How much does it cost to send a game in the post?

Found 4th Mar 2015
How much does it cost? I just sold a game via ebay and need to work out postage fees.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Measure it and match to below

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-size-and-weight-formats

Then match to this

http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2014

My guess is large letter price so £2.03 / £2.34 for 1st class recorded (which you should send it if they paid paypal)

Here is the pdf guide

royalmail.com/sit…hed
Cheers guys!
Backriver000

How much does it cost? I just sold a game via ebay and need to work … How much does it cost? I just sold a game via ebay and need to work out postage fees.

What format of game? If we're talking about a standard-sized DVD or blu-ray case in a Jiffy Bag, that would typically work out as being a 'large letter' weighing 101-250g - £1.24 1st Class/£1.17 2nd Class.

Add £1.10 for a 'Signed For' service, though so long as you get a proof of postage you shouldn't need to use that.

royalmail.com/pri…der
Illusionary

What format of game? If we're talking about a standard-sized DVD or blu-ray case in a Jiffy Bag, that would typically work out as being a 'large letter' weighing 101-250g - £1.24 1st Class/£1.17 2nd Class.Add £1.10 for a 'Signed For' service, though so long as you get a proof of postage you shouldn't need to use that.http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

It's a PS4 game.
Backriver000

It's a PS4 game. 

In that case, my pricing above ought to apply in most instances.
Illusionary

In that case, my pricing above ought to apply in most instances.

I hope so. Costs so much to sell on ebay....Sold destiny on there for 19 and I'd only make 15 off that 19 lol...Bought the Destiny limited edition va GAME for 28, so god damn hotdeals for these tempting deals lol
Backriver000

It's a PS4 game. 

Yeah £1.24 large letter
I send 1st class recorded and it's £2.03 in a standard padded envelope
RabLewandowski

I send 1st class recorded and it's £2.03 in a standard padded envelope

I'm not gonna send recorded...Can't afford to lol. I keep proof of postage anyway.
RabLewandowski

I send 1st class recorded and it's £2.03 in a standard padded envelope

You're relying there on the game being no more than 100g once packaged up - in my experience they're usually slightly more than that.

I hope so. Costs so much to sell on ebay....Sold destiny on there for 19 … I hope so. Costs so much to sell on ebay....Sold destiny on there for 19 and I'd only make 15 off that 19 lol...Bought the Destiny limited edition va GAME for 28, so god damn hotdeals for these tempting deals lol

EBay have actually just announced a price rise, it will soon be 12% rather than 10% to sell and those that offer a premium service will have the discounts on their final value fees cut from 15% to 10%, in real terms this means businesses that sell on there will see a overall rise of about 6% in costs.
Unfortunately this will mean a lot of 'real' shops on there will either have to operate at a loss or close their eBay store. EBay just got too greedy.
Backriver000

I'm not gonna send recorded...Can't afford to lol. I keep proof of … I'm not gonna send recorded...Can't afford to lol. I keep proof of postage anyway.

dangerous that, the person could say they never received it ebay would refund them and you would just get the cost of postage back from royal mail, always send ebay items recorded as a minimum
2 first class stamps 1.24 1st class large letter.
thicknesses below 25mm
srp111

dangerous that, the person could say they never received it ebay would refund them and you would just get the cost of postage back from royal mail, always send ebay items recorded as a minimum 

Not so - you can claim for loss so long as you have proof of postage.
Sent a ps4 game off couple of days ago. Cost me £1.24 first class
Illusionary

Not so - you can claim for loss so long as you have proof of postage.

I wouldnt.
Fully_Legit

EBay have actually just announced a price rise, it will soon be 12% … EBay have actually just announced a price rise, it will soon be 12% rather than 10% to sell and those that offer a premium service will have the discounts on their final value fees cut from 15% to 10%, in real terms this means businesses that sell on there will see a overall rise of about 6% in costs.Unfortunately this will mean a lot of 'real' shops on there will either have to operate at a loss or close their eBay store. EBay just got too greedy.

Do you have a link to this info? As it still says 10% on their website.
srp111

I wouldnt.

Why not? It doesn't cost anything, you just have to ask when posting.
Backriver000

I'm not gonna send recorded...Can't afford to lol. I keep proof of … I'm not gonna send recorded...Can't afford to lol. I keep proof of postage anyway.

Good luck with that. From experience, 1/20 eBayers will claim the item is not received and get an automatic refund from eBay. Also Royal Mail often refuse to pay out and just issue 6x stamps as compensation.

eBay do not accept proof of postage as being valid, nor do PayPal. You need proof of receipt.

I always send items worth over £5 recorded delivery now.
Edited by: "joshp" 6th Mar 2015
joshp

Good luck with that. From experience, 1/20 eBayers will claim the item is … Good luck with that. From experience, 1/20 eBayers will claim the item is not received and get an automatic refund from eBay. Also Royal Mail often refuse to pay out and just issue 6x stamps as compensation. eBay do not accept proof of postage as being valid, nor do PayPal. You need proof of receipt. I always send items worth over £5 recorded delivery now.

I've never had any problems with eBay buyers claiming non-receipt, personally, though you may well be a more active seller than me. Agreed that proof of postage isn't any help with eBay/PayPal disputes, but I can't see how Royal Mail justify not considering claims for loss? Presumably the eBay listing would provide proof of value to support the claim.

Edited by: "Illusionary" 6th Mar 2015
Illusionary

I've never had any problems with eBay buyers claiming non-receipt, … I've never had any problems with eBay buyers claiming non-receipt, personally, though you may well be a more active seller than me. Agreed that proof of postage isn't any help with eBay/PayPal disputes, but I can't see how Royal Mail justify not considering claims for loss? Presumably the eBay listing would provide proof of value to support the claim.

To be honest it is probably slightly less than that amount however I'm very active on eBay and it also may be the type of items that I sell.

Unfortunately Royal Mail do seem to think that's fine, trust me. I've had to 'attempt# to claim quite a few times as I send many items.
Transformers

Do you have a link to this info? As it still says 10% on their website.

Hi, I just checked EBay and its in very small print (strangely enough!) on the announcement page as usual, looks like it will only affect business sellers from 2nd of April, which is a joke as business sellers are the ones that profit less on eBay as they are buying products in with a set profit margin, unlike private sellers who are usually just clearing stuff out and don't mind too much as long as they get a fair price. I'm sure knowing eBay it wont be long before they roll it out to all sellers.

Here's the link www2.ebay.com/aw/…tml
Fully_Legit

Hi, I just checked EBay and its in very small print (strangely enough!) … Hi, I just checked EBay and its in very small print (strangely enough!) on the announcement page as usual, looks like it will only affect business sellers from 2nd of April, which is a joke as business sellers are the ones that profit less on eBay as they are buying products in with a set profit margin, unlike private sellers who are usually just clearing stuff out and don't mind too much as long as they get a fair price. I'm sure knowing eBay it wont be long before they roll it out to all sellers.Here's the link http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201503.shtml#2015-03-02104849

Thanks Fully_Legit. Just read it, not great news tbh.
i thought royal mail changed large letters because it had to bend rather than be rigid?
I sent an xbox one game with a stamp made for letters. Is that ok?
RAHMAN21

I sent an xbox one game with a stamp made for letters. Is that ok?

Assuming that it's fully boxed, it will exceed the 5mm maximum thickness for "letter" size, making it at least a "large letter". The recipient may be charged an additional amount, plus an admin fee.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89/~/size-and-weight-formats-for-uk-mail
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants