Expired

how much does a tree surgeon cost?

22 replies
Found 29th Sep 2009
I've had a letter from the council telling me that the tree in my front garden are leaning over the road too much, and they need to be trimmed, as they are too low for buses and lorries that pass!

How much would it cost to get a tree surgeon to do this? and would the council help me do it if I can prove that I can't pay for it?

22 Comments

tree fiddy

Alfonse;6428191

tree fiddy

damn

Starr;6428193

damn

:oops:

Depends on how much needs removing, how thick the branches are (ie time effecting factors) and whether they would need permission to temporarily close the section of road for safety (their own and publics).

I'm surprised it needs trimming though if buses/lorries regularly travel past as the usually keep it trimmed through passing contact.

Original Poster

harlzter;6428228

Depends on how much needs removing, how thick the branches are (ie time … Depends on how much needs removing, how thick the branches are (ie time effecting factors) and whether they would need permission to temporarily close the section of road for safety (their own and publics).I'm surprised it needs trimming though if buses/lorries regularly travel past as the usually keep it trimmed through passing contact.

thats what I thought

according to the council engineer I just spoke to now, the roads do need to be temporarily closed, he couldn't tell me about the cost although he said he will drop me a list of local contractors who the council deal with

Is this likely to cost more than £200? just my luck that this has happened on the same weekend that my TV decided to die on me :-(

Depends what area of the country your in. And whether you get a cowboy or not?

Not cheap though my step dads a tree surgeon, totally depends on the size of tree.

I take it that its not a council property you live in then? as they would be responsible for cutting it back if it were.
Ring a few tree surgeons for quotes, they range in price or even ring your local council and ask for recommendations from their own tree surgeon. You never know they might offer to do it at a reduced price

Banned

cost us £800 for an old dead tree to be removed

Original Poster

casparwhite;6428427

cost us £800 for an old dead tree to be removed

:cry:
god I hope not!

If it cost that much I'll just cut it myself

Banned

hassony;6428560

:cry:god I hope not!If it cost that much I'll just cut it myself

wont be that much that was to have a whole tree removed and sawn up and taken away

i thought the council had teams that do this kind of thing for the roads........must be the cut backs

i'd just chop some down myself...lol

We had some tree work done recently - it was about £800 or £900 for a large tree to be chopped. Its also going to cost about £600 to get another one trimmed but that includes costs of planning permission (tree is protected) and tree surgeons report plus another £150 - £200 on "traffic management". A lot of money for a couple of blokes with a stop/go sign..............

Original Poster

superskilly;6428617

i'd just chop some down myself...lol

I might wait until bonfaire night and "accidently" burn it down

god i wnat five conifer (massive trees) removed think ill forget it then.

wow... Thats fair...

Not.

even some minor shaping / dead wood removal on my oak tree (big) cost around £300

Shouldnt they pay some of the cost? seems unfair that their making you pay for it all...

Can you not just refuse due to financial reasons?

Original Poster

dean3988;6429787

Shouldnt they pay some of the cost? seems unfair that their making you … Shouldnt they pay some of the cost? seems unfair that their making you pay for it all...Can you not just refuse due to financial reasons?

I'll get a couple of quote first and than I will try that, won't be holding my breath though

hassony;6430027

I'll get a couple of quote first and than I will try that, won't be … I'll get a couple of quote first and than I will try that, won't be holding my breath though

Surely they cant do it though! if its affecting their roads... then they should sort it out...

Either that or get up there with a ladder and chainsaw and do it yourself

We had similar work done really cheaply (£50), by asking friends if they knew anyone who could do it on the cheap. Eventually a friend of a friend of a friend pitched up, did the work to a high standard & tootled off again. Turns out he was on another job nearby & fitted us in to his 'tea break' so he could make a bit of extra money.

May be worthwhile if you ask about as well?

Would this not be the same as when your garden bushes / tree's hang over the garden over next door? as they can cut it and you dont have to as long as they give you the bits they cut back.
So prehaps you should say you can do it just make sure you leave me the brances lol

Original Poster

cis_groupie;6430601

We had similar work done really cheaply (£50), by asking friends if they … We had similar work done really cheaply (£50), by asking friends if they knew anyone who could do it on the cheap. Eventually a friend of a friend of a friend pitched up, did the work to a high standard & tootled off again. Turns out he was on another job nearby & fitted us in to his 'tea break' so he could make a bit of extra money. May be worthwhile if you ask about as well?

good idea, I'll try that, thanks

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Barclays app ATM withdrawal11
  2. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return23
  3. Credit Card Debt Question...811
  4. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?44

See more discussions