How long does it take a plumber to reseal a bath?

Found 30th Jan 2016
I got a quote from a plumber to reseal a bath and he states it will take about 1.5 hour. Does this sound right?

I would have thought it would take longer than this?
Community Updates
AskBathroom
Top comments
blanquito.mclean14 m ago

If you stand over any tradesman/woman while they work, I can guarantee …If you stand over any tradesman/woman while they work, I can guarantee they'll either;1. Drag the hell out of it just to spite you.2. Make a rubbish job of it.3. Ask you politely to p*ss off.

4. Dig up 2y old questions.
53 Comments
To put a bead of sealant around you mean? 5 minutes once the guns loaded, probably do it in 20 minutes but fill bath with water first.
Have you not thought of doing it yourself? Not a particularly hard job and you can buy cheap tools to give a good finish.
Clearly your quote charges by the hour, make sure you stand next to them when they do it! See how they could possibly drag it out longer than 20 mins
Sounds right.

mutley1

I would have thought it would take longer than this?

I would have thought it would take about 15 minutes
shauneco

Have you not thought of doing it yourself? Not a particularly hard job … Have you not thought of doing it yourself? Not a particularly hard job and you can buy cheap tools to give a good finish.

​+1
not a particularly difficult job imo.
I take it he is stripping the old sealant first?

Either way he/she will charge you a minimum of a hour labour.
Remove old sealant
Fill bath with cold water
Reseal bath and leave to dry
Then empty bath

westy125

Clearly your quote charges by the hour, make sure you stand next to them … Clearly your quote charges by the hour, make sure you stand next to them when they do it! See how they could possibly drag it out longer than 20 mins

it is a fixed quote but he states it will take about 1.5 hour. he will need to remove the current sealant and put on new sealant. i just wondered if he is going to do a shoddy job if it only take him 1.5 hour but it sounds like it will be fine.
shauneco

Have you not thought of doing it yourself? Not a particularly hard job … Have you not thought of doing it yourself? Not a particularly hard job and you can buy cheap tools to give a good finish.

i have done it a few times but not done a great job so i decided to get a professional to do it.
mutley1

it is a fixed quote but he states it will take about 1.5 hour. he will … it is a fixed quote but he states it will take about 1.5 hour. he will need to remove the current sealant and put on new sealant. i just wondered if he is going to do a shoddy job if it only take him 1.5 hour but it sounds like it will be fine.

1.5 hours is pretty much spot on

Ask him to use anti-fungal sealant will cost you £5ish more
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 30th Jan 2016
How much was the fixed quote?
Bradleigh

Remove old sealantFill bath with cold waterReseal bath and leave to … Remove old sealantFill bath with cold waterReseal bath and leave to dryThen empty bath

genuine question but why fill the bath with cold water? love mutleys questions in Ask, always informative X)
EN1GMA

genuine question but why fill the bath with cold water? love mutleys … genuine question but why fill the bath with cold water? love mutleys questions in Ask, always informative X)

you can fill it with hot water if you like but that would just waste heating it. it is to reproduce the idea that someone will be standing or sitting in it and so pulling the bath down.
EN1GMA

genuine question but why fill the bath with cold water? love mutleys … genuine question but why fill the bath with cold water? love mutleys questions in Ask, always informative X)

because when its full the bath stretches & when there is no water in it it reverts to its original dimensions.

so if you do it when its half full of water then it should not under either circumstance (ie full or empty) unattach itself from the wall
benjammin316

How much was the fixed quote?

i had 2 quotes, one was rediculous at £170. this one is £95 which is reasonable i think as it is in central london and he has to pay for parking as well.
Really only takes 20 mins. If u have the bath filled with water before hand then 10mins.
You fill the bath up to let in go down with the weight of a filled bath of water. Otherwise if u seal first then then once the bath fills it will go down with the weight causing the sealent to stretch and finally debond or split.
mutley1

i had 2 quotes, one was rediculous at £170. this one is £95 which is r … i had 2 quotes, one was rediculous at £170. this one is £95 which is reasonable i think as it is in central london and he has to pay for parking as well.

Why don't u do it yourself plenty videos on YouTube.
thanks very much guys for the response. makes sense. seriously ask is one of my fav's of this site. learn so much!!!
Can I ask those that are doing it themselves- I got some clear anti fungal sealant for the kitchen sink. I applied it and let it dry but it is peeling and going black... I wouldn't want this on a nice large bath so how should it be done so it doesn't go mouldy. .?
kash2013

Really only takes 20 mins. .

Not if the guy is stripping all the old stuff off then cleaning & then sealing.
As already mentioned its a 15-20 min job but you're not being ripped off paying for the hour & half, you're paying for the skill required to do it, the people saying it's not difficult are lucky, it's a job for people who are good with their hands and not everyone's good with their hands as you've found out yourself!

Don't complain if they only take 20 mins to do the 1 1/2 hr job but obviously do if you're not satisfied with the end result...
Edited by: "xmikebx" 30th Jan 2016
EN1GMA

I should give a silly answer like its heavier than hot water but i wont (_;)
If you fill the bath with hot water it will let off steam and put moisure around the bath and the sealant wont stick
the neverending saga of mutleys bath
this is what.. the third thread on this? or more?
brilly

the neverending saga of mutleys baththis is what.. the third thread on … the neverending saga of mutleys baththis is what.. the third thread on this? or more?

Its his dads bath I believe
YouDontWantToKnow

Its his dads bath I believe

ah.. i see you are enjoying this epic yarn as well
I recently had my bath resealed by a plumber didn't even take an hour and he stripped the old stuff out. He never filled the bath with water and its all been fine
lauradixonn

I recently had my bath resealed by a plumber didn't even take an hour and … I recently had my bath resealed by a plumber didn't even take an hour and he stripped the old stuff out. He never filled the bath with water and its all been fine

to do it properly you are supposed to fill it with water. i can't never be arssed to do this which may be why they don't last.
t3rm3y

Can I ask those that are doing it themselves- I got some clear anti … Can I ask those that are doing it themselves- I got some clear anti fungal sealant for the kitchen sink. I applied it and let it dry but it is peeling and going black... I wouldn't want this on a nice large bath so how should it be done so it doesn't go mouldy. .?

the surface has to be clean and dry before you apply the sealant else it will peel off like yours has done. also some sealant are not very good so i tend to buy unibond but others have recommended some better products.
Nice read thanks, usually takes 20 mins but a good job is good to get done. Love your questions on here mutley always good to lear
mutley1

the surface has to be clean and dry before you apply the sealant else it … the surface has to be clean and dry before you apply the sealant else it will peel off like yours has done. also some sealant are not very good so i tend to buy unibond but others have recommended some better products.

I have a problem with mouldy grout and sealant, I've cleaned it so much half the grout has fell out and used anti mould sealant and still got mould never ending battle
lauradixonn

I have a problem with mouldy grout and sealant, I've cleaned it so much … I have a problem with mouldy grout and sealant, I've cleaned it so much half the grout has fell out and used anti mould sealant and still got mould never ending battle

Make sure you've got good ventilation.
lauradixonn

I have a problem with mouldy grout and sealant, I've cleaned it so much … I have a problem with mouldy grout and sealant, I've cleaned it so much half the grout has fell out and used anti mould sealant and still got mould never ending battle

Did u ever try bleach. it kills the mould and prevents it if used regularly.
shauneco

Make sure you've got good ventilation.

No ventilation apart from windows unfortunately! The shower is in the bath and its ruining everything just purchased anti mould paint for the walls and ceiling as well, cant leave the bathroom door open without setting the smoke alarm off and its too cold to leave the windows open all the time, looks like I'm running out of ideas a brand new bathroom with a lottery win would be nice though
lauradixonn

No ventilation apart from windows unfortunately! The shower is in the … No ventilation apart from windows unfortunately! The shower is in the bath and its ruining everything just purchased anti mould paint for the walls and ceiling as well, cant leave the bathroom door open without setting the smoke alarm off and its too cold to leave the windows open all the time, looks like I'm running out of ideas a brand new bathroom with a lottery win would be nice though

After a bath or shower open the window for 20-30 minutes & close the door. Its your only way of solving the problem without fitting an extractor fan. Do it in all weathers.
kash2013

Did u ever try bleach. it kills the mould and prevents it if used … Did u ever try bleach. it kills the mould and prevents it if used regularly.

All the time! But it seems to be eroding the grout and making the problem worse but I do leave it on for a while before I wash it off I think the problem is ventilation as everything gets wet and steamy and takes ages to dry
Its a minimum of 20 minutes cleaning the old stuff off, some on here don't have a clue, or do a half arsed job.

If you're paying £95 I would expect the bath to be secured fully to the wall/floor, and it guaranteed for a good while (excluding mould of curse).
YouDontWantToKnow

After a bath or shower open the window for 20-30 minutes & close the … After a bath or shower open the window for 20-30 minutes & close the door. Its your only way of solving the problem without fitting an extractor fan. Do it in all weathers.

The windows are open while someone is in the shower and for a while after, I can't get an extractor fitted as its not my property, Ive had this problem in a few houses where there hasn't been an extractor fan fitted it should be standard with all bathrooms I think
lauradixonn

The windows are open while someone is in the shower and for a while … The windows are open while someone is in the shower and for a while after,

There is nothing special about the houses you have lived in. You are not keeping the window open long enough or maybe wide enough.
lauradixonn

All the time! But it seems to be eroding the grout and making the problem … All the time! But it seems to be eroding the grout and making the problem worse but I do leave it on for a while before I wash it off I think the problem is ventilation as everything gets wet and steamy and takes ages to dry

get an electrician to install an air extractor that turns on when the light is switched on and stay on timer. this will help with getting damp and moisture out of the bathroom. you can also get brown sealant so the mould won't be visible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants