Expired

How much do you pay for your car insurance?

Found 13th Mar 2012
I'm a new driver and just looking into car insurances.
My cheapest is 3600 for a year with a 250 voluntary excess,

or 1400 a year with a compulsory of £3,000

Should I go for the cheaper one?
So in case somebody hits me and its his fault I would still have to pay 3000?

Would like to hear your prices, how much is your voluntary?

Thanks for your help!
Community Updates
32 Comments
£400 BMW 318 no voluntary. I am 29 though.

It's worth shopping around money supermarket and other search sites the best you can. Make sure each are comparable too, ie offer the same extras like legal cover. It's not easy at your age unfortunately.
my boy went with co op young drivers insurance his was just over 2000, 500 compulsary but he had the little black fitted
You would only pay the £3000 if your insurance company has to pay up. Either to you or third party.
Could you afford to pay 3k if you crashed the day after you took the insurance? If no stay clear or you will be stuffed trying to get that money.
I'm 22 and my insurance on a 1.4 polo is £700 with 250 excess with elephant
Mine was £180 after quidco. Focus cmax fully comp
Op, what is the car you are trying to insure? As it may be better to get a low insurance group one for a couple of years.
I'm 25 and in my first year of driving. On a 1.2 Corsa my insurance was £2400.... Grim
£750 BMW M5. Excess would have been £500 but took out an insurance policy for £40 which will pay the excess if I need to claim.
£450 with £100 excess, fully comp + business
ifrazalam

You would only pay the £3000 if your insurance company has to pay up. … You would only pay the £3000 if your insurance company has to pay up. Either to you or third party.

So I don't have to pay it if its not my fault? Is this correct?
oddballjamie

Op, what is the car you are trying to insure? As it may be better to get … Op, what is the car you are trying to insure? As it may be better to get a low insurance group one for a couple of years.

I have an Golf, I tried to buy a Polo, but didn't find a nice one.

What model Golf? size of the engine? insurance take into factors such as where you live etc. Are you looking to go fully comp or third party, fire and theft?

or 1400 a year with a compulsory of £3,000

Well it could make you drive more carefully knowing if you cause an accident you'd have to fork out 3k
chester123

£750 BMW M5. Excess would have been £500 but took out an insurance policy … £750 BMW M5. Excess would have been £500 but took out an insurance policy for £40 which will pay the excess if I need to claim.

You have insurance for your insurance?

http://yoyodawgdawg.com/pics/yo-dawg-the-original.jpg
£250 on 1.2 Clio and £275 on 1.6 Honda Civic. £100 excess on each.
I'd try elephant, looks the they have shocking reviews, for a 20 yr old with 0 no claims they are quoting £700 with my parents as named drivers. If you go on my profile you'll see my thread

So I don't have to pay it if its not my fault? Is this correct?

Not exactly. You wouldn't have to pay if your insurance company could recover the money from someone else.

For example, if your car was involved in a hit and run and it cost £3,000 to repair, you'd have to pay the £3,000 unless the insurance company could trace whoever hit your car and recover the money from them.

Just as an aside, asking how much others pay for their insurance is a fairly pointless exercise. A 45 year old civil servant living in rural Hampshire driving an elderly Corsa could well pay little over £100 a year whereas a 17 year old student living in Central London driving a new BMW M3 could be paying £100,000. It all depends what you do, where you live and what you drive.
you'd be mad to pay £3600 vs £1400

difference is £2200 so keep that in a bank in case you have to pay out the £3000 excess = total outlay of £4400 if you have an accident that is your fault

or pay £3600 and have to pay out £250 = total outlay of £3850

I would defo keep the £2200 and take the risk. Its basically risking £550 to possibly gain £2200

Thanks for your comment, it was very helpful and made me understand the excess part.
I just wanted to hear out of interests what other pay, as well maybe get some advice from other newbies.

RonChew

Not exactly. You wouldn't have to pay if your insurance company could … Not exactly. You wouldn't have to pay if your insurance company could recover the money from someone else. For example, if your car was involved in a hit and run and it cost £3,000 to repair, you'd have to pay the £3,000 unless the insurance company could trace whoever hit your car and recover the money from them.Just as an aside, asking how much others pay for their insurance is a fairly pointless exercise. A 45 year old civil servant living in rural Hampshire driving an elderly Corsa could well pay little over £100 a year whereas a 17 year old student living in Central London driving a new BMW M3 could be paying £100,000. It all depends what you do, where you live and what you drive.

Have you tried adding named drivers to your policy?

My son added his mum as a named driver, and the quote went from £1345 to £948.

Thanks for your input, you made me realize that is maybe a better idea to go for the cheaper option
It's just the 3000 made me a bit nervous. But what you said make perfect sense.

csiman

you'd be mad to pay £3600 vs £1400difference is £2200 so keep that in a ba … you'd be mad to pay £3600 vs £1400difference is £2200 so keep that in a bank in case you have to pay out the £3000 excess = total outlay of £4400 if you have an accident that is your faultor pay £3600 and have to pay out £250 = total outlay of £3850I would defo keep the £2200 and take the risk. Its basically risking £550 to possibly gain £2200

I paid around £455 with Admiral on a Yaris.

Went up almost £100 from last year, would have been more if I hadn't went straight on the phone and talked them down by £50.
£415 paying monthly or £375 with quidco. I got a conviction in 2008 when i got shafted with insurance
Paying £240 with aviva for my Saxo VTR 1.6i (or my go kart as i like to call it)

Im 29 now mind with over 10 years no claims.
Cheapest for me is with Swift Cover, 30 YO on a group 9, £1100! - Lost my NCB due to an accident a little over a year ago.

What model/ engine size is it? Just getting an idea of insurance group.
I miss my Xsara VTR even though I was paying £1600 on insurance for it when I was 21.
No points and claims, all fully comp:

Vauxhall Zafira - £310 (with Class 1 business use)
Vauxhall Monaro (modifications declared) - £480
Motorhome - £230

Excesses are around £150 on each

Sometimes being an old git has it's advantages
Edited by: "gizmouk" 13th Mar 2012
I have a 2003 Corsa and Im with Bell (Apart of the admiral/elephant/diamond group).

Im 26, and pay £600 with no excess.
djmalone1985

I have a 2003 Corsa and Im with Bell (Apart of the … I have a 2003 Corsa and Im with Bell (Apart of the admiral/elephant/diamond group).Im 26, and pay £600 with no excess.

Even though you have no excess, they don't pay out. Look at the reviews
I pay £168-00 with RIAS and thats to expensive
Tesco ins - £500 with £250 excess
joint policy me n the wife with 12 years NCD
£895 Focus ST £300 excess 27 years old.
It was £ 495 using the multicar service from admiral (alas cant keep my parents address any longer).

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions