how much do i need to spend?

11 replies
Found 2nd Aug 2010
I have been trying to decide what my best options are.
I want to rip my 200 dvd collection to some sort of server for playback. I intend to use makemkv for ripping.

I have an old pc pentium 4, 2.8 ghz processor at my disposal, with 80gb hard disk storage. The pc is not sata2 compatible. I have dabbled by connecting this pc to tv via vga, it does have dvi output but think its only 360p.

I'm guessing i need 4TB and RAID to ensure ripped dvd's are not lost forever, as i intend to sell on dvd collection.

Should i go nas / external usb hd?

I am open to any suggestion either using existing pc or not. It would be nice to be able to watch collection in other rooms.

I am willing to spend up to £450.

11 Comments

Rather illegal.

Do HUKD condone this?

virus

Rather illegal.Do HUKD condone this?

I wasn't aware this was illegal?

Why on earth would you consider it illegal?
nothing wrong with it at all as long as its for your own use.

karenhornby

Why on earth would you consider it illegal?nothing wrong with it at all … Why on earth would you consider it illegal?nothing wrong with it at all as long as its for your own use.

EU law prohibits the circumvention of digital copyright mechanisms.

Which means you are allowed an analogue copy via Scart/S-Video out, but not a digital one.

I believe that UK law doesn't even allow you to make an analogue copy.

I'm guessing i need 4TB and RAID to ensure ripped dvd's are not lost … I'm guessing i need 4TB and RAID to ensure ripped dvd's are not lost forever, as i intend to sell on dvd collection.

Now that is illegal regardless of where in the world you live.

Banned

you cant even make backups of your own films under UK law

You might aswell just illegally download them... this is no different...

The lines are blurred but as far as I remember you are allowed 1 copy of something you own as long as you dont get rid of the original or similar.

The issue comes in with the other law that says you cant bypass copy portection that being said not everything has copy proection.

Just like some people claim even using a dvd or video recorder to copy broadcasts is illegal

you cant even make backups of your own films under UK law

Correct - nor CDs.
Edited by: "virus" 2nd Aug 2010

Original Poster

Does anybody think i might get some on topic replies if i was to edit my original post and replace any mention of ripping dvd's with home movie collection.

Not really because we have already seen what you want to do.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person631
    2. Home CCTV system advice.22
    3. Christmas presents48
    4. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage44

See more discussions