Community Updates
Dan_82
[Short Guide] How long does it take to get a speeding ticket

Nobody is a perfect driver and it’s inevitable that most of us will receive a speeding ticket at some point in our driving careers. This doesn’t make it any less of a stressful experience, particularly if you think you’ve been caught and are still anxiously waiting for a letter in the post to confirm the bad news.

This short guide will talk about how long it typically takes to receive a speeding fine in the post and what to do if you think you’re fine may gone missing in the post.

How long does it for a speeding fine to arrive in the UK?

If you’ve been snapped by a speed camera or van, then you’ll be issued with a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). By law, the NIP must be delivered within 14 days of the date you allegedly were caught speeding and must be responded to within 28 days of receiving the NIP. You can respond by accepting the allegation and paying the £100 fine and 3 points on your license or deny the offences and go to trial.

I didn’t receive my UK speeding ticket in the post. What do I do?

If you believe yourself to have been caught speeding but haven’t received a NIP within 14 days of being caught, then you may well be off the hook. However, if the NIP was sent out and did get lost in the post, you’re likely to get a reminder from the Police asking you to reply the original NIP anyway. This reminder counts as being served adequate notice of the offence and must be replied to, so receiving one of these letters means you will have to own up to the offence or fight it in court.
Discussions

59 Comments