Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

How long should a kettle last?

Posted 9th Sep 2013
Bought a delonghi icona kettle two years ago in August, paid around £70 and Saturday night the light come on but wouldn't boil.
Found the receipt bought from amazon who told me to phone delonghi, who informed me that they don't offer any extra guarantee on kettles as they are cheap throw away items.
Am I being unreasonable thinking a kettle should last longer than two years, I'm just peeved as it matched my toasted ;-)
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    dataload
    a £70 kettle should last longer than that, then again you obviously live in a mental home paying that much for a kettle.. so let the staff worry about it and carry on colouring in
    gmdlogan
    Tree fiddy. Give or take.
    karenhornby
    Replace the element?
    It's not that hard to do
    Humberflyer
    The lifespan is surely going to be dependent on how often it is used.

Reduce the amount of tea and coffee to 2 daily and will last ages
    Anonymous User
    How much was the toaster?
    Anonymous User
    We've had expensive kettles and it is ridiculous. They are a throw away item. We buy the five pound one's now and don't have to worry about lime scale.
    onthelook Author
    karenhornby

Replace the element?It's not that hard to do

Apparently according to the manufacturer they do not sell the parts for that kettle and I cannot find them online
    .MUFC.
    OP's had their pants pulled down, Twice..!!!.

Quote Amazon the SOGA, tell them the contract is with them, Typically you'd expect a £70 kettle to last much longer than 2 years, Do not back down.
    (edited)
    onthelook Author
    Ellie Phant

The lifespan is surely going to be dependent on how often it is … The lifespan is surely going to be dependent on how often it is used.Reduce the amount of tea and coffee to 2 daily and will last ages

That's the thing I have one cup in the morning one in the evening, so it's not from overuse
    onthelook Author
    dataload

a £70 kettle should last longer than that, then again you obviously live … a £70 kettle should last longer than that, then again you obviously live in a mental home paying that much for a kettle.. so let the staff worry about it and carry on colouring in

My hubby makes kitchens and mine would of cost around £25000 from a manufacturer so I wanted nice appliances to match.
    .MUFC.
    onthelook

My hubby makes kitchens and mine would of cost around £25000 from a … My hubby makes kitchens and mine would of cost around £25000 from a manufacturer so I wanted nice appliances to match.

That must be some kitchen...!!!
    onthelook Author
    shauneco

OP's had their pants pulled down, Twice..!!!.Quote Amazon the SOGA, tell … OP's had their pants pulled down, Twice..!!!.Quote Amazon the SOGA, tell them the contract is with them, Typically you'd expect a £70 kettle to last much longer than 2 years, Do not back down.

Tried that this morning with amazon and delonghi, have decided its to stressful just gonna buy a new one, but not from there.
    .MUFC.
    Suppose reality is most kettles would only generally last around 2 years, That's probably normal life expectancy, Just £70 is a lot, Perhaps take that into account on your next kettle.
    Edward_Nigma
    Our cheap £6 kettle from Argos which we use at work is abused for 8hrs a day 5 days a week and has lasted far longer than 2 years. Its on its last legs now, but if I paid £70 for a kettle I would expect it to last a lifetime
's avatar
Top Merchants