How much do gcse examiners get paid to mark coursework and exam papers?

Found 30th Oct 2011
Just wondering because I heard a rumour saying they only get paid £5 per paper.
Is it the same for coursework?
I'm doing some coursework on mao right now (feel free to help) and many people have written over the word limit by quite a considerable amount. Can examiners be bothered to mark it if lots of it is useless information?

inb4 corruption and bribery
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Only £5?! Most are multiple choices and probably only take 5 minutes each to mark. £5 a minute, I'd be in.
anewman

Only £5?! Most are multiple choices and probably only take 5 minutes each … Only £5?! Most are multiple choices and probably only take 5 minutes each to mark. £5 a minute, I'd be in.

gcse exam papers like maths and physics etc

anyone helpful around?
anewman

Only £5?! Most are multiple choices and probably only take 5 minutes each … Only £5?! Most are multiple choices and probably only take 5 minutes each to mark. £5 a minute, I'd be in.

Aren't multiple choice papers marked by computers? They just get fed into a machine. I guess there will be ones that will need to be checked if the line isn't within the correct space, but I don't think they are marked individually!
Edited by: "BargainHunter_" 30th Oct 2011
anewman

5 minutes to mark each doesn't equal £5 a minute!!! Let's hope you don't get maths papers to mark!!!!!
I think university ones get paid around £7 (or so i've heard) I'd assume its similar?
golemsmate

I think university ones get paid around £7 (or so i've heard) I'd assume … I think university ones get paid around £7 (or so i've heard) I'd assume its similar?

cheers for coursework?
In the time you've devoted to working out whether you could do your coursework badly and get away with it you could have just done it well
sancho1983

In the time you've devoted to working out whether you could do your … In the time you've devoted to working out whether you could do your coursework badly and get away with it you could have just done it well

no just wondering will markers want to mark 4000 words of irrelevant information or will it just peeve them off?

my coursework is A* standard mate
They mark according to a mark scheme. The scheme takes into account 1) knowledge, 2) understanding, 3) application, 4) analysis, 5) evaluation and 6) synthesis. The higher up you go the more marks you get. At GCSE you should be hitting 3 & 4. So if a lot of the word count is taken up by description then you're losing out marks. People do skim read also.
ps3fanboy35

no just wondering will markers want to mark 4000 words of irrelevant … no just wondering will markers want to mark 4000 words of irrelevant information or will it just peeve them off?my coursework is A* standard mate

If you are including "4000 words of irrelevant information" then I'm seriously doubting it is A* standard
sancho1983

If you are including "4000 words of irrelevant information" then I'm … If you are including "4000 words of irrelevant information" then I'm seriously doubting it is A* standard

i'm not my classmates are. I'm just wondering will they be better off and when I say irrelevant I mean they give too much description which they don't ask in the question
kaidee

They mark according to a mark scheme. The scheme takes into account 1) … They mark according to a mark scheme. The scheme takes into account 1) knowledge, 2) understanding, 3) application, 4) analysis, 5) evaluation and 6) synthesis. The higher up you go the more marks you get. At GCSE you should be hitting 3 & 4. So if a lot of the word count is taken up by description then you're losing out marks. People do skim read also.

thanks your an examiner?
i dont know if its subject specific, but my PE teacher told me theyd get about £1.35 a paper and there was a multiple choice and written. He never bothered as he said it wasnt worth it, this was only about 3/4 years ago
deadduck_145

i dont know if its subject specific, but my PE teacher told me theyd get … i dont know if its subject specific, but my PE teacher told me theyd get about £1.35 a paper and there was a multiple choice and written. He never bothered as he said it wasnt worth it, this was only about 3/4 years ago

wow, never thought it was that low
ps3fanboy35

thanks your an examiner?

Nah, teacher.
kaidee

Nah, teacher.

cool what subject?
secondary or primary?
Business, Secondary
kaidee

Business, Secondary

Business in secondary, is this new?
I believe it's closer to £1 a examination paper.
They mark well over a thousand papers - the 'initial' markers at least are very poorly paid.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 1st Nov 2011
DangerGod

Business in secondary, is this new?

Not particularly new. Business GCSE, also there are other course such as IFS Economic Well-being that Yr 9 do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants