Expired

How long will the solar storm last?

Found 16th Feb
A odd question but its currently hammering high radiation levels and i'm meant to be out in the sun for a while tomorrow.

Be thankful if anyone knows, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Sun ?, your in the UK right, well dress up well because about 8 degrees in London at the moment.
you understand you get more radiation from your wifi than sun?
also understanding what radiation is would help
mattsk19 m ago

you understand you get more radiation from your wifi than sun?also …you understand you get more radiation from your wifi than sun?also understanding what radiation is would help

Wifi dosen't cause melanoma usually being out in the sun to long is bad but during this time radiation is many times higher.
For example pilots have higher cancer rates. I understand people are not fussed as smokers are not fussed until something happens.

I know a lot of people don't understand but if avoidable and lasting one day no point getting a higher dose of radiation that's not to well understood, cant hurt me to avoid that.

However whatever suits you, note i'm asking for personal beliefs and reasons not encouraging anyone else to avoid so please no future snide comments, not directed at you just i know it will follow.
Edited by: "GasGaGlide" 16th Feb
mattsk10 m ago

you understand you get more radiation from your wifi than sun?also …you understand you get more radiation from your wifi than sun?also understanding what radiation is would help

Not really as earth protective layer against the sun is slowly losing strength and solar storms are more frequent
If your worried about radiation just wear a little sun cream as a thin barrier on your skin and maybe a hat
The levels in winter are negligible compared to summer, even if there is a solar storm.

You won't get a sunburn melanoma in winter, you have zero chance of that happening at this time of year in the UK, unless you put up multiple mirrors to reflect the sunlight, even then it's doubtful.
Bigfootpete23 m ago

The levels in winter are negligible compared to summer, even if there is a …The levels in winter are negligible compared to summer, even if there is a solar storm.You won't get a sunburn melanoma in winter, you have zero chance of that happening at this time of year in the UK, unless you put up multiple mirrors to reflect the sunlight, even then it's doubtful.

Oh yeah i understand the line your thinking in, its just i prefer to limit radiation while at highest i'm not talking about typical radiation on a sunny day, that's why it was feared the electric grid might go down (blasts of cosmic radiation), its a surge or charged radiation given out by a blast in high dose, i just prefer to avoid is all.
Just a thought but if the radiation can make the 90 odd million miles from the sun to your house, is it then going to be deterred by a few bricks ? Even Fox news says it is no cause for alarm and you know what scaremongers they can be. Cosmic radiation is nothing like standing near Chernobyl. Keep calm and carry on and all that.
24 hrs. Good light show though. Look up people you never know what you can see
Would a tin foil hat work?
33275153-UIFZC.jpg
Dyslexic_Dog12 m ago

Would a tin foil hat work?

In would imagine one of those rfid wallets will be sufficient. I'm more hacked off we have thick cloud so no chance of the promised light show.
A few plum comments in here.
Sun block works for UV radiation. I suspect we are more concerned about Gamma radiation, hulk juice. That takes a very different form of protection.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 42 m ago

Just a thought but if the radiation can make the 90 odd million miles from …Just a thought but if the radiation can make the 90 odd million miles from the sun to your house, is it then going to be deterred by a few bricks ? Even Fox news says it is no cause for alarm and you know what scaremongers they can be. Cosmic radiation is nothing like standing near Chernobyl. Keep calm and carry on and all that.

Same with the suns light but a thin layer helps anyway. Its ok anyway.
I'm not to concerned myself just prefer to stay out while cosmic radiation is increased for that day, its ok though
A. This solar storm is minuscule in comparison to some of the solar storm events we had in around 2000-2001, and no one (who was well informed) was worried then.

B. Most of it is probably over now.

C. The atmosphere protects us pretty well. Those who are on planes traveling at high altitudes during the height of the storm can get significant radiation doses (similar in size to a dental x-ray), but on the ground the dose is insignificant. You'd probably get more of a dose if you sat on a curb for 30 mins - granite curb stones are actually quite radioactive!
traylee52 m ago

A. This solar storm is minuscule in comparison to some of the solar storm …A. This solar storm is minuscule in comparison to some of the solar storm events we had in around 2000-2001, and no one (who was well informed) was worried then.B. Most of it is probably over now.C. The atmosphere protects us pretty well. Those who are on planes traveling at high altitudes during the height of the storm can get significant radiation doses (similar in size to a dental x-ray), but on the ground the dose is insignificant. You'd probably get more of a dose if you sat on a curb for 30 mins - granite curb stones are actually quite radioactive!

Thank you for your sensible comment that is fact based and not opinion, appreciate, live, gain knowledge rather than a Jeremy Kyle show of opinion and back and forth arguments.

An example is people laughed as i avoid using bleach where possible for cleaning products and now the headlines are its as bad as 20 cigs a day for lung health and now there worried same with processed meats. However yeah its whatever the science says and if there is enough. So thank you for sharing facts, appreciate :).
GasGaGlide2 h, 39 m ago

Thank you for your sensible comment that is fact based and not opinion, …Thank you for your sensible comment that is fact based and not opinion, appreciate, live, gain knowledge rather than a Jeremy Kyle show of opinion and back and forth arguments. An example is people laughed as i avoid using bleach where possible for cleaning products and now the headlines are its as bad as 20 cigs a day for lung health and now there worried same with processed meats. However yeah its whatever the science says and if there is enough. So thank you for sharing facts, appreciate :).

How do you know that he hasn't just made that up, how can you take that as fact.
Dyslexic_Dog1 h, 31 m ago

How do you know that he hasn't just made that up, how can you take that as …How do you know that he hasn't just made that up, how can you take that as fact.

He could do some fact checking on the inter-web. That option is always there.
Here's a good place to start:

spaceweather.com/arc…001

The spaceweather.com archive only goes back so far, but you can get some good info from back then regarding what things were like. That page was my first random choice, and as you can see, it just so happens that there was a significant CME a few days before. I think some of the most spectacular storms at the time may have occurred before they started archiving, but I'm sure there are references out there if you look.

Regarding aviation and solar storms, try this search for starters:
google.co.uk/sea…gCA

This link puts things into perspective:
space.com/125…tml

Whilst we are talking about a CME in this case, it's X class solar flares that usually cause large CMEs which cause big storms here on earth. Here are the top 50 recorded since 1996:
spaceweatherlive.com/en/…res
Edited by: "traylee" 17th Feb
Dyslexic_Dog9 h, 44 m ago

How do you know that he hasn't just made that up, how can you take that as …How do you know that he hasn't just made that up, how can you take that as fact.

Parts reminisce of what i have heard from trusted source already then I always check to make sure the science says the same also.
Edited by: "GasGaGlide" 17th Feb
If it was made up and not true. We all would of been dead by now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants