How much are scrap family cars worth?

Found 5th JunEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
My neighbor has a 2003 vauxhall astra and a ford focus sitting on his drive with no mot, both cars have slight issues from needing new brake pads to having the engine management lights on etc, he mentioned he is getting rid of them to a scrap yard, I thought I may get one for my son as he is interested in and studying motor mechanics. Let him practice changing and bleeding brakes etc. If cars are scrap value what Is a fair offer for one of the cars. I was thinking of just offering about £60 but is this a cheeky offer as don't want to offend him, how much do scrap cars fetch these days.
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
£80-£150. I do think £60 is way less
Why doesn't your son fix the car for them instead?
Misslovely31 m ago

£80-£150. I do think £60 is way lessWhy doesn't your son fix the car for th …£80-£150. I do think £60 is way lessWhy doesn't your son fix the car for them instead?

They now have newer cars so don't think they are interested in having them put back on the road and also my son is not that capable that he could diagnose why the engine management light is on for example as he is only just started getting into mechanics, I just thought he could practice removing and cleaning the spark plugs etc and after he has finished his course and practiced little bits we then just scrap the car, maybe it is not so good an idea as it was more just a quick thought. Just did not want to to pay for example £150 and then ring in 3 months can only get £50 or less scrap. Last time I scrapped a car was 20 plus years ago and think I got about £35.
My dads car was stolen end of November last year. The thieves took it for a joyride and then dumped it in a canal. He got £110 scrap for it.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Jun
Got £80 for my little peugeot
Get your neighbour to ring a scrap yard and see what they will offer for it and then say you will match it.you should be looking at about £90 scrap value for an Astra I reckon
Scrapping a car because it needs brake pads.
I put my son's W-Plate 2000 146,000 mile 1.3 Yaris MOT failure on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago.

Advertised it at £150, in less than 10 mins I had about a dozen calls/texts from dealers wanting to come pick it up. I could have sold 10 of them. Collected for cash within the hour at £125
stuuuuuuu1 h, 18 m ago

Get your neighbour to ring a scrap yard and see what they will offer for …Get your neighbour to ring a scrap yard and see what they will offer for it and then say you will match it.you should be looking at about £90 scrap value for an Astra I reckon

I got £97 for a micra the other week, should be more for a bigger Astra.
I got £140 scrap for a 04 Scenic on Saturday but the Astra's a bit smaller so maybe he would get £100/£120.
Ask him to scrap the one you don’t want and then buy the other from him at same price?

Will be anywhere between £100-150, your thoughts of £60 are way off the mark.
Phone around
Take £100+ we just drove in and they gave us cheque
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Jun
Uridium11 h, 8 m ago

I put my son's W-Plate 2000 146,000 mile 1.3 Yaris MOT failure on Gumtree …I put my son's W-Plate 2000 146,000 mile 1.3 Yaris MOT failure on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago.Advertised it at £150, in less than 10 mins I had about a dozen calls/texts from dealers wanting to come pick it up. I could have sold 10 of them. Collected for cash within the hour at £125

So you had dozens of calls within 10 minutes, it was advertised at £150 and then you accepted £125??
dataload1 h, 56 m ago

So you had dozens of calls within 10 minutes, it was advertised at £150 …So you had dozens of calls within 10 minutes, it was advertised at £150 and then you accepted £125??

The Law of gumtree....never advertise something for the price you really want. I actually wanted £100

If I'd turned down the £125 offer to try and get £150 from the next person to turn up then chances are the next buyer that turned up would have offered less than advertised price as well.
Uridium48 m ago

The Law of gumtree....never advertise something for the price you really …The Law of gumtree....never advertise something for the price you really want. I actually wanted £100If I'd turned down the £125 offer to try and get £150 from the next person to turn up then chances are the next buyer that turned up would have offered less than advertised price as well.

I'm surprised you didn't get people ringing offering about £50...that's what happened to me when I put mine on for spares or repairs.
One asked me loads of stuff then offered me £75 but only if I put it through the Mot first lol
Depends where you live too. My wife scrapped her car (a nissan micra) last year. If we lived in a city like manchester, liverpool, leeds, etc she would have got around £100-130 London was around £150. But down here in cornwall the most she was offered was £20. We took the radio/cd out as it was only a year old and sold it for £15. Then sold the car to a young lad who also wanted to practice mechanics etc for £20. You can go online and and put in the car details and see how much local scrappies will give. Then you could offer the same.
Pop the Reg into webuyabycar.com, I would offer £10 under that value.
Ask them what they want for it. Depending on how well you get on with them, they may even say take it away. Especially once you explain why you want it.
As for engine management light. An OBD2 reader would probably help diagnose that. If he fixes it up and sells it, give some money to the neighbour.

In fact if your son was to scrap it, promise the proceeds to the neighbour. It’s not like it will be worth less with some practice repairs on it.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 6th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants