How long does it take you to cycle 6 miles

Found 29th May
Hello, trying to get a gauge on timing please could you reply with average times it takes you do X (6) miles . mostly flat with some small hills

Fitness Level (1-10):
Time:
Type of bike:
Community Updates
AskBike
13 Comments
At the risk of sounding thingy that depends on how fast you go
could easily do it on my hybrid in half an hour without getting out of breath.

how you getting on with the ebike by the way ?
started thinking about getting one

I live about six miles from the train station here and could make it in half an hour
but the last thing I want is to have a puncture or forget my bag (with the return tickets in as has happened)
and miss the train so give myself about an hour
Handily have some relatives who live near the station so can pop in for a cuppa or full blown lunch as happened last time
Edited by: "Wongy110" 29th May
Around 18 minutes or less on my road bike
That's my cycle into work and back , takes about 30 minutes without racing, hybrid bike , and lots of traffic lights so if I get a run of reds it slows me down. Not entirely sure how to gauge my fitness on a 1to 10 scale . It takes me 32 mins to run 5k though if that's any indication.
About 20 minutes, fat and 5 stone overweight.
I think this is a difficult question to answer without any context or explanation of what you're looking for, six miles is a very short distance and not one that would normally be cycled on its own apart from commuting or similar. What are you aiming for?
why don't you strava your route you are doing and see how you compare like for like with others?

added bonus is you could then set yourself targets on differing segments.
Wongy1101 h, 10 m ago

At the risk of sounding thingy that depends on how fast you go could …At the risk of sounding thingy that depends on how fast you go could easily do it on my hybrid in half an hour without getting out of breath.how you getting on with the ebike by the way ?started thinking about getting oneI live about six miles from the train station here and could make it in half an hour but the last thing I want is to have a puncture or forget my bag (with the return tickets in as has happened)and miss the train so give myself about an hourHandily have some relatives who live near the station so can pop in for a cuppa or full blown lunch as happened last time

Loving the electric bike, goes 15.5 mph my whole journey without any effort, one massive hill where most walk with bikes i go up one handed smug, I do it in 30 minutes, I however do get taken over by some bikes always road bikes and just wondering if I could do the journey in the same time without sweating,

I took a normal bike today as i was going somewhere after and do not like leaving bike in public even when locked and I average 10mph most of the ride, sometimes sturggling at 7mph, can push to 20mph a few times when i feel like pushing it, but most 10mph, so 5mph slower then my electric bike, (i was sweating though lol)

I think the bike is a bit crap and thinking of finding somewhere to rent a road bike to see what its like
Creatishh29th May

Loving the electric bike, goes 15.5 mph my whole journey without any …Loving the electric bike, goes 15.5 mph my whole journey without any effort, one massive hill where most walk with bikes i go up one handed smug, I do it in 30 minutes, I however do get taken over by some bikes always road bikes and just wondering if I could do the journey in the same time without sweating, I took a normal bike today as i was going somewhere after and do not like leaving bike in public even when locked and I average 10mph most of the ride, sometimes sturggling at 7mph, can push to 20mph a few times when i feel like pushing it, but most 10mph, so 5mph slower then my electric bike, (i was sweating though lol)I think the bike is a bit crap and thinking of finding somewhere to rent a road bike to see what its like

LOL sounds great
My philosophy is cycling should always be a fun way of getting from a to b
obviously like everything it takes practise the more you do th easier it gets.
Creatishh29th May

Loving the electric bike, goes 15.5 mph my whole journey without any …Loving the electric bike, goes 15.5 mph my whole journey without any effort, one massive hill where most walk with bikes i go up one handed smug, I do it in 30 minutes, I however do get taken over by some bikes always road bikes and just wondering if I could do the journey in the same time without sweating, I took a normal bike today as i was going somewhere after and do not like leaving bike in public even when locked and I average 10mph most of the ride, sometimes sturggling at 7mph, can push to 20mph a few times when i feel like pushing it, but most 10mph, so 5mph slower then my electric bike, (i was sweating though lol)I think the bike is a bit crap and thinking of finding somewhere to rent a road bike to see what its like

I go out riding with my mum on her ebike (one like this giant-bicycles.com/int…lds) and myself on a lightweight road bike, I'm not a great road cyclist as I'm more a mountain biker but I'd say my fitness is reasonable. The ebike loses out on the flat where I can cruise at 18mph+ but on the ebike it's tiring doing more than 15.5mph as the motor switches off and you're left pedalling a fairly heavy bike. Also the ebike is limited on distance as my Mum's one with a few hill climbs can't really do more than 40 miles without running out of power and again left with a heavy bike.

The ebike's main advantage is in hills and headwinds as it can easily sustain 15.5mph straight up a steep hill which I certainly can't match and I need a lot more effort. The ebike is also significantly more comfortable than the road bike as the ebike doesn't need to worry about weight or drag so this model has a little suspension at the front, a suspension seatpost, an upright position and fat 42mm tyres. I have the softest riding road bike there is pretty much but it's still a harsh ride compared to the bike and nowhere near as comfortable.

For six miles I don't think it's worth worrying about particularly if there's a big hill, I'd say it's only if you're finding the range limiting on the ebike you'd need to consider going with a standard pedal bike if you're otherwise happy with the ebike.

John
Johnmcl739 m ago

I go out riding with my mum on her ebike (one like this …I go out riding with my mum on her ebike (one like this https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/prime-eplus-2-lds) and myself on a lightweight road bike, I'm not a great road cyclist as I'm more a mountain biker but I'd say my fitness is reasonable. The ebike loses out on the flat where I can cruise at 18mph+ but on the ebike it's tiring doing more than 15.5mph as the motor switches off and you're left pedalling a fairly heavy bike. Also the ebike is limited on distance as my Mum's one with a few hill climbs can't really do more than 40 miles without running out of power and again left with a heavy bike.The ebike's main advantage is in hills and headwinds as it can easily sustain 15.5mph straight up a steep hill which I certainly can't match and I need a lot more effort. The ebike is also significantly more comfortable than the road bike as the ebike doesn't need to worry about weight or drag so this model has a little suspension at the front, a suspension seatpost, an upright position and fat 42mm tyres. I have the softest riding road bike there is pretty much but it's still a harsh ride compared to the bike and nowhere near as comfortable.For six miles I don't think it's worth worrying about particularly if there's a big hill, I'd say it's only if you're finding the range limiting on the ebike you'd need to consider going with a standard pedal bike if you're otherwise happy with the ebike.John

40 miles sounds a fair amount if the motor is only on say 40% of the time ?

but I would guess it is in fact more like 30-35 miles ?
Wongy1101 h, 24 m ago

40 miles sounds a fair amount if the motor is only on say 40% of the time …40 miles sounds a fair amount if the motor is only on say 40% of the time ?but I would guess it is in fact more like 30-35 miles ?

No, for that sort of range I'd say the motor was on all the time as it was relatively flat and my Mum is happy to cruise at the motor limit as the bike is quite hard going any time the motor is off. On rides where there are long downhill sections where she can coast with the motor off I find the total range is around 30 miles as the steep hill climbs to reach those downhill parts really seems to take it out of the battery and it can't recover any energy on the way back down.

John
Johnmcl710 m ago

No, for that sort of range I'd say the motor was on all the time as it was …No, for that sort of range I'd say the motor was on all the time as it was relatively flat and my Mum is happy to cruise at the motor limit as the bike is quite hard going any time the motor is off. On rides where there are long downhill sections where she can coast with the motor off I find the total range is around 30 miles as the steep hill climbs to reach those downhill parts really seems to take it out of the battery and it can't recover any energy on the way back down.John

Oh right that has cleared that up for me
probably not for me just yet then have some fairly steep hills round here that I struggle with these days
maybe when the tech has improved ?
Thank you
Wongy1102 m ago

Oh right that has cleared that up for meprobably not for me just yet then …Oh right that has cleared that up for meprobably not for me just yet then have some fairly steep hills round here that I struggle with these days maybe when the tech has improved ? Thank you

I don't know how the range compares on the different bikes, I find with my Mum that 30-40 miles is long enough for her being on the bike so there's been no need to look at longer options. I know some ebikes have larger batteries or can take multiple batteries so it's definitely possible if that's what you want to do. I think the ebikes are superb and it's great going riding with my Mum as she's not worrying about holding me back and she takes great amusement in the fact that I've set a lot of my personal bests trying to chase her up the hills.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants