How long is a personal check valid?

8 replies
Found 24th Nov 2008
Hi,

I have received a couple of UK checks but I am no longer in the UK. How long is a check valid?
I think it is 6 months, but I am not sure (most of the answers I found with Google doesn't state if they are a UK or US answer...).
So I need your help, and any link to a UK answer ;-)

Thanks in advance

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

I am 99% sure it's 6 months - definately used to be anyway. Unless it's changed in the last few years. :thumbsup:

I seem to think its 3 months:whistling:

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes - Six months![/COLOR]

Six months - as far as I know.

From what I've read it looks like they are valid for 6 YEARS .. although its at the banks discretion if they cash them after 6 months or not..

Try doing a google on "cheques" rather than "checks" that way you'll get rid of the American "checks"

fool.co.uk/new…spx

6 months but as the cheque processing services are semi automated you should find that "out of date" cheques are still processed and presented.

Also Cheques in January say - January 2009 will be accepted with dates of both January 2008 and January 2009. The banks accept that customers may have made an oversight - when writing it that the year has changed.

Original Poster

Let's go for 6 months then!
Thanks to all of you!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226666
    2. Which wall design do you like best?45
    3. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35119
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247678

See more discussions