How long will a usb stick or memory card last if it’s only used once?

Found 3rd Mar
I want to put pictures and videos on either a usb stick or memory card then put it away so it won’t be getting used until our little girls older so she can see her pics of her growing up. Something that will last many years as she’s 4 now. I print pictures off too but there’s thousands so the rest will go on a device. Any recommendations of which type to buy would help. I have about 50gb between photos and videos and will be transferred through a Mac. Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
Top comments
You should also bear in mind that technology moves quickly. If I'd have done this for my son when he was small I would be hunting around for a floppy drive right now!
34 Comments
No idea. Ages. But if its important buy a few and have multiple copies. Samsung. SanDisk. Whichever.
Edited by: "rev6" 3rd Mar
I have seen people suggest setting email addresses up for children and emailing the pictures to them then giving them the email details to them when they're older. Thought it was quite a good idea myself.
howarth34 m ago

I have seen people suggest setting email addresses up for children and …I have seen people suggest setting email addresses up for children and emailing the pictures to them then giving them the email details to them when they're older. Thought it was quite a good idea myself.

^^ or cloud storage
I'd recommend multiple backups. Don't rely on one USB stick with precious data.
Usb sticks and portable drives are prone to failure even when hardly used, I work in IT and see many distraught people who have lost data on these types of drives. I would advised you to burn it to dvd (good quality discs) and keep a copy in the cloud.
cmdr_elito6 h, 11 m ago

Usb sticks and portable drives are prone to failure even when hardly used, …Usb sticks and portable drives are prone to failure even when hardly used, I work in IT and see many distraught people who have lost data on these types of drives. I would advised you to burn it to dvd (good quality discs) and keep a copy in the cloud.

Thanks, sounds like the best option. Any recommendations on a dvd writer? Only be using about once a year so write speed doesn’t really matter
You may find these interesting,

makeuseof.com/tag…ot/

flashbay.co.uk/blo…ive

Personally I'd copy at least 3 usbs and store 1 at a different address, then check them every 2-3 years.
If one is found to be faulty you have 2 backups to duplicate it again.
I have had plenty of discs fail but can't remember having a usb fail that wasn't being used daily.
Just back them up to 2 or 3 online services

Google 15gb free

Mega 50gb free
Problem with cloud storage is that it comes and goes and you have absolutely no control over it.

I would do 3 sets of DVD+R/RW DL (buy quality, not cheap ones) + 3 USB thumb drives and put each set inside a clip-lock containers, clearly labeling them.

Keep one set for yourself and give 1 set each to the grandparents/close friends for safe keeping.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 4th Mar
You should also bear in mind that technology moves quickly. If I'd have done this for my son when he was small I would be hunting around for a floppy drive right now!
windym12 m ago

You should also bear in mind that technology moves quickly. If I'd have …You should also bear in mind that technology moves quickly. If I'd have done this for my son when he was small I would be hunting around for a floppy drive right now!

Good point!

I vaguely remember someone walking into the workshop with a Zip Disk that he wanted data off about 10 years ago. We had to quickly run to Computer Exchange and buy one, so I could then charge him an arm and a leg for the service of copying the data to a CD. Just imagine someone wanting data off a Zip Disk nowadays.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 4th Mar
SUMMONER32 m ago

Good point!I vaguely remember someone walking into … Good point!I vaguely remember someone walking into the workshop with a Zip Disk that he wanted data off about 10 years ago. We had to quickly run to Computer Exchange and buy one, so I could then charge him an arm and a leg for the service of copying the data to a CD. Just imagine someone wanting data off a Zip Disk nowadays.

In terms of cloud use one of the giants, Apple, amazon, Microsoft or google to minimise any risks as smaller companies come and go
jayonline853 h, 24 m ago

Thanks, sounds like the best option. Any recommendations on a dvd writer? …Thanks, sounds like the best option. Any recommendations on a dvd writer? Only be using about once a year so write speed doesn’t really matter

Do you have a pc you can install the drive into (internal drive) or are you after an external drive?
As an alternative get a NAS drive with 2tb parallel drives where one will back up the other .
shadey123 h, 3 m ago

You may find these …You may find these interesting,https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/http://www.flashbay.co.uk/blog/life-expectancy-of-a-usb-flash-drivePersonally I'd copy at least 3 usbs and store 1 at a different address, then check them every 2-3 years.If one is found to be faulty you have 2 backups to duplicate it again.I have had plenty of discs fail but can't remember having a usb fail that wasn't being used daily.

Read the links, thanks. Will look for gold discs as they seem better quality.
windym1 h, 30 m ago

You should also bear in mind that technology moves quickly. If I'd have …You should also bear in mind that technology moves quickly. If I'd have done this for my son when he was small I would be hunting around for a floppy drive right now!

I was thinking about this, whether disc players would still would still be around in 20 years. Not much around nowadays to put a floppy in
windym1 h, 50 m ago

^^ and yesterday I read in a tech magazine that USB sticks will be obsolete by 2020 thanks to cloud storage. Doubtful to be in such a short time but a few more years maybe.
usb stick should last pretty much forever but as others have said, technology will move on and one day you may have to transfer all the photos to another storage device. i have photos on a usb stick for keeping but for security, i have loaded the photos onto cloud as that is the safest place for photos that you want to keep.

you could lose the usb stick, it could become corrupt, your house may catch fire and the usb stick would be destroyed. burglars may decide to take the usb stick in case it has anything important on it (i am probably watching too many movies where they do this :D).
i recommend a usb hard drive, and deffo usb pen drives and back it up online, and if technology changes u just move it
see if there is online services, like proper data storage
jayonline8529 m ago

I was thinking about this, whether disc players would still would still be …I was thinking about this, whether disc players would still would still be around in 20 years. Not much around nowadays to put a floppy in

You can get 64gb USB s for about £12-13, they don't scratch, they wear out with use, not when stored, they don't require a extra mechanical device to make them work. If at some point in the future they are becoming obsolete you can transfer the contents to a new medium. Think about 8 track, reel to reel cine 8, betamax/vhs/8mm, compactaudio tapes, laser discs, floppy dics, they all require something to put them in which inevitably is phased out. A usb plug is unlikely to be phased out in the near or long term as it's cheap and doesn't wear out, someone will manufacture a cheap adaptor to plug it into whatever comes out in the future.
Anything valuable digitally you want at least 3 copies of, so say PC, external USB or HDD and cloud. Separate locations too so if your PC and external storage are in one building keep the external storage at someone elses house, we have a small safe at my parents for back up and copies of our important paperwork such as any insurance documents, scanned copies of our various V5's etc
chocci:
Just back them up to 2 or 3 online services

Google 15gb free

Mega 50gb free

Google is kinda unlimit ed e.g. Google Photos gives users free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080p resolution
MynameisM9 m ago

chocci:Just back them up to 2 or 3 online servicesGoogle 15gb freeMega …chocci:Just back them up to 2 or 3 online servicesGoogle 15gb freeMega 50gb freeGoogle is kinda unlimit ed e.g. Google Photos gives users free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080p resolution

true but I just hate the way google photos automatically organises my photos and doesnt keep original folder information.

personally, I use NAS, Mega, external HDD x 3, Google drive, google backup & sync, dropbox and BT cloud

total overkill but they all sync automatically (using freefilesync) apart from the external HDDs which I backup yearly.
cmdr_elito3 h, 52 m ago

Do you have a pc you can install the drive into (internal drive) or are …Do you have a pc you can install the drive into (internal drive) or are you after an external drive?

Only have a mac book so an external one.
shadey122 h, 41 m ago

You can get 64gb USB s for about £12-13, they don't scratch, they wear out …You can get 64gb USB s for about £12-13, they don't scratch, they wear out with use, not when stored, they don't require a extra mechanical device to make them work. If at some point in the future they are becoming obsolete you can transfer the contents to a new medium. Think about 8 track, reel to reel cine 8, betamax/vhs/8mm, compactaudio tapes, laser discs, floppy dics, they all require something to put them in which inevitably is phased out. A usb plug is unlikely to be phased out in the near or long term as it's cheap and doesn't wear out, someone will manufacture a cheap adaptor to plug it into whatever comes out in the future.

I’ll look for a 64gb one then and find a good dvd writer to make some copies onto disc. Thanks
What summoner said and get yourself a fireproof safe to store em in - that way even if there is a fire you will still have the memories. Dvds and Cds degrade in sunlight so the safe will keep em errrrrr.....safe!
>;o)

I have had customers lose everything and crying because they kept all their pics on their failed HDU

Hdu, DVD, Usb Stick , Cloud, external hdu, NAS box and holographic mazer storage cubes (when they become available!).
Edited by: "OmendataII" 4th Mar
Back up to a bunch of cloud services. Google Drive is 15GB free. You don't need a USB stick!
Ex
bev15051 h, 26 m ago

Back up to a bunch of cloud services. Google Drive is 15GB free. You don't …Back up to a bunch of cloud services. Google Drive is 15GB free. You don't need a USB stick!

Exactly, you get early warning if they are going to close. Can't see Google drive storage closing somehow

Just create a new Gmail address, upload photos and job done. Use a mega account too for another cloud backup. No need to spend any money.
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Mar
jayonline8515 h, 37 m ago

Thanks, sounds like the best option. Any recommendations on a dvd writer? …Thanks, sounds like the best option. Any recommendations on a dvd writer? Only be using about once a year so write speed doesn’t really matter

DVD, lasts about 10 years, do two copies on two different makes. Then keep another copy on an SD card with 10 years or more warranty (don't use memory sticks as these are usually 5 to 7 years as there is another point of hardware failure, which is the USB interface), then another copy on a portable hard disk, but use a disk enclosure and put a hard disk inside. So you have four copies in total. Refresh them as required after 10 years.
@Mechtup I don't think they will be obselete by 2020. If you work in developing computer software etc you need a USB memory stick ideally as you can't directly open files from the cloud within the software.

With all the security concerns there will always be a need for physical storage. I know somebody who took a controlled assessment on a computer and you had to send the files on memory sticks by post to the examining body.
Edited by: "bev1505" 4th Mar
hey how about getting pictures printed and making a nice album or two that will last forever without the fear of corruption,?
technology is a pile of crap for long term solutions.
Hope it's not going to be labeled as Revenge of Dad
All digital storage degrades in some form or another over time.
As others have said use multiple storage options. The most important aspect is revisit it very few years and move the tech forward.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants