Groups

How many lanes is an unmarked roundabout?

As above.

Example here:

dropbox.com/s/h…l=0

A roundabout that has single lane roads leading to it, but is wide enough to accommodate 2 cars next to each other at the entrance to the roundabout, how many lanes is the roundabout officially?

The example posted has at least one of the entry roads to the roundabout have two cars waiting to pull out with plenty of space around.

This roundabout is local to me, and I always wonder.

27 Comments

Banned

How long have you been driving? If an articulated lorry is on it, it's going to be 1, and if a couple of motorbikes are on it, it will accommodate 2.

I don't thing there's an 'official' amount of lanes on a rounderbout, but to be honest in all my years of driving it's never been a consideration. Off hand I can't think of above 2 lanes on a rounderbout

Why do you ask?

Banned

One.

No markings to suggest more

Original Poster

I am asking as the roundabout above has always been used as a one lane roundabout, the road in the right in the photo was upgraded (widened and straightened) a few years ago, and now the roundabout is used mainly as two lanes.

I have seen several near incidents in recent months, and just wondered what the legalities would be.

I have been driving many years, and would use it as one lane, bike, car, or otherwise. Could just be me though.

1 on the approach, 3 going round (left, left straight on and right)

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

One.No markings to suggest more

​I agree, however, why make the entry to the roundabout wide enough to easily accommodate two cars causing the confusion.

Banned

Robj1

​I agree, however, why make the entry to the roundabout wide enough to e … ​I agree, however, why make the entry to the roundabout wide enough to easily accommodate two cars causing the confusion.

No idea but as it stands the rounabout has one lane.

Ask the highways department. Maybe the forgot (or havent got round to) marking it yet?

cchopps

How long have you been driving? If an articulated lorry is on it, it's … How long have you been driving? If an articulated lorry is on it, it's going to be 1, and if a couple of motorbikes are on it, it will accommodate 2.I don't thing there's an 'official' amount of lanes on a rounderbout, but to be honest in all my years of driving it's never been a consideration. Off hand I can't think of above 2 lanes on a rounderbout Why do you ask?

​have a drive round Bradford, loads of 3 lane ones

Original Poster

g8spur

1 on the approach, 3 going round (left, left straight on and right)

​And of the approach easily allows two?

I would say from the picture provided that the roundabout is 1 lane only, there is no other lanes stating more right? But unofficial - the roundabout is 2 lanes because there is no danger if a car wants to go straight in whilst other goes on the last exist. But let's face it, 1,2 or 3 lane roundabout, you'll always get that idiot driver who will make it whatever they want it to be.

I would say one lane during off peak but during peak if there is too much traffic it would be a different story!

If you drive an Audi or BMW it doesn't matter how many lanes there are they will just cut across! X)

I know you've shown an unmarked roundabout but many people need to learn lane discipline on a marked roundabout!

YouDontWantToKnow

One.No markings to suggest more

Robj1

​I agree, however, why make the entry to the roundabout wide enough to e … ​I agree, however, why make the entry to the roundabout wide enough to easily accommodate two cars causing the confusion.

As mentioned above by cchopps, not all road users are the same width.

[img]photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2…SSc?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=1600x1200[/img]

That said, two vehicles can occupy the roundabout at the same time even if both starting from the same road (entry point).

In your example, if two vehicles are joining from the road on the left of the image, a vehicle in the left (unmarked) lane is supposed to be going to the first (immediate left) exit [top road in your image] or second (straight on) exit [right road], & the vehicle in the right (unmarked) lane is supposed to be going to the third (turning right) exit [road at the bottom of the photograph] or the fourth (back along the same road in the opposite direction).

Two lanes around the roundabout are possible because only the vehicle in the outer ring (furthest from the centre of the roundabout) should be taking the next exit at any time. Once that vehicle has exited, the vehicle on the inner ring (closest to the centre) is then expected to move to the outer ring (still using mirror, signal, manoeuvre [MSM] or mirror, signal, position, speed, look [MSPSL]) to exit.

Wider or slower moving vehicles on the roundabout may change the standard 'rules' at any time. Roundabout users must always be prepared for those not using the roundabout/road as intended & take corrective action in those cases; as is expected when driving at any time.

cchopps

How long have you been driving? If an articulated lorry is on it, it's … How long have you been driving? If an articulated lorry is on it, it's going to be 1, and if a couple of motorbikes are on it, it will accommodate 2.I don't thing there's an 'official' amount of lanes on a rounderbout, but to be honest in all my years of driving it's never been a consideration. Off hand I can't think of above 2 lanes on a rounderbout Why do you ask?

How long have you been driving? I'm amazed you have never driven on a roundabout with more than two lanes.

Banned

chocci

How long have you been driving? I'm amazed you have never driven on a … How long have you been driving? I'm amazed you have never driven on a roundabout with more than two lanes.

I couldn't think of one off hand. I've got more on my plate than recording such trivia. I used to travel quite a lot the length and breadth of the country but that's going back at least 15 years. Most major rounderbouts I know near me have been scrapped over the years. Living in London means I choose never to use the car unless I have to. Spending a bit more time thinking about it, perhaps the rounderbout by IMAX Waterloo is 3 lanes when on it, but I don't honestly know, or more to the point care.

This on the other hand looks more interesting to me - Brexiting a rounderbout has to be the way to go

Edited by: "cchopps" 24th Sep 2016

...OK, you've done it more than once now; "rounderbouts".

* roundabouts.

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…240 ]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/e4f1fc1f25b0b67060fb30615bbcd2fc52e4a4bb.jpg

http://65.media.tumblr.com/9b412b1ef2e4e64210e73b6541476996/tumblr_nsxilmDNkt1rvjy5uo1_1280.jpg

fanpages

...OK, you've done it more than once now; "rounderbouts".* roundabouts.[ … ...OK, you've done it more than once now; "rounderbouts".* roundabouts.[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/hukders-help-settle-a-debate-circles-roundabouts-1001492?p=12036240 ]

Mother of god...

moneysavingkitten

Mother of god...

If you look at the YouTube link posted by cchopps, you can play on Tron Light Cycles or a weird version of "Snake" around these roundabouts.

I have been on the one in Hemel Hempstead. Wasn't quite as magic, or as fun, as expected though.

fanpages

If you look at the YouTube link posted by cchopps, you can play on Tron … If you look at the YouTube link posted by cchopps, you can play on Tron Light Cycles or a weird version of "Snake" around these roundabouts.I have been on the one in Hemel Hempstead. Wasn't quite as magic, or as fun, as expected though.

There was me thinking, just treat it like one roundabout then another. But nope!

I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations, perhaps I won't make a special curiously trip.

moneysavingkitten

There was me thinking, just treat it like one roundabout then another. … There was me thinking, just treat it like one roundabout then another. But nope! I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations, perhaps I won't make a special curiously trip.

I think they've only been put in really boring towns to boost visitor figures.

Lol @ rounderbout

fanpages

I think they've only been put in really boring towns to boost visitor … I think they've only been put in really boring towns to boost visitor figures.

That's pretty bad if a huge roundabout is a place's best feature X)

I'd say it should be just one where the roads are single lane, and if more it should be marked very clearly. So many cars take the inside on the round about (meant for turning right), but use it to go straight ahead where the car next to them was going. Seen so many near misses
    Edited by: "delusion" 24th Sep 2016

delusion

I'd say it should be just one where the roads are single lane, and if … I'd say it should be just one where the roads are single lane, and if more it should be marked very clearly. So many cars take the inside on the round about (meant for turning right), but use it to go straight ahead where the car next to them was going. Seen so many near misses

One of my recent cars was written-off with somebody doing this.

The other driver was adamant I was in the wrong, as "you don't go straight on when in the left lane" (as I was doing), apparently.

I tried to be helpful (as she was a very young driver), & suggested we settle privately (without involving her insurance company).

After a few weeks of her & her father trying to offer much less than my car was worth, my insurance company did not consider the accident to be my fault.

I was asked to be a witness at the court proceedings, but eventually they must have settled out-of-court.

fanpages

I think they've only been put in really boring towns to boost visitor … I think they've only been put in really boring towns to boost visitor figures.

moneysavingkitten

That's pretty bad if a huge roundabout is a place's best feature X)

Swindon: [ youtube.com/wat…ap0 ] | [ youtube.com/wat…0C0 ]

How excited are you about visiting now?

Excited? I was positively uplifted.

"Top 100 Roundabouts of the United Kingdom"
    [ youtube.com/cha…jXw ]
    ---
    Subscribe to this channel and watch regular updates of the best and worst roundabouts in the UK. Hear TheRoundaboutMan struggle to make sense of the world using roundabouts and his limited understanding of things worldly.
    ---

"Magic Roundabouts of England" (26 January 2012 by kuschk)
    [ basementgeographer.com/mag…nd/ ]

Banned

This thread is missing this.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927376
      2. What would be HELL to you?3154
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2458
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force913

See more discussions