How much do you earn a year and what is your job?

Found 6th May
Just wondering what everyone does and earns.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Do you work for the Inland Revenue & Customs?

If you do, may I suggest the 6th and 15th letter of the alphabet to you
Tube train driver, I don't work, only sick days and strike days tbh
40 Comments
Self employed electrician.

£11,000 a year 😝
Do you work for the Inland Revenue & Customs?

If you do, may I suggest the 6th and 15th letter of the alphabet to you
Landowner, I see little point in counting it.
Edited by: "Epicurean" 6th May
Self employed, enough
Check the HRMC database.
I earn more than I spend. I don't work and I'm not reliant on state handouts. Works for me
Software engineer and not enough
Firearms Officer and I earn pennies.
Air traffic controller and the right side of 6 figures.
retired now. last job in 2007 as a contract computer programmer (£112,000 per year)
Work for a clothes website :P

Don't get paid enough for what I have to put up with
Lab assistant £17,500 🔬 moving onto 22,500 and a student
zcgby033 m ago

Lab assistant £17,500 🔬 moving onto 22,500 and a student

That's what I trained all those year to be and the starting wages were terrible, so stuck with what I'd been doing part time (retail). Project Manager £41000.
MIDURIX7 m ago

That's what I trained all those year to be and the starting wages were …That's what I trained all those year to be and the starting wages were terrible, so stuck with what I'd been doing part time (retail). Project Manager £41000.

I won’t be sticking around for long in labs the way they are going, I’ll find something worth the salary like you
zcgby037 m ago

I won’t be sticking around for long in labs the way they are going, I’ll fi …I won’t be sticking around for long in labs the way they are going, I’ll find something worth the salary like you

Where I live there are a large number of companies in that sector, but all jobs pretty much need a degree and they start at about £18-20k Compare that to retail where realistically any old bugger can get a managers job in a small shop and you'd easily get that and more.
Lab technician and only 21k before overtime not enough 😪
Tube train driver, I don't work, only sick days and strike days tbh
IT consultant. I pay more in tax than Amazon and Facebook combined.
Two jobs- cleaner and housekeeper/kitchen domestic. Get paid £10,000 p/y for 24-28 hours p/w. Still living at home, but it’s minimum wage life.
chocci4 h, 31 m ago

retired now. last job in 2007 as a contract computer programmer (£112,000 …retired now. last job in 2007 as a contract computer programmer (£112,000 per year)

You're probably a similar age to me but did you blag your way into your job? Not knocking you, I taught my teacher BASIC back in the day and she was meant to teach me. I'm just regretting I never took a different career path when you mention the numbers I know several stories of software developers blagging their jobs, it was the wild west in the day.

What chances would a 50 year old developer now have to getting a job in the field? And more likely what realistic money could I make as a self developer in the Android market?

Just curious, I'm getting no younger and a manual worker on a fraction of your wage but I love coding and I can make apps that work (plus I'm bursting with ideas.)
Edited by: "GlentoranMark" 6th May
I'm self employed tradesman. I know sub contractors on £100 a day and I think that's poor.
Retail store manager, well above the average in my field but still not enough. I do regularly ask my area manager for a £35k/hr pay rise, he has laughed but not declined
I think I’m a Doctor because my bank statement seems to constantly say DR
GlentoranMark1 h, 33 m ago

You're probably a similar age to me but did you blag your way into your …You're probably a similar age to me but did you blag your way into your job? Not knocking you, I taught my teacher BASIC back in the day and she was meant to teach me. I'm just regretting I never took a different career path when you mention the numbers I know several stories of software developers blagging their jobs, it was the wild west in the day.What chances would a 50 year old developer now have to getting a job in the field? And more likely what realistic money could I make as a self developer in the Android market?Just curious, I'm getting no younger and a manual worker on a fraction of your wage but I love coding and I can make apps that work (plus I'm bursting with ideas.)

I had a btec ond in computer science and there was a massive shortage of cobol programmers in the late eighties so very easy to get a well paid job. Dried up after the millennium bug fixes but made my dough so retired at 40. Very boring job though

Best get one of your ideas into an application and stick it on the play store. Good luck!
deleted1315437
ch7leach34 m ago

Retail store manager, well above the average in my field but still not …Retail store manager, well above the average in my field but still not enough. I do regularly ask my area manager for a £35k/hr pay rise, he has laughed but not declined

Some people are never happy
chocci21 m ago

I had a btec ond in computer science and there was a massive shortage of …I had a btec ond in computer science and there was a massive shortage of cobol programmers in the late eighties so very easy to get a well paid job. Dried up after the millennium bug fixes but made my dough so retired at 40. Very boring job though ;)Best get one of your ideas into an application and stick it on the play store. Good luck!

I went to secondary school and at the time it was imperative I got a trade. I served my time in the shipyard that they built the Titanic, that went down well Hindsight is easy but I'm willing to change at 50 so I've taught myself to code again.

I've one unpaid app but that was to understand the steps to understand the Play Store more than anything. Have an idea to sub that app and make it universal.

I'm bursting with ideas! Have a cleaners app well in development but full of things I need to fix but when I get stuck I work on things like location and bluetooth then move back to where I'm stuck.

I'm sure the Cobol market is dying (not literally!) but there must be opening for that language? Some systems must still use the language?
I sell milkshake from my yard, mostly to boys. I make a fair bit from the trade but mostly from the tuition I give in the marketing side of the business. I’d say maybe 7 groats per annum in a good year
I want to know what OP does and earns.
HUKD poster for free
GlentoranMark5 h, 22 m ago

I went to secondary school and at the time it was imperative I got a …I went to secondary school and at the time it was imperative I got a trade. I served my time in the shipyard that they built the Titanic, that went down well Hindsight is easy but I'm willing to change at 50 so I've taught myself to code again.I've one unpaid app but that was to understand the steps to understand the Play Store more than anything. Have an idea to sub that app and make it universal. I'm bursting with ideas! Have a cleaners app well in development but full of things I need to fix but when I get stuck I work on things like location and bluetooth then move back to where I'm stuck.I'm sure the Cobol market is dying (not literally!) but there must be opening for that language? Some systems must still use the language?

Am loving your enthusiasm. I know nothing about your chosen subject but I love your mindset. Good luck!
GlentoranMark8 h, 30 m ago

I went to secondary school and at the time it was imperative I got a …I went to secondary school and at the time it was imperative I got a trade. I served my time in the shipyard that they built the Titanic, that went down well Hindsight is easy but I'm willing to change at 50 so I've taught myself to code again.I've one unpaid app but that was to understand the steps to understand the Play Store more than anything. Have an idea to sub that app and make it universal. I'm bursting with ideas! Have a cleaners app well in development but full of things I need to fix but when I get stuck I work on things like location and bluetooth then move back to where I'm stuck.I'm sure the Cobol market is dying (not literally!) but there must be opening for that language? Some systems must still use the language?

There probably are cobol jobs out there but with so many 'retired' programmers out there, I would expect the salary to be relatively low. I'm quite happy being retired anyway, especially on sunny days
Boat driver and upwards of £700,000 on bank holidays
I work as little as possible for the highest wage I can get. I won’t take a new job if i need to work harder for the money. Life to short to worry About working way to top. I pretty much buy what I want and always have money for a night out or two
deleted1315437
Bargainhead12 m ago

I work as little as possible for the highest wage I can get. I won’t take a …I work as little as possible for the highest wage I can get. I won’t take a new job if i need to work harder for the money. Life to short to worry About working way to top. I pretty much buy what I want and always have money for a night out or two

Truer words have never been spoken.
psychobitchfromhell16 h, 39 m ago

Am loving your enthusiasm. I know nothing about your chosen subject but I …Am loving your enthusiasm. I know nothing about your chosen subject but I love your mindset. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words and although reading back on my posts it sounds like I was phishing, I know it's a field for young brains. I like to pick the brains of experts who have already made it in their field like @chocci so it probably was phishing. I was curious rather than looking to become a Cobol programmer. If you don't ask you'll never know.

I was wondering whether Chocci blagged his way into a job. Back in the day anyone could have been an expert by just programming a ZX81, hindsight is easy though Nowadays a youngster won't be considered with out a degree in the subject, I think that's where my advantages are because I've business sense and bursting with ideas. I don't need a degree.

I've a few ideas that would work nicely on a mobile platform like my cleaning app so I've spent the last few years learning Android. I must admit it hasn't been easy but I now geddit. I can create anything when I put my mind to it. As I say, when I get stuck I move elsewhere, take a break from my problem, and come back anew.

I love education. I listen to podcasts most days and have many hobbies and things I love, I love learning new things. My son is doing a computer science degree but plays games most nights. I whinge at him to create the games, not play them but some day he'll realise

Thanks for the responses.
GlentoranMark13 m ago

Thank you for the kind words and although reading back on my posts it …Thank you for the kind words and although reading back on my posts it sounds like I was phishing, I know it's a field for young brains. I like to pick the brains of experts who have already made it in their field like @chocci so it probably was phishing. I was curious rather than looking to become a Cobol programmer. If you don't ask you'll never know. I was wondering whether Chocci blagged his way into a job. Back in the day anyone could have been an expert by just programming a ZX81, hindsight is easy though Nowadays a youngster won't be considered with out a degree in the subject, I think that's where my advantages are because I've business sense and bursting with ideas. I don't need a degree.I've a few ideas that would work nicely on a mobile platform like my cleaning app so I've spent the last few years learning Android. I must admit it hasn't been easy but I now geddit. I can create anything when I put my mind to it. As I say, when I get stuck I move elsewhere, take a break from my problem, and come back anew.I love education. I listen to podcasts most days and have many hobbies and things I love, I love learning new things. My son is doing a computer science degree but plays games most nights. I whinge at him to create the games, not play them but some day he'll realise Thanks for the responses.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours. It sounds like you deserve it. I know nothing about computers but that is because they don't interest me. If something does interest me though, I grab it with both hands and run with it. A few weeks ago I broke my ankle very badly and couldn't walk for ages. Rather than go mad or watch Jeremy kyle, I decided to learn how to sew. I've never been good at it and in all honesty I'm still not great but the point is you grab life and make that absolute most out of it. As for your son, life is wasted on the young. They'll get that when they reach 40
psychobitchfromhell13 m ago

I wish you all the best in your endeavours. It sounds like you deserve it. …I wish you all the best in your endeavours. It sounds like you deserve it. I know nothing about computers but that is because they don't interest me. If something does interest me though, I grab it with both hands and run with it. A few weeks ago I broke my ankle very badly and couldn't walk for ages. Rather than go mad or watch Jeremy kyle, I decided to learn how to sew. I've never been good at it and in all honesty I'm still not great but the point is you grab life and make that absolute most out of it. As for your son, life is wasted on the young. They'll get that when they reach 40

I must admit it's easier than ever to learn something new with Youtube and Online Courses. I tried maybe 10 years ago to learn the C language (it's a programming language) via books and just didn't geddit. Had several attempts at it as well. It was only through the introduction of online (free) courses did I learn.

Sorry for you ankle break but as you say it learned you to sew. Rather than watch Jeremy Kyle, why not switch off the TV and concentrate on something else that interests you. Jeremy Kyle will still be on I-Player if you choose but you might also develope a skill that may benefit you.

Probably took me to 40 also
GlentoranMark9 m ago

I must admit it's easier than ever to learn something new with Youtube and …I must admit it's easier than ever to learn something new with Youtube and Online Courses. I tried maybe 10 years ago to learn the C language (it's a programming language) via books and just didn't geddit. Had several attempts at it as well. It was only through the introduction of online (free) courses did I learn.Sorry for you ankle break but as you say it learned you to sew. Rather than watch Jeremy Kyle, why not switch off the TV and concentrate on something else that interests you. Jeremy Kyle will still be on I-Player if you choose but you might also develope a skill that may benefit you.Probably took me to 40 also

Life deals you lemons, make lemonade as they say. I'm a firm believer you can do just about anything if you put your mind to it. Either that or I'm too tight to pay someone to do it for me. Life is a glass half full of a glass half empty. Mine is half full.
From the the book:

Which type of questions not to ask during a first date!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants