How much electric and gas do you use?

Found 30th Jan
3 Bedroom house, 3 People, lots of tv's and gadgets, using 12,000 KWH a year, and 15,500KWH a year of gas,

what about you peeps, this cost about 2400£/ 200£ month
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
46 Comments
3 bed, 3 recp rooms, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, utility room. 3 adults, dog, and we pay around £1300 p/a.
mod
3 bed only 2 of us total for gas / electric £56 p/m
I've a four bed and I pay about £100 a month
3 bedroom semi 4 adults, i work shifts so at home 6 days out of 8 so the house is never empty during the days , lights are always left on i do go round and turn them off tho, use the tumble most days £ 117 a month
3 bed semi, 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 dogs. £130 PM
Gas ... how the other half live lol, on oil here.

Electric & Oil rough estimate £75pm.
It depends on your home we moved out a new build insulated walls the lot ( 2 Adults ) was only paying £55 a month for gas and electric , moved into a 1930’s semi solid brick ice slab walls 3 Bed semi paying £80 pm now. Central heating is the biggest issue Electric is 25% aprx cost of ours.
That is a lot of electric! I use 3100 kWh but have solar panels which generate 3800kWