just lazy they are just googling things up, google albeit a insanely good search engine has dumbed people down to just "googling it".My wife has pretty much diagnosed 90% of her health complaints before seeing the doc, but on the plus side they actually listen to her now for the most part where they didnt before.

And you have not even mentioned the Misc doctors
when i phone up i often get asked whats the problem (by the receptionist) and i'm like if i knew i wouldn't need a doctor oO
purple22

when i phone up i often get asked whats the problem (by the receptionist) … when i phone up i often get asked whats the problem (by the receptionist) and i'm like if i knew i wouldn't need a doctor oO

And I'm like mind your own business, I'll tell the doctor thanks.
I actually hate going to the Doctors, if it wasn't for all those ill people coughing and spluttering all their germs everywhere then it would make for quite a pleasant experience!
Have to phone at 8.30am for a guaranteed appointment that day.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants