How long is sky broadband cooling off period?

Posted 30th Sep 2018
So I have just joined sky broadband service with fibre unlimited and anytime calls.

I find the speeds too slow so I am hoping to swap to virgin media and transfer my landline across but I have to wait 2 weeks before I can do this as I was a previous virgin media customer.
Does anyone know how long the sky cooling off period is specifically for broadband and line rental? I'm getting conflicting information as some say it is 14 days and others say it is 30 days.

Any one to confirm?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
cooling off period is for the distance selling directive

You should ask sky what the minimum guaranteed download speed is, or check on the papers they sent you as that is what the OFCOM code of practice says they have to deliver - if they dont you need to give them a chance to fix it but if they cant (including sending engineer) you can leave at any point of the contract, but bearing in mind they use Openreach exchanges the any other Openreach / BT Wholesale SP will probably just get you the same speed
If ordered away from Sky premises (example: over phone, web order) the Consumer Contract Regs 2013 provide the consumer with 14 days to cancel at no charge after ordering a service where the customer has requested that the service starts at the earliest opportunity. The merchant is also legally obliged to provide this cancellation information to you, and in Sky's case the current t&c dated July 2018 states:
"...You have the right to cancel your order for Sky Broadband without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off period”) from the later of: (i) delivery of your Wireless Router; (ii) activation; or (iii) receipt of the relevant terms and conditions for that product/service..."
where I guess item iii may apply to you. Quote lifted from page 41 sky.com/sho…pdf
The 30days notice period is usually exclusively associated with notice to terminate mid-term (incurs cost) or after the minimum contract term (no cost).
I presume you knew before signing up .
a. Broadband speeds via landline with any supplier will be limited by the BT Openreach speed/capacity .
b. Virgin could be a good option for higher speeds ,but only if you have a Virgin cable connection to your house .
AndyRoyd30/09/2018 21:45

If ordered away from Sky premises (example: over phone, web order) the …If ordered away from Sky premises (example: over phone, web order) the Consumer Contract Regs 2013 provide the consumer with 14 days to cancel at no charge after ordering a service where the customer has requested that the service starts at the earliest opportunity. The merchant is also legally obliged to provide this cancellation information to you, and in Sky's case the current t&c dated July 2018 states:"...You have the right to cancel your order for Sky Broadband without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off period”) from the later of: (i) delivery of your Wireless Router; (ii) activation; or (iii) receipt of the relevant terms and conditions for that product/service..."where I guess item iii may apply to you. Quote lifted from page 41 https://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_Broadband_Talk_UK.pdfThe 30days notice period is usually exclusively associated with notice to terminate mid-term (incurs cost) or after the minimum contract term (no cost).

Thanks for this. I did sign up via online. So you're saying I've got 2 weeks from the date of activation?

deleted90213930/09/2018 21:46

I presume you knew before signing up .a. Broadband speeds via landline …I presume you knew before signing up .a. Broadband speeds via landline with any supplier will be limited by the BT Openreach speed/capacity .b. Virgin could be a good option for higher speeds ,but only if you have a Virgin cable connection to your house .

I did know the speeds I would be getting but I'm basically signing up to virgin under a partners name but need to Keep the landline.
ash761210 m ago

Thanks for this. I did sign up via online. So you're saying I've got 2 …Thanks for this. I did sign up via online. So you're saying I've got 2 weeks from the date of activation?

That would be a reasonable interpretation of Sky's statement in its t&c, on the basis that activation would be the later (final) item in an expected timeline of:
provision of t&c (likely during signup via a tickbox for pages of ramble that most peeps don't read)
router arriving in post just prior to activation
the euphoric day of activation.
jase.230/09/2018 21:45

cooling off period is for the distance selling directiveYou should ask sky …cooling off period is for the distance selling directiveYou should ask sky what the minimum guaranteed download speed is, or check on the papers they sent you as that is what the OFCOM code of practice says they have to deliver - if they dont you need to give them a chance to fix it but if they cant (including sending engineer) you can leave at any point of the contract, but bearing in mind they use Openreach exchanges the any other Openreach / BT Wholesale SP will probably just get you the same speed

Sky fire minimum is 36mbps im with sky fibre never had any issues
Deleted_30/09/2018 22:13

Sky fire minimum is 36mbps im with sky fibre never had any issues

I'm actually getting speeds of 20mb maximum. I think fibre unlimited is a maximum of 36mb.
Virgin Broadband is much faster as long as you aren't in an over utilised area.I think the basic package is now minimum 50Mbps but I have seen in some areas where Virgin is oversaturated people get terrible speeds in peak times. Worth checking before committing to Virgin.

As long as your area isn't one of those with peak saturation you will get the advertised package speed and more with Virgin. I'm on the 350Mbps package and usually get 400Mbps+
Edited by: "Uridium" 30th Sep 2018
ash76126 h, 42 m ago

Thanks for this. I did sign up via online. So you're saying I've got 2 …Thanks for this. I did sign up via online. So you're saying I've got 2 weeks from the date of activation?I did know the speeds I would be getting but I'm basically signing up to virgin under a partners name but need to Keep the landline.

I don't think you'll be able to keep your landline with vm unless it's been more than 6 months since anyone at your address was a vm customer. Otherwise, everyone would leave and become a new customer again 2 weeks later.
I recently cancelled Sky asdl on 14th day after activation, although they kept me on chat for about an hour trying to upsell me to fibre.
terriclarkfan3 h, 0 m ago

I recently cancelled Sky asdl on 14th day after activation, although they …I recently cancelled Sky asdl on 14th day after activation, although they kept me on chat for about an hour trying to upsell me to fibre.

Did you already sign up with a backup provider before you cancelled?
You need to try changing the wifi channel to a less congested one to see if you can get better speeds. I did that in my first 2-3 weeks of service and my fibre connection has been excellent ever since and it's been 3 years now. Follow the instructions below

helpforum.sky.com/t5/…733
14days is the distance selling regulations. Broadband companies offer cooling off period which is different to the 14 days dsr, it varies but I know, now tv broadband give 31days cooling off period as I’ve asked myself so I would think sky give the same. But good to ask and get it in writing that no charges if cancelled within cooling off period
Hi guys, do just an update on this. As the previous poster mentioned, it looks like sky give 30 days notice where you can cancel penalty free, so it looks like I'm back to virgin!
Edited by: "ash7612" 1st Oct 2018
I've had a similar issue with sky and have now moved to Virgin, my query is I've paid them £65 for set up fees and charges for what I've used. Considering the service was so bad-despite speaking with tech support twice, who advised me to move a radiator as I couldn't get all the TV channels due to the poor WiFi signal in the lounge can I try to get this money refunded?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants