How much does it cost to repair a cracked windscreen?

Found 29th Sep 2015
What is the cost by not going through insurance and who would you recommend, AA, Autoglass etc?

Thanks

20 Comments

It's usually between £75-£125 if you go through your insurance. I don't know why you wouldn't, as it doesn't affect no claims...

Got mine fixed by Autoglass - no complaints
Edited by: "Mermoo" 29th Sep 2015

It only costs your excess if you replace the windscreen, a repair is normally free - so depends how bad it is.

Original Poster

Mermoo

It's usually between £75-£125 if you go through your insurance. I don't k … It's usually between £75-£125 if you go through your insurance. I don't know why you wouldn't, as it doesn't affect no claims...Got mine fixed by Autoglass - no complaints

I'm with admiral and they charge £25 excess. I'm just worried that although it will not affect my No Claims, it will lead to an premium increase come renewal time.

bumbaclart

I'm with admiral and they charge £25 excess. I'm just worried that … I'm with admiral and they charge £25 excess. I'm just worried that although it will not affect my No Claims, it will lead to an premium increase come renewal time.

It shouldn't have any effect - mine didn't. It certainly won't put it up £100+ (which I assume that the actual cost would be).

I'd recommend that you call your insurance and ask the question before you commit.
Edited by: "Mermoo" 29th Sep 2015

Repair cost £10 through insurance with Autoglass last week. Not affecting no claims.

bumbaclart

I'm with admiral and they charge £25 excess. I'm just worried that … I'm with admiral and they charge £25 excess. I'm just worried that although it will not affect my No Claims, it will lead to an premium increase come renewal time.

Sorry, just reread this and realise it's for a repair, not a replacement. You don't even have to contact your insurance, you can just go through the recommended repairer.

I had a window chip on a previous insurance company and charged 25 quid I believe it was admiral. I then moved to sheilas wheels and didn't think anything of the claim. They rang me up saying I didn't tell them about the claim but I explained all it was, was a window chip. And they just said ok that's fine. No price change

Had a repair and a replacement screen in the last 12 months, renewed my car insurance last Friday and told them about both but they said they don't care about screen claims!

I thought about the same thing - then discovered my windscreen was about £800 so used insurance which was only £75 and did not affect ncd.

£800 for a windscreen oO

Bradleigh

£800 for a windscreen oO

im guessing a ford heated one

with swift cover you are asked about previous claims and it specifically says NOT to include windscreen replacements, so I'd go through your insurance as it won't affect your no claims discount.

Same with my Mazda 6 windscreen - not heated Just a £50 excess

mrwhitelabel

im guessing a ford heated one

Edited by: "Splodger101" 30th Sep 2015

I had mine replaced via insurance ( £75 excess ), I thought my premium might of gone up at renewal but it didn't :).

I had mine done via Autoglass, They took care of it all, Pretty straight forward.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 30th Sep 2015

Funny that because when I phoned Swift they told me if I claimed for my windscreen it would be classed on their system as a non-fault claim! So I paid £130 for a new windscreen myself. Sounds like I just spoke to a muppet then! Fab, cheers Swift.

momartin

Funny that because when I phoned Swift they told me if I claimed for my … Funny that because when I phoned Swift they told me if I claimed for my windscreen it would be classed on their system as a non-fault claim! So I paid £130 for a new windscreen myself. Sounds like I just spoke to a muppet then! Fab, cheers Swift.

its a strange one window cover, most say it doesn't count as a claim however when you come to renew, it is classed, even on your renewal notice, as a claim and you have to disclose it. Some insurance companies will hike up you premiums others don't, best way to check is to do a couple of quotes one with and one without and see when you come to renew.

Windscreens cost vary, got one replace for less than a £100 but do go to hundreds. Excess can also vary so make sure you check. if you have a chip get a £7 repair kit from Asda, Halfords or Amazon and do it yourself. uses the same stuff and its really straight forward plus you have enough left if you get another chip.

Edited by: "eslick" 30th Sep 2015

eslick

its a strange one window cover, most say it doesn't count as a claim … its a strange one window cover, most say it doesn't count as a claim however when you come to renew, it is classed, even on your renewal notice, as a claim and you have to disclose it. Some insurance companies will hike up you premiums others don't, best way to check is to do a couple of quotes one with and one without and see when you come to renew.Windscreens cost vary, got one replace for less than a £100 but do go to hundreds. Excess can also vary so make sure you check. if you have a chip get a £7 repair kit from Asda, Halfords or Amazon and do it yourself. uses the same stuff and its really straight forward plus you have enough left if you get another chip.

I'm yet to see a proper repair using one of those DIY kits. A lot of the trade can't repair to a good standard, so you are up against it with one of those kits. Different types of damage require different techniques to manipulate the break. The kits don't even recommend going through a drying out process...

glasstec_paul

I'm yet to see a proper repair using one of those DIY kits. A lot of the … I'm yet to see a proper repair using one of those DIY kits. A lot of the trade can't repair to a good standard, so you are up against it with one of those kits. Different types of damage require different techniques to manipulate the break. The kits don't even recommend going through a drying out process...

The holts version has comprehensive instructions including drying.

eslick

The holts version has comprehensive instructions including drying.

Just been on the Holts website but can't find a windscreen repair product; got a link?

glasstec_paul

Just been on the Holts website but can't find a windscreen repair … Just been on the Holts website but can't find a windscreen repair product; got a link?

Sorry it's rain X version, thought I saw the holts version in asda the other day. For some reason my previous post didn't add everything I typed. First saw this in the US, it comes with full instructions including when not to repair and when we had someone out years ago to fix a chip the only difference between this kit and what they did was the cage they used was all in one. The chemical from what I found was the same. Did ours on a warm day and the curing worked a treat, can't see the repair at all. But you must make sure you fill the chip correctly or you might as well not bother but that would be the same as the windscreen guys.

halfords.com/mot…kit
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants