How much and how long should an annual boiler service be?

Found 13th Nov 2015
How much and how long should an annual boiler service be?

Whats the average price and how long should it take.

1. Ask
  2. Boiler
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Boiler
22 Comments

Depends on many things have a look on here for more info and a handy quote funtion but remember you do not have to go with this company but it will give you a rough price
myboilerservice.com/boi…sts

Edited by: "madmax666" 13th Nov 2015

Original Poster

Just paid £60 for a guy to look at the boiler for ten mins, not remove the cover said he checked levels but i saw no meter, no check list left.
Edited by: "MrToast" 13th Nov 2015

My plumber charges £70 takes just under a hour.

Original Poster

ashopaholic123

My plumber charges £70 takes just under a hour.

Expected about an hour, cover removed brushed or vacuumed out ect

i would say about £100- £150 if it is to be done thoroughly. about 45 minutes.

Only had mine serviced once in 12 years. Guy raked a wire brush around for 10 minutes and spent 5 minutes monitoring the flue,. Charged me £50 and this was 6 years ago. A waste of money doing it every year imho

Summer is the best time to get it done, call the manufacturer and they normally have their engineers sitting around in the summer so offer servicing for a good price ours charges £69 no good in the winter though as they are too busy fixing warranty faults.

mutley1

i would say about £100- £150 if it is to be done thoroughly. about 45 m … i would say about £100- £150 if it is to be done thoroughly. about 45 minutes.

Lol. 45 mins work for £150! oO

Original Poster

But could they do a proper annual service in ten mins and justify charging £60

chocci

Lol. 45 mins work for £150! oO

but don't forget the corgi engineer would charge premium for being a corgi registered then he would have had to travel to you and back.

mutley1

but don't forget the corgi engineer would charge premium for being a … but don't forget the corgi engineer would charge premium for being a corgi registered then he would have had to travel to you and back.

Still wouldn't be anywhere near £150 and only gas safe engineers can service boilers anyhow.

MrToast

But could they do a proper annual service in ten mins and justify … But could they do a proper annual service in ten mins and justify charging £60

the standard charge is normally £70 to £80 but to be honest i have had these guys round and all they do is look at the boiler and won't service them properly. just lip service. this is london rates so it may be cheaper elsewhere in the country.

Original Poster

I thought this was the standard for a service

Our engineer will inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they are operating safely.

The inspection will include checking your boiler for corrosion and leaks.

Your boiler casing will be removed to check the functioning of its main components.

A gas pressure check will ensure your boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure.

A flue test will ensure that no unsafe emissions are being released from your boiler.

Your boiler’s parts will be cleaned as required.

Your boiler’s casing will be put back on and properly sealed.

Our engineer will leave a checklist with you including all of the relevant information you need about the safety of your boiler.

MrToast

I thought this was the standard for a service Our engineer will … I thought this was the standard for a service Our engineer will inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they are operating safely. The inspection will include checking your boiler for corrosion and leaks. Your boiler casing will be removed to check the functioning of its main components. A gas pressure check will ensure your boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure. A flue test will ensure that no unsafe emissions are being released from your boiler. Your boiler’s parts will be cleaned as required. Your boiler’s casing will be put back on and properly sealed. Our engineer will leave a checklist with you including all of the relevant information you need about the safety of your boiler.

that is how a service should be done but i can't see how someone can spend about 3 hours (if you include travel time) for £60 to do all this. that's like £20 an hour. would a gas safe engineer work for £20 an hour if he has to deduct expenses out of this £20? i don't think so.

MrToast

But could they do a proper annual service in ten mins and justify … But could they do a proper annual service in ten mins and justify charging £60

nope a full service hasnt been done.

30-45 mins is minimum really.

From Which

You can download our free boiler servicing checklist -
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/boiler-servicing-checklist-pdf-412872.pdf

Watch the engineer and use our checklist to ensure that they cover the basics. A good boiler service
should last at least 30 minutes. If it’s shorter than this, ask why. Finally, ask for a written report and
check it is accurately filled out. If you have any concerns, contact the Gas Safe Register.
There are many different
boiler types. This is an
illustration of a fan assisted
room sealed boiler

A good boiler service should include:
A visual check of the boiler and flame, if possible
Checks on the flue
(externally and internally)
Checking the operating pressure and / or heat input
Checking safety devices
Check case seals form an effective seal
Boiler casing removed to check all main boiler components (burner, heat exchanger, main injector, spark / sensor probe)
Boiler fired safely to identify any working faults Boiler parts cleaned, if necessary
A service report showing everything the engineer has done

this shows you the key things you should expect to have done during a full boiler service. You should get your boiler serviced every year. Make sure the engineer is Gas Safe registered.

Someone who’s been trained is likely to do a better job than someone working illegally. Ask what will be included in the boiler service and make a note.

Watch the engineer and use our checklist to ensure that they cover the basics. A good boiler service should last at least 30 minutes. If it’s shorter than this, ask why.

Finally, ask for a written report and check it is accurately filled out. If you have any concerns, contact the Gas Safe Register. It's also worth getting a carbon monoxide detector. Though the checklist should stand you in good stead for most boilers, bear in mind that not all boilers are the same.

For most older conventional systems, for example, parts such as the heat exchanger, burner and fan would need to be dismantled and checked. This would not normally be necessary for a modern boiler, unless the flue gas analysis suggests that there is a problem.

which.co.uk/rev…ice
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 13th Nov 2015

I've just paid £45, this week it took all of 20 minutes, but he tested all the water levels and for carbon monoxide levels!
thankfully no problems! Yippeeee

Ive just had mine service today was here 10min its a A rated boiler (bax) with 7yr waranty been in 2years now cost me £30

Original Poster

Ours is a 5 year old vaillant, still seems to me that a proper service has not been done, £60 for 10 mins, £360 p/h?

Vaillant themselves charge £79 for this full service.

prices will vary £60-80 is what hubby charges..spends an hour,removing cover, checking burner, gas tightness test, co2 test. 10 mins is no way enough! some ppl really dont have a conscience! you can get in touch with gassafe if yoyr not happy.

eslick

Summer is the best time to get it done, call the manufacturer and they … Summer is the best time to get it done, call the manufacturer and they normally have their engineers sitting around in the summer so offer servicing for a good price ours charges £69 no good in the winter though as they are too busy fixing warranty faults.

​these days ur warranty is void if the boiler is not serviced yearly

There is a difference between a boiler service and an 'annual safety inspection' all the maintenance contracts provide.

You can do a BG inspection in about 10-15 minutes. A proper service will be a minimum of 30 minutes, and some can be up to an 1 1/2 hours if it's an old boiler/access is poor.

£50-£80 is the going rate around here.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions