How long does it take to hang wallpaper?

Found 20th Jan 2016
I am currently redecorating my living room, and am planning to hang wallpaper on one of the walls

Due to my lack of DIY expertise, I am hiring a decorator to do the job, but am unsure how much they will charge.

The job is only for one wall (2.2m H x 4.4m W), and should use 2/3 rolls of wallpaper (which I will supply). No preparation of the wall will be needed as it is clean, flat, and in good condition. As I live in Greater London (Twickenham), I am guessing the cost may be slightly higher but am not sure what to expect?

If anyone can give me an idea of the price, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Ask
  2. Wallpaper
13 Comments

I could a wall that size in a couple of hours and I am not a decorator by any means I would say a good decorator would do that in about an hour or so.

I would do for about £50

Get a free quote!

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I had a free quote this morning, but the guy said he'd do it for £140 - sounds like he was trying to rip me off.

£50 is more like what I was expecting to have to pay

why not buy a cheap 50p roll of odd wallpaper some paste and try it yourself you will be surprised how easy it might be,plus feel good in saving at least £50 in the process

Some people charge a day rate regardless if it takes 2 hours or 6 etc also it will depend what area of the country you live in.

You will find it very difficult to find a decorator to do it for less then a full days pay, so £120-£160. If you can find a 'handy man' £50-£75.

Check how to do it on youtube and do it yourself.

Wallpaper is not that hard to hang. I got quoted 120 last year for a wall that needed just over 1 roll to paper, watched a YouTube video and did it myself in 45 minutes it was past the wall paper and I think that's easier but iv done other rooms since then with past the paper stuff and it's not been difficult

*paste!!!

When you hire professionals they charge for travel time to and fro along with prep work and unpacking and packing the car. To be honest £50 is mates rates, no professional will do it for that price. If you can find a friend and pay them that then thats great. A professional who will do a great job will be at least around the £100 mark especially as you live in London. I did my first wallpaper job of a whole bedroom when I was 16, I asked for tips of an adult and the job turned out fine. Did loads since but it can be difficult if you have corners and alcoves to cut around and that can increase the price as well rather than just a straight flat wall. Cut few inches longer than needed on top and bottom. Paste thorougly and leave 5 mins to soak. Use a plumb line (nail and string with weight) to make a straight pencil line down the wall. Put the paper on to this line and trim where necessary. The rest should go up fine making sure you remove all air bubbles and plenty glue on the edges. Handy to use a little brush to reglue the edges once your happy with it as they can dry out fast depending on wall and paper. Wipe paper over to remove any excess glue before it dries.

Original Poster

Thanks all for the advise. Agreed that for such a small space it may be easier (and much cheaper) to do it myself.

I'll have a dig around some youtube videos and see what I can find!

You will be fine... once you have finished I have hall, stairs and landing area that needs wallpapering lols... oO

ttyler91

Thanks all for the advise. Agreed that for such a small space it may be … Thanks all for the advise. Agreed that for such a small space it may be easier (and much cheaper) to do it myself.I'll have a dig around some youtube videos and see what I can find!

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions