How much does it cost to make a will in Scotland?

Posted 25th Mar
Hi
My grans in Scotland and wants to get a simple will done for herself. Anyone know how much it costs in Scotland for a simple will at the solicitors?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Look on Scottish citizens advice website
Google but some can be done free if it is simple.. they may ask for a specific charity donation..

but solicitor cost vary and though you think it simple she might have more in her estate than you know.
She just owns a house for which she wants to nominate her son . That's it.
She was quoted £180 by one agency and I felt it was a bit much!
jfowler25/03/2020 12:57

She just owns a house for which she wants to nominate her son . That's …She just owns a house for which she wants to nominate her son . That's it.She was quoted £180 by one agency and I felt it was a bit much!

To be honest that's a normal sort of fee for Scotland
Check the will aid and will relief Scotland

She just owns a house for which she wants to nominate her son . That's …She just owns a house for which she wants to nominate her son . That's it.She was quoted £180 by one agency and I felt it was a bit much!

Depending on the value of the house, I’m not asking, it could be a lot more than that. Depending on all the arrangements that are required to limit inheritance tax and other eventualities.
Additionally, it would be worth considering power of attorney arrangements.

I’m not a lawyer in any shape or form. We did recently get a reciprocal wills and power of attorney drawn up for each of us. Things we felt were prudent for our own situation.

She could do it now so theyll be no stupid inheritance tax or something like that
Of course than she'll have to trust her son enough to not kick her out and rent it out or sell it, if someone would do that they dont wont be getting anything from anyone
Edited by: "Norseg" 25th Mar
I think WHSmith sell will kits for about £30.
Use a Solicitor you have no protection with DIY wills .
I see no reason to use an agency .

My parents paid £95 in total to change both their wills about 4 or 5 years ago but they have been with the solicitor for over 40 years.

If she does not have the cash to pay now.
Search free wills month Scotland and look for a charity you would be happy to donate to who offers to pay for the service through their chosen solicitor.
You then would be expected to make a donation to them from the estate at a later date she could write this in to the will.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants