Expired

How long does it take a house sale to go through...generally?

Found 13th Jan 2012
Put an offer in, accepted and mortgage talks are underway.... we are not in a chain, neither are the other end....so roughly when would one be ready to move into their new place??

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

Mod & Ed

Did my recent one in just under 5 weeks from house viewing to completion

When we bought ours the house was empty, we weren't in a chain, neither were they and it took 5 weeks from offer accepted to the keys being in our hands.

I think that's reasonably quick though, plus I was on holiday for the summer so spent the time phoning solicitors/mortgage company etc.

This depends a great deal on how keen they are to move and how efficient the estate agent and solicitors are - we were in a relatively similar position but it still took about 5-6 months once all of the searches etc had been completed. You will be doing well if you can be in your new property in under 3 months.

Banned

about tree fiddy

I would say 12 weeks is more the norm. With no chain though you should be able to bring it down a bit, just make sure both sides keep on top of their solicitors as this is generally where the delays come.

yea when we bought ours we had it gone i 4 weeks so roughly 4-6 weeks

Mod & Ed

sancho1983

When we bought ours the house was empty, we weren't in a chain, neither … When we bought ours the house was empty, we weren't in a chain, neither were they and it took 5 weeks from offer accepted to the keys being in our hands.I think that's reasonably quick though, plus I was on holiday for the summer so spent the time phoning solicitors/mortgage company etc.

yeah we were similar, we phoned the council every few days to get updated on searches and the sols twice a week

Original Poster

so 5 weeks to 5 months!! crap

well the guy selling is desperate to sell as he has moved out and his last sale fell through due to a chain breaking, hence he was happy taking a lower offer from us as we were chain free. husband spoke to mortgage bloke today and he has told agents and vendor that we have funds in place..will come on weds to hopefully get best mortgage...

i hope it's asap...can't wait to move

Our offer was accepted in October and we are still finalising things. We do not have a place to sell and the sellers are not in a chain. so it can really vary!

Original Poster

wishihadadonkey

yeah we were similar, we phoned the council every few days to get updated … yeah we were similar, we phoned the council every few days to get updated on searches and the sols twice a week

i will badger hubby to keep ringing them then ... hope our house does sell in mean time though... want some money to splash cash in the new place...starting with some venture photos!

Original Poster

very up and down....hope i'm asap!

ours took about 8 weeks but the previous owners did drag it out abit infact when we got the keys we was so excited we went straight from the estate agents to the house and all there belongings were still in, wasnt very impressed at all. oh and there was no chain.

Mod & Ed

magicbeans

so 5 weeks to 5 months!! crapwell the guy selling is desperate to sell as … so 5 weeks to 5 months!! crapwell the guy selling is desperate to sell as he has moved out and his last sale fell through due to a chain breaking, hence he was happy taking a lower offer from us as we were chain free. husband spoke to mortgage bloke today and he has told agents and vendor that we have funds in place..will come on weds to hopefully get best mortgage...i hope it's asap...can't wait to move

Make sure that the solicitors you decide to use are on the mortgage lenders approved panel, otherwise they may insist on using theirs, which with 3 lost of sols involved would slow things up, you can take out an indemnity on the searches being ok if your lender agrees and thaye are holding things up

My friend is buying once of these new build flats and they expect completion within 21 days

When I bough my place a few years ago took 5 weeks! Make sure you get a good efficient solicitor!

Unfortunately a lot depends on the local council and solicitors involved. Try and get it through before easter tho otherwise they'll all go off on holiday and it will drag out even longer...

Original Poster

thanks guys....

sound advice there wishy...will speak to hubby,...trying to use agent approved solicitor/mortgage broker etc in the hope it sped things up but will tell him to see if we can get solicitors and mortgage brokers on same side!

make sure your chosen solicitor is not having a holiday in the middle of your move as well, it happened to me in a recent move. We had made it clear that we had to move out before xmas or our sale would fall through and then found that at the end of Nov our solicitor had gone on two weeks leave. We still managed to do it but no thanks to him...

Original Poster

mosskeeto

make sure your chosen solicitor is not having a holiday in the middle of … make sure your chosen solicitor is not having a holiday in the middle of your move as well, it happened to me in a recent move. We had made it clear that we had to move out before xmas or our sale would fall through and then found that at the end of Nov our solicitor had gone on two weeks leave. We still managed to do it but no thanks to him...

very good call. will check that

Banned

12 weeks is the average but no chain either side whould improve that. just chase mortgage company daily for approval as they can be slow in my experience.

Original Poster

thanks

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.