How many of you on here have caught covid-19?

Posted 31st Mar
Have you had it bad or has it been manageable?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Without being tested how does anyone know?
I got tested and thankfully all clear.

40238217-1H9cQ.jpg
The true positive rate (sensitivity) of the nose-throat swabs is 73%. It there misses out 27% who maybe actually be positive, and a study with CT chests found 83% actually had lung changes.

The other factor is when a test is carried out within the time course of the infection can effect positivity. Data suggests 5 days +/- 1.

mbio.asm.org/con…-20

phc.ox.ac.uk/cov…-19
flowersofwar31/03/2020 13:11

I'm 30, asthmatic, but very fit. I work for the silly NHS and pretty sure …I'm 30, asthmatic, but very fit. I work for the silly NHS and pretty sure I got it from a colleague that self isolated without informing any of us about their severe symptoms.

Thnak God you came through safely. And thank you for being among the huge number of self-sacrificing NHS workers at all levels - esp' at the frontline - who are helping us all without complaint about the personal toll it's having. xx
59 Comments
Without being tested how does anyone know?
Hospitals are testing people that are hospitalised from the symptoms. I had private testing for myself.
flowersofwar31/03/2020 12:46

Hospitals are testing people that are hospitalised from the symptoms. I …Hospitals are testing people that are hospitalised from the symptoms. I had private testing for myself.

Problem with that is that even the real kits have a huge false negative rate. Plus there are huge numbers of fake kits about.

How serious is it? My cousin's wife died on Sunday. She had a slight cough on Friday evening, got worse over Saturday and died Sunday am. Was previously fit/healthy.
flowersofwar31/03/2020 12:46

Hospitals are testing people that are hospitalised from the symptoms. I …Hospitals are testing people that are hospitalised from the symptoms. I had private testing for myself.

Negative?
flowersofwar31/03/2020 13:06

Positive. This was a while ago now.

So assume you're fully recovered and feeling ok I hope? Any other health issues and age range? if you don't mind my curiousity.
mas9931/03/2020 13:00

Problem with that is that even the real kits have a huge false negative …Problem with that is that even the real kits have a huge false negative rate. Plus there are huge numbers of fake kits about.How serious is it? My cousin's wife died on Sunday. She had a slight cough on Friday evening, got worse over Saturday and died Sunday am. Was previously fit/healthy.

I went to a private clinic for testing.
.MUFC.31/03/2020 13:08

So assume you're fully recovered and feeling ok I hope? Any other health …So assume you're fully recovered and feeling ok I hope? Any other health issues and age range? if you don't mind my curiousity.

I'm 30, asthmatic, but very fit. I work for the silly NHS and pretty sure I got it from a colleague that self isolated without informing any of us about their severe symptoms.

I'm 30, asthmatic, but very fit. I work for the silly NHS and pretty sure …I'm 30, asthmatic, but very fit. I work for the silly NHS and pretty sure I got it from a colleague that self isolated without informing any of us about their severe symptoms.

Very selfish of them. Hope you're ok now.
I got tested and thankfully all clear.

40238217-1H9cQ.jpg
The true positive rate (sensitivity) of the nose-throat swabs is 73%. It there misses out 27% who maybe actually be positive, and a study with CT chests found 83% actually had lung changes.

The other factor is when a test is carried out within the time course of the infection can effect positivity. Data suggests 5 days +/- 1.

mbio.asm.org/con…-20

phc.ox.ac.uk/cov…-19
Everybody I speak to reckons they've had or got symptons like corona virus but need tests to confirm.
mas9931/03/2020 13:00

Problem with that is that even the real kits have a huge false negative …Problem with that is that even the real kits have a huge false negative rate. Plus there are huge numbers of fake kits about.How serious is it? My cousin's wife died on Sunday. She had a slight cough on Friday evening, got worse over Saturday and died Sunday am. Was previously fit/healthy.

Very sorry to hear of your loss

Thnak God you came through safely. And thank you for being among the huge number of self-sacrificing NHS workers at all levels - esp' at the frontline - who are helping us all without complaint about the personal toll it's having. xx
sd1331/03/2020 13:32

Comment deleted

Welcome to the Internet. You must be new here. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Woman up here died last week and had 3 test over 3 days and was negative twice and positive the day she died
c_1st31/03/2020 13:31

Very sorry to hear of your loss

Thanks. Its very difficult for the immediate family they don't know yet what is going to happen about the funeral.

