How long should I wait for a refund?

Found 24th Jan
Does anyone know the legal time a company has to refund my money? I’ve been waiting since 22nd December.

Thanks In advance.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Depends on what their Ts&Cs say, which card merchant or bank you used etc you used.

You don't say who from or what is involved or if returns are involved. If its retail and you have returned the goods, I would say 5 days max. If you have posted the goods, I hope you have a proof of postage and then check they have been received.
It was groupon, they have emailed to say they have received it and they processed the refund back in December. They say there was a problem with my details and I have been fobbed off and messed around. They say I should receive it by 31st January which is ridiculous in itself but I don’t know where I stand if I don’t.
Edited by: "keribritton88" 24th Jan
keribritton8828 m ago

It was groupon, they have emailed to say they have received it and they …It was groupon, they have emailed to say they have received it and they processed the refund back in December. They say there was a problem with my details and I have been fobbed off and messed around. They say I should receive it by 31st January which is ridiculous in itself but I don’t know where I stand if I don’t.

i don't think there is any legal time frame for refunds, only the retailer's terms and conditions. if not in their t&c then it has to be reasonable, which could mean anything as it depends on whose opinion it is!

my husband did not get his refund from scottish power until 3 months after and that was only after reporting them to the ombudsman. i did not get a refund from redspottedhanky until a month after they processed the refund. these are bad examples as most retailers do so within 2 weeks after receipt of returned goods, if not earlier.

i would give them up to 4 months, then if nothing, you will have to take them to the small claims court. the judge would have to agree that is enough time for someone to process and pay a refund claim!
Depends also on the method of payment.
It depends on the return. If it's a return for change of mind under the Consumer Rights Act.....If the company is within the UK then they have 14 days to refund. The 14 days is either from the date the item is delivered or the date you show the return has been made (your certificate of posting).

If the return is under the company's t&c then it's down to their t&c.
It was for a faulty item. I will check the t&c’s. Thank you for all your comments.
You can always do a chargeback if you used a debit card.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions