Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

How much carpet do I need

Posted 6th Aug
We are looking to replace the carpet in the downstairs and upstairs hall, together with the stairs.

I have had 2 independent shops come round and I have visited one. They are all very hesitant when I ask them how much carpet do I need. They don't seem to like to disclose this information

They are happy enough to quote a price but don't like to tell you the actual measurements.

I have calculated the actual area, and adding 10% margin, I am coming out with 23 sqm. I have looked online for a carpet calculator and they only measure rooms, which is not exactly rocket science!

The 3 carpet shops however are telling me I need much more than this, here are the measurements, all of which are different.

30 sqm
32.5 sqm
35 sqm

Are they over estimating to justify their expensive quote?? Or am I missing something about carpet fitting? I asked the shop who quoted 35 sqm why it was so much more than the actual area and he said that carpet and area are not the same.

Anyone know how I can check if the shops are trying to pull a fast one?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You've had two carpet shops come round to have a look and presumably estimate the amount but you are asking us?
cecilmcroberts06/08/2020 18:08

You never supplied anyone here the measurements. Should we just guess? …You never supplied anyone here the measurements. Should we just guess? Should we just guess that stairs dont have a twist at the top and are straight? Would you trust a random person off the internet who has never seen the place or the people who actually have and do the job for a living? Comment will probably be deleted anyhow, another pointless question when no advice will be taken anyhow.

It's a recurring theme on here isn't it. Have an electrician or handyman come round to look at a job and then post a thread asking if what they said was correct or somehow or other doubting their advice and knowledge. I just think that some people seem to have a real issue trusting these professionals.
Interesting thread. Let me add my opinions based on the fact that I'm a carpet fitter. Firstly you have asked 3 company's to give you a quote. Did you pay for this service? If not then what makes you think the companys will tell you the amount of flooring your require? I offer a free no obligation quote. I do not hand over sizes to the customer. This is to stop people calling me out to measure up and then use my sizes to go elsewhere and use another company to purchase or fit there flooring. If the customer wants the sizes I charge them and if the customer accepts my quote this "measure" charge comes off of there fitting charge. I wasted countless hours of my time giving customers free sizes to never here from them. As mentioned most carpets come in widths of 4m & 5m with some carpets coming in 3m a well. If you want you stairs fitted in 1 full section you will probably be purchasing a lot more carpet then required. When I measure I allows 10cm on each measurement this to to allow for cutting. No if a carpet fitter prefers to fit a straight stair case in one full section this will probably be because fitting charges are normally based on the amount of carpet supplied and like I mentioned above, because the stairs are in one cut that means more carpet which also means a larger fitting charge. The sizes you have been given don't differ hugely. So may e the estimator has allowed more on certain measurements or hasn't accounted for waste from areas being used on stairs etc.... Steps on average are around 45cm (18 inch) over the nose (tread to riser. Sometimes companies are just lazy and allow 50cm and over a 12 step staircase this would mean they've allowed for an extra step. Now based on a 4m roll this would be an extra 2.4m2. It's all these little measurements that add up. Or maybe you've just measured it incorrectly?? Customers own sizes can be a nightmare especially when wrong or not accounting for pile direction so everything matches.
And thread expired with no thanks from the OP
109 Comments
Loads
Mutley the dont measure like that. They measure by the roll. So you need to measure meters in lengths of the roll unless they have an offcut. .

So if a roll is 3 or 4mtrs in width how many meters of roll do you need.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 6th Aug
You've had two carpet shops come round to have a look and presumably estimate the amount but you are asking us?
It's not just the area, but also the dimensions. If your hallway is 2m wide and 6m long, you want 12sq m, but as the roll is 3m wide, you have to buy 3m X 6m = 18 sq m assuming you don't want lots of joints to trip over
robertsclark06/08/2020 17:45

It's not just the area, but also the dimensions. If your hallway is 2m …It's not just the area, but also the dimensions. If your hallway is 2m wide and 6m long, you want 12sq m, but as the roll is 3m wide, you have to buy 3m X 6m = 18 sq m assuming you don't want lots of joints to trip over

thanks. i am aware of this as the carpet comes in 4m and 5m width. the halls and stairs in total add up to 4m wide so I am guessing they would get a 5m roll and cut that into 3 strips? one for upstairs, one for downstairs and one for the stairs?

when i asked the shop this, he said a roll cannot be cut lengthwise into 3 strips, but he didn't explain why!

also, do you know if you can have a join on the stairs, or has that got to be one piece?
Edited by: "mutley1" 6th Aug
Haircut_10006/08/2020 17:43

You've had two carpet shops come round to have a look and presumably …You've had two carpet shops come round to have a look and presumably estimate the amount but you are asking us?

because for all i know they are trying to pull a fast one by inflating the amount of carpet i need to justify their pricing as i know how much the carpet costs per square metre.

they could also be trying to sell me too much carpet to make more profit. if i can work out for myself how much carpet i actually need, it may work out a lot cheaper for me to tell them how much carpet i want to buy and pay for a carpet fitter myself.
mutley106/08/2020 18:03

because for all i know they are trying to pull a fast one by inflating the …because for all i know they are trying to pull a fast one by inflating the amount of carpet i need to justify their pricing as i know how much the carpet costs per square metre.they could also be trying to sell me too much carpet to make more profit. if i can work out for myself how much carpet i actually need, it may work out a lot cheaper for me to tell them how much carpet i want to buy and pay for a carpet fitter myself.

They aren't "trying to pull a fast one". They know the best way to get the amount of carpet they need to cover an area from the rolls. Leave the measuring and estimating to the experts, they aren't trying to rip you off.
You never supplied anyone here the measurements. Should we just guess? Should we just guess that stairs dont have a twist at the top and are straight? Would you trust a random person off the internet who has never seen the place or the people who actually have and do the job for a living?
Comment will probably be deleted anyhow, another pointless question when no advice will be taken anyhow.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th Aug
Is it plain or patterned? Pattern means they have to match the pattern so it depends on the repeat distance.
Even if its plain there will be a 'direction' to it, just the same as there is with fabric.

Yes you can join on stairs, although it depends a bit on how you want it fitting - rods or not? edge to edge or do you need the edge to be woven?
You can have a join on the stairs, usually the join is at the bottom of a riser and that’s how they go round a return onto the landing.
mas9906/08/2020 18:19

Is it plain or patterned? Pattern means they have to match the pattern …Is it plain or patterned? Pattern means they have to match the pattern so it depends on the repeat distance.Even if its plain there will be a 'direction' to it, just the same as there is with fabric.Yes you can join on stairs, although it depends a bit on how you want it fitting - rods or not? edge to edge or do you need the edge to be woven?

it's plain without any pattern. i think it all depends on whether they can do the stairs in one piece or can cut it. as that is the longest length.
Toptrumpet06/08/2020 18:19

You can have a join on the stairs, usually the join is at the bottom of a …You can have a join on the stairs, usually the join is at the bottom of a riser and that’s how they go round a return onto the landing.

i just googled this and opinion seems divided amongst carpet fitter. but it seems to be that they prefer to use one piece as that is quicker to lay, whereas putting in joins takes time and i am guessing the quotes for for as much carpet as possible as they don't pay the carpet fitters a lot of money, so they won't want to spend too much time fitting it.

i think the result is a lot more waste than it needs to be.
cecilmcroberts06/08/2020 18:08

You never supplied anyone here the measurements. Should we just guess? …You never supplied anyone here the measurements. Should we just guess? Should we just guess that stairs dont have a twist at the top and are straight? Would you trust a random person off the internet who has never seen the place or the people who actually have and do the job for a living? Comment will probably be deleted anyhow, another pointless question when no advice will be taken anyhow.

It's a recurring theme on here isn't it. Have an electrician or handyman come round to look at a job and then post a thread asking if what they said was correct or somehow or other doubting their advice and knowledge. I just think that some people seem to have a real issue trusting these professionals.
cutting one piece into three strips is possible but needs to be done with some care. They ought to have a large layout area for cutting, but if they use sub contractors for fitting they may not want to get involved in that and a fitter is unlikely to want to spread a huge bit of carpet out on the street and cut it into lengths.
mas9906/08/2020 18:24

cutting one piece into three strips is possible but needs to be done with …cutting one piece into three strips is possible but needs to be done with some care. They ought to have a large layout area for cutting, but if they use sub contractors for fitting they may not want to get involved in that and a fitter is unlikely to want to spread a huge bit of carpet out on the street and cut it into lengths.

cutting a piece into 3 strips need time and precision as you could spoil the whole carpet i guess, and it may be raining

i have not seen anyone cut carpet outside so this probably explain why they won't want to do it and will want to order 4m rolls and cut this into 2 instead as that is easier.
chikkinwings06/08/2020 19:17

Didn't you ask about this just a couple of weeks …Didn't you ask about this just a couple of weeks ago?https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/carpet-fitting-3508726

Mutley1 can ask what he wants.
You have measured double for the stairs right ? As in the vertical fronts of steps and the surface you step on.
Also carpet rolls come in set widths and you get charged for that width even if your room is half of that width, so that could be why it is a bigger measurement than you were expecting.
If your trying to find a price elsewhere, the square metres doesn't matter, only length x width, this is because of the reason stated above

Didn't you ask about this just a couple of weeks …Didn't you ask about this just a couple of weeks ago?https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/carpet-fitting-3508726

that was whether the carpet shop came round to measure, which they obviously do.

this one is about how much carpet do i need as I think they are trying to sell me too much carpet.

Wait until next week when we get to choose the pattern and colour
Mark_Hickman06/08/2020 19:23

You have measured double for the stairs right ? As in the vertical fronts …You have measured double for the stairs right ? As in the vertical fronts of steps and the surface you step on.Also carpet rolls come in set widths and you get charged for that width even if your room is half of that width, so that could be why it is a bigger measurement than you were expecting.If your trying to find a price elsewhere, the square metres doesn't matter, only length x width, this is because of the reason stated above

yes of course! i added up the risers and treads areas to get the length of the carpet. i think they have priced for a 4m roll and cut that into two pieces as otherwise it would be a lot more than what they have quoted.

i thought they were going to use 5m roll and cut that into 3, in which case the carpet needed is a lot less.
Blueskinnedbeast06/08/2020 19:32

Wait until next week when we get to choose the pattern and colour

Slow down a bit. Gotta check the price of the underlay and gripper rods first before we start looking at colours.
chikkinwings06/08/2020 19:34

Slow down a bit. Gotta check the price of the underlay and gripper rods …Slow down a bit. Gotta check the price of the underlay and gripper rods first before we start looking at colours.

I admit I got over excited
chikkinwings06/08/2020 19:34

Slow down a bit. Gotta check the price of the underlay and gripper rods …Slow down a bit. Gotta check the price of the underlay and gripper rods first before we start looking at colours.

But,but, do we really need new gripper rods or maybe they just trying it on for more money. We should all know since we've seen them.What if its going to rain that day also, will they be able to fit it.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th Aug
Must take ages to research these ideas?
"I have calculated the actual area, and adding 10% margin, I am coming out with 23 sqm. I have looked online for a carpet calculator and they only measure rooms, which is not exactly rocket science!"

@mutley1

If you don't like either quote you could buy what you think you need and fit them yourself.
Interesting thread. Let me add my opinions based on the fact that I'm a carpet fitter. Firstly you have asked 3 company's to give you a quote. Did you pay for this service? If not then what makes you think the companys will tell you the amount of flooring your require? I offer a free no obligation quote. I do not hand over sizes to the customer. This is to stop people calling me out to measure up and then use my sizes to go elsewhere and use another company to purchase or fit there flooring. If the customer wants the sizes I charge them and if the customer accepts my quote this "measure" charge comes off of there fitting charge. I wasted countless hours of my time giving customers free sizes to never here from them. As mentioned most carpets come in widths of 4m & 5m with some carpets coming in 3m a well. If you want you stairs fitted in 1 full section you will probably be purchasing a lot more carpet then required. When I measure I allows 10cm on each measurement this to to allow for cutting. No if a carpet fitter prefers to fit a straight stair case in one full section this will probably be because fitting charges are normally based on the amount of carpet supplied and like I mentioned above, because the stairs are in one cut that means more carpet which also means a larger fitting charge. The sizes you have been given don't differ hugely. So may e the estimator has allowed more on certain measurements or hasn't accounted for waste from areas being used on stairs etc.... Steps on average are around 45cm (18 inch) over the nose (tread to riser. Sometimes companies are just lazy and allow 50cm and over a 12 step staircase this would mean they've allowed for an extra step. Now based on a 4m roll this would be an extra 2.4m2. It's all these little measurements that add up. Or maybe you've just measured it incorrectly?? Customers own sizes can be a nightmare especially when wrong or not accounting for pile direction so everything matches.
myusernamehasgone23406/08/2020 19:48

"I have calculated the actual area, and adding 10% margin, I am coming out …"I have calculated the actual area, and adding 10% margin, I am coming out with 23 sqm. I have looked online for a carpet calculator and they only measure rooms, which is not exactly rocket science!"@mutley1 If you don't like either quote you could buy what you think you need and fit them yourself.

the shops are not measuring accurately either, or they are not telling me honestly how much carpet is needed as the two that came out to measure had the same carpet, but one said 30 sqm and one said 35 sqm. that is already a difference of £200 for the same carpet!

i am going to send the drawings with accurate measurements to some carpet fitters and ask them to advise me how much carpet I need and how much they will charge for fitting the carpet, to see if this will work out cheaper than the quotes I have received from the shops.

i do think the shops are over estimating the amount of carpet I need as this is how they make extra profit.
f3rritt06/08/2020 20:09

Interesting thread. Let me add my opinions based on the fact that I'm a …Interesting thread. Let me add my opinions based on the fact that I'm a carpet fitter. Firstly you have asked 3 company's to give you a quote. Did you pay for this service? If not then what makes you think the companys will tell you the amount of flooring your require? I offer a free no obligation quote. I do not hand over sizes to the customer. This is to stop people calling me out to measure up and then use my sizes to go elsewhere and use another company to purchase or fit there flooring. If the customer wants the sizes I charge them and if the customer accepts my quote this "measure" charge comes off of there fitting charge. I wasted countless hours of my time giving customers free sizes to never here from them. As mentioned most carpets come in widths of 4m & 5m with some carpets coming in 3m a well. If you want you stairs fitted in 1 full section you will probably be purchasing a lot more carpet then required. When I measure I allows 10cm on each measurement this to to allow for cutting. No if a carpet fitter prefers to fit a straight stair case in one full section this will probably be because fitting charges are normally based on the amount of carpet supplied and like I mentioned above, because the stairs are in one cut that means more carpet which also means a larger fitting charge. The sizes you have been given don't differ hugely. So may e the estimator has allowed more on certain measurements or hasn't accounted for waste from areas being used on stairs etc.... Steps on average are around 45cm (18 inch) over the nose (tread to riser. Sometimes companies are just lazy and allow 50cm and over a 12 step staircase this would mean they've allowed for an extra step. Now based on a 4m roll this would be an extra 2.4m2. It's all these little measurements that add up. Or maybe you've just measured it incorrectly?? Customers own sizes can be a nightmare especially when wrong or not accounting for pile direction so everything matches.

Excellent post.
mutley106/08/2020 20:11

the shops are not measuring accurately either, or they are not telling me …the shops are not measuring accurately either, or they are not telling me honestly how much carpet is needed as the two that came out to measure had the same carpet, but one said 30 sqm and one said 35 sqm. that is already a difference of £200 for the same carpet! i am going to send the drawings with accurate measurements to some carpet fitters and ask them to advise me how much carpet I need and how much they will charge for fitting the carpet, to see if this will work out cheaper than the quotes I have received from the shops.i do think the shops are over estimating the amount of carpet I need as this is how they make extra profit.

Interesting thread. Let me add my opinions based on the fact that I'm a …Interesting thread. Let me add my opinions based on the fact that I'm a carpet fitter. Firstly you have asked 3 company's to give you a quote. Did you pay for this service? If not then what makes you think the companys will tell you the amount of flooring your require? I offer a free no obligation quote. I do not hand over sizes to the customer. This is to stop people calling me out to measure up and then use my sizes to go elsewhere and use another company to purchase or fit there flooring. If the customer wants the sizes I charge them and if the customer accepts my quote this "measure" charge comes off of there fitting charge. I wasted countless hours of my time giving customers free sizes to never here from them. As mentioned most carpets come in widths of 4m & 5m with some carpets coming in 3m a well. If you want you stairs fitted in 1 full section you will probably be purchasing a lot more carpet then required. When I measure I allows 10cm on each measurement this to to allow for cutting. No if a carpet fitter prefers to fit a straight stair case in one full section this will probably be because fitting charges are normally based on the amount of carpet supplied and like I mentioned above, because the stairs are in one cut that means more carpet which also means a larger fitting charge. The sizes you have been given don't differ hugely. So may e the estimator has allowed more on certain measurements or hasn't accounted for waste from areas being used on stairs etc.... Steps on average are around 45cm (18 inch) over the nose (tread to riser. Sometimes companies are just lazy and allow 50cm and over a 12 step staircase this would mean they've allowed for an extra step. Now based on a 4m roll this would be an extra 2.4m2. It's all these little measurements that add up. Or maybe you've just measured it incorrectly?? Customers own sizes can be a nightmare especially when wrong or not accounting for pile direction so everything matches.

Great explaination. @f3rritt

@mutley1 I would listen to the carpet fitter
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 6th Aug
And thread expired with no thanks from the OP

if they do not want to disclose the measurement, then they should be honest and say so rather than give false information! the problem with buying carpet from shops is that the guy who comes round is not the person who will be fitting it. it is the sales man for the shop, so he will want to sell as much carpet as he can as this is where he is making the profit.
Not always the case. Most "good" carpet shops have there own dedicated estimator. Normally an ex fitter or at least somebody with the correct knowledge to measure up properly.

Also I assume as the shops haven't given you any actual m2 size your working this out based on the price of the carpet a m2 and total price for the carpet? Are you sure no extras have been added to the total price like uplift and dispose of maybe furniture, or door plates or even underlay???

If you think shops are out to just make a quick profit why contact them??? Just order 23m2 (5.75 x 4.00 or 4.60 x 5.00) if your certain that's enough. Get a local fitter to fit it. It's either gonna fit (and you can be smug because you were right) or it will be short, which means you will need to order more. Also based on 23m2 I'd charge £89 to fit it. You did account for pile direction didn't you :/
Edited by: "f3rritt" 6th Aug

the shops are not measuring accurately either, or they are not telling me …the shops are not measuring accurately either, or they are not telling me honestly how much carpet is needed as the two that came out to measure had the same carpet, but one said 30 sqm and one said 35 sqm. that is already a difference of £200 for the same carpet! i am going to send the drawings with accurate measurements to some carpet fitters and ask them to advise me how much carpet I need and how much they will charge for fitting the carpet, to see if this will work out cheaper than the quotes I have received from the shops.i do think the shops are over estimating the amount of carpet I need as this is how they make extra profit.

£40 per square metre of plain carpet?

I am going to send the drawings with accurate measurements to some carpet …I am going to send the drawings with accurate measurements to some carpet fitters and ask them to advise me how much carpet I need and how much they will charge for fitting the carpet, to see if this will work out cheaper than the quotes I have received from the shops.i do think the shops are over estimating the amount of carpet I need as this is how they make extra profit.

41601298-BK2xy.jpg
cecilmcroberts06/08/2020 20:25

£40 per square metre of plain carpet?

it is expensive carpet. plain as in one colour and not patterned. the carpet costs £30 per sqm and the underday is £8 per sqm, so the carpet quantity is very important for the overall cost.
f3rritt06/08/2020 20:33

That's one expensive carpet!!!

Thought I was mad paying £29 including underlay for a Wilton in the living room last week lol.
mutley106/08/2020 20:33

it is expensive carpet. plain as in one colour and not patterned. the …it is expensive carpet. plain as in one colour and not patterned. the carpet costs £30 per sqm and the underday is £8 per sqm, so the carpet quantity is very important for the overall cost.

Sounds like one company are selling you the same amount of underlay as carpet?? Underlay normally comes 54" wide so unless a area is bang on the 4 or 5m wide you always need less underlay to carpet. So you have probably calculated based on this theory that's why you saying one shop is 30 and one in 35m2.
Post a comment
@
    Text