I'm trying to take the view that my elderly relatives who hadn't been taking this very seriously are now rather shocked and behaving themselves.
Scotland131431/03/2020 13:45

Woman up here died last week and had 3 test over 3 days and was negative …Woman up here died last week and had 3 test over 3 days and was negative twice and positive the day she died

Who exactly tested her?
My uncle was self isolating for a week, and had a high fever and a cough. He was rushed to hospital last night struggling to breathe.
Was told he'll end up in intensive care within the next 24 hours.

Waiting on results from the test they took last night. Hope he will be ok
kos1c31/03/2020 13:59

My uncle was self isolating for a week, and had a high fever and a cough. …My uncle was self isolating for a week, and had a high fever and a cough. He was rushed to hospital last night struggling to breathe. Was told he'll end up in intensive care within the next 24 hours. Waiting on results from the test they took last night. Hope he will be ok

Best wishes to your uncle, yourself and family.
I got tested privately through my job yesterday and got the all clear. Occupationally I’ll be tested on a weekly basis.
.MUFC.31/03/2020 14:01

Best wishes to your uncle, yourself and family.

Thank you, was a big shock.
He was working in central London, as in door roof/ceiling/cladding work.
So on the packed trains during rush hour.
Major concern is he is 60, hoping for the best.
.MUFC.31/03/2020 13:13

Very selfish of them. Hope you're ok now.

Yes a lot better now thanks.

Now one of the herd, welcome to moo moo land, not justified or ancient.
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm interested to read how many HUKD people have got through it.

Through the media we only get how many people have died after testing positive, and the only people testing positive, are people who are in need of hospital treatment. Hopefully that means that many more people have had it, and not felt the need for treatment.

I've had a bad man-flu that I've not managed to shake for nearly 3 weeks now. Absolutely a bad man-flu. I didn't get a fever, and my stomach problems were probably due to the amount of honey and lemon I was drinking to try to stop the cough. I doubt it would be covid-19, but if they offered antibody testing down the line, I'd be interested to know.

But then, my dad, who started a week or 2 before me, did have a 2 day fever at the start.

I've read a few people lose their taste and smell. I've not had that, so probably, definitely, man-flu. I can still taste and smell, but I have a terrible taste and smell that won't go away. No amount of blowing my nose or cleaning my teeth will get rid of it. The top of my tongue and the back of my nostrils feel off, in some way. It's hard to describe. Maybe the back of my nose is a bit sore, the top of my tongue feels maybe numb, bumpy, dry, fat. My tongue looks fine, but feels odd.

I'd be curious if anyone testing positive had anything similar with their tongue or nose.

Obviously, probably, absolutely a bad man-flu. If covid-19 is worse than man-flu I have no chance.
Pualle31/03/2020 16:22

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm interested to read how many HUKD …I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm interested to read how many HUKD people have got through it.Through the media we only get how many people have died after testing positive, and the only people testing positive, are people who are in need of hospital treatment. Hopefully that means that many more people have had it, and not felt the need for treatment.I've had a bad man-flu that I've not managed to shake for nearly 3 weeks now. Absolutely a bad man-flu. I didn't get a fever, and my stomach problems were probably due to the amount of honey and lemon I was drinking to try to stop the cough. I doubt it would be covid-19, but if they offered antibody testing down the line, I'd be interested to know.But then, my dad, who started a week or 2 before me, did have a 2 day fever at the start.I've read a few people lose their taste and smell. I've not had that, so probably, definitely, man-flu. I can still taste and smell, but I have a terrible taste and smell that won't go away. No amount of blowing my nose or cleaning my teeth will get rid of it. The top of my tongue and the back of my nostrils feel off, in some way. It's hard to describe. Maybe the back of my nose is a bit sore, the top of my tongue feels maybe numb, bumpy, dry, fat. My tongue looks fine, but feels odd.I'd be curious if anyone testing positive had anything similar with their tongue or nose.Obviously, probably, absolutely a bad man-flu. If covid-19 is worse than man-flu I have no chance.

had man flu myself for last 3 days. phelgmy cough but they say the covid is continuous and dry. I dont feel like I have it but last night had the cold shivers and could not get warm no matter how many clothes I put on. Im 36 relatively healthy but it seems this virus takes no prisoners, have a friend in his 50s who is in a coma right now at Berkshire Hospital. Not good.
jinkssick31/03/2020 16:36

had man flu myself for last 3 days. phelgmy cough but they say the covid …had man flu myself for last 3 days. phelgmy cough but they say the covid is continuous and dry. I dont feel like I have it but last night had the cold shivers and could not get warm no matter how many clothes I put on. Im 36 relatively healthy but it seems this virus takes no prisoners, have a friend in his 50s who is in a coma right now at Berkshire Hospital. Not good.

Get some zinc and vitamin C tablets down you. They're equally good either way.

How many clothes did you put on?!

My thoughts are with your friend.
Do you think the numbers are way lower than the real number? Deaths etc, i wonder if we will be as bad as Spain?
jinkssick31/03/2020 16:36

had man flu myself for last 3 days. phelgmy cough but they say the covid …had man flu myself for last 3 days. phelgmy cough but they say the covid is continuous and dry. I dont feel like I have it but last night had the cold shivers and could not get warm no matter how many clothes I put on. Im 36 relatively healthy but it seems this virus takes no prisoners, have a friend in his 50s who is in a coma right now at Berkshire Hospital. Not good.

I was the same for about a week. In my second week of isolation now. Just getting over it. Freezing cold. Heating on full. Layers of clothes and even gloves. Cough was chesty. Mine wasn’t man flu because I’m a woman lol. I’ve also had my flu jab. The thing is if we didn’t know about Covid we would just assume we had a bad cold.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm interested to read how many HUKD …I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm interested to read how many HUKD people have got through it.Through the media we only get how many people have died after testing positive, and the only people testing positive, are people who are in need of hospital treatment. Hopefully that means that many more people have had it, and not felt the need for treatment.I've had a bad man-flu that I've not managed to shake for nearly 3 weeks now. Absolutely a bad man-flu. I didn't get a fever, and my stomach problems were probably due to the amount of honey and lemon I was drinking to try to stop the cough. I doubt it would be covid-19, but if they offered antibody testing down the line, I'd be interested to know.But then, my dad, who started a week or 2 before me, did have a 2 day fever at the start.I've read a few people lose their taste and smell. I've not had that, so probably, definitely, man-flu. I can still taste and smell, but I have a terrible taste and smell that won't go away. No amount of blowing my nose or cleaning my teeth will get rid of it. The top of my tongue and the back of my nostrils feel off, in some way. It's hard to describe. Maybe the back of my nose is a bit sore, the top of my tongue feels maybe numb, bumpy, dry, fat. My tongue looks fine, but feels odd.I'd be curious if anyone testing positive had anything similar with their tongue or nose.Obviously, probably, absolutely a bad man-flu. If covid-19 is worse than man-flu I have no chance.

I suspect and hope the number of infections is far far higher than the current statistics suggest. I believe this virus has been amongst us since the new year and that early deaths were put down as flu. First infection was detected on 31/1 in both Italy and the UK only because that was the first time we had testing available. Eagerly awaiting the results from the ongoing antibody tests in wuhan. Even a 3% infection rate would be a cause for celebration.

This could be a huge case of bad science based on incomplete data. 27,000 people died in England in the last flu season yet most deaths are registered as the underlying disease rather than flu. This barely gets a mention in the media.

On the contrary, all deaths due to Covid19 are recorded as such despite the vast majority of victims having an underlying disease and a government health advisor stated that between 50 and 75 per cent of the fatalities would probably have died this year. Obviously, still tragic.

The average age of death in Italy is 83 and the average age of the victims in Italy categorised as a Covid19 death is 78.5 with 9 out of 10 being over 70. This could give hope in that only the elderly and the vulnerable need lockdown measures moving forward once the NHS is geared up to cope with the potential patients coming from this group

Iceland is where I look for even some kind of realistic figure as they are testing far more than the UK. (population 340,000, infections 1135, deaths 2). Even looking at Germany where they are testing far more mild cases, the mortality rate is far lower than our distorted figures present.

worldometers.info/cor…us/

The uk figures are nonsense as we're only testing hospital admissions. There could well be 100 times the current reported number of infection cases. Extrapolate that and we could be looking at a mortality rate akin to influenza. The issue though is the infection rate of 2.5-3 compared to flu of 1.4 hence the need for the current lockdown

This Dr explains my thoughts far better than I could and we should hope he's on to something. Fingers crossed.

spectator.co.uk/art…ink
Edited by: "chocci" 31st Mar
My wife was ill she lost her sense of taste and smell, then I was off for a week with it but that was before last Xmas
Pualle31/03/2020 17:24

Get some zinc and vitamin C tablets down you. They're equally good either …Get some zinc and vitamin C tablets down you. They're equally good either way. How many clothes did you put on?! My thoughts are with your friend.

@jinkssick Hope your friend is ok! I swear by RAW garlic! Honestly, it’s brilliant. Packed with Zinc, natural antibiotic, vitamin C and D. Crush a couple of cloves and sprinkle on an omelette or noodles or just roll up in a piece of ham (if not veggie) but the garlic must be injectedraw for potency. I take it every winter a couple of times a week. Yeah you’ll stink but who cares. Google the benefits. Had a stinking cold not long back and it fixed it! Not had a cold for 5 years! Would like to know if I had COVID-19 too. All the best.
Edited by: "wagamamaluva" 31st Mar
wagamamaluva31/03/2020 20:25

Hope your friend is ok! I swear by RAW garlic! Honestly, it’s brilliant. P …Hope your friend is ok! I swear by RAW garlic! Honestly, it’s brilliant. Packed with Zinc, natural antibiotic, vitamin C and D. Crush a couple of cloves and sprinkle on an omelette or noodles or just roll up in a piece of ham (if not veggie) but the garlic must be injectedraw for potency. I take it every winter a couple of times a week. Yeah you’ll stink but who cares. Google the benefits. Had a stinking cold not long back and it fixed it! Not had a cold for 5 years! Would like to know if I had COVID-19 too. All the best.

Oops sent to you by mistake, sorry. Meant to send to @jinkssick
Edited by: "wagamamaluva" 31st Mar
wagamamaluva31/03/2020 20:26

Oops sent to you by mistake, sorry. Meant to send to @jinkssick

Cheers for that. It's worrying and first case was detected in Nov 17 so things really should have been in place by start of New Year.

+1 for the honey and lemon
A sore throat for the best part of two weeks a cough but really not a bad one
not feverish but having the central heating turned right up made me feel 10 times better

Just feeling awful very much like a hangover did lose my appetite briefly but when it came back had huge munchies
Also lost some taste/smell

Nothing wrong with my tongue but had pretty bad earache
symptoms came and went all the time would wake up feeling fine then pole axed a few hours later

All the best to people with friends/ relatives with this

Forgot about the shortness of breath something so scary went into denial about it.
Edited by: "Wongy110" 1st Apr
jinkssick31/03/2020 21:56

Cheers for that. It's worrying and first case was detected in Nov 17 so …Cheers for that. It's worrying and first case was detected in Nov 17 so things really should have been in place by start of New Year.

Wow! That early. I remember sooo many people at work being ill and off sick just before Christmas with bad colds too. Worrying also since they keep changing symptoms as this virus is apparently becoming more unpredictable. Get some raw garlic down you.
Ive not been tested.But I felt awful. Dry itchy cough down upper wind pipe. Couch was annoying but would come and go, and harder to breath especially at night when I was sitting or in bed and notice it. Lasted 4 days. Caught off Mrs. It's not nice and you panic a bit as you think your done for . It's nothing like a cold of flu. I carried on with jobs at home no problem. No runny nose. No sore throat. No temperature. No headache. It's like I had been in loft without mask on. Or sniffing pepper. Felling unwell with waves of it that passed over.. We've all had that...

Mrs had temperature. Headache. Hard to breathe with back ache but no cough. She never coughs anyway even with a common cold..
Symptoms are a lottery from what I read.
I've gone to work feeling far worse in the past. I'll be in queue for immunity test if there ever is one.
Edited by: "wayners" 1st Apr
Had a nasty chesty/flemy cough since the start of Feb, along with cold-like symptoms, no fever or high temperature and no dry cough but I've only just managed to get rid of the cold-like symptoms, still left with the flemy cough. I had the normal flu jab before Christmas so I will be interested to see if any testing done on the general population shows that I have actually had it or not. I am a key-worker so have continued to work but have been extremely cautious about surfaces, regular hand washing and keeping the 2m distance, if everyone else continues following these basic instructions, we should slow the spread. It's been hard not seeing friends and family but I would rather keep to that and ensure I don't put anyone at risk, keep going peeps x
One guy at work who isolated

And friend pesonanlly knows someone who has died
Got told 80% of people who go on ventilators will die, looks like if your one of the ones it affects bad, you don’t have much chance...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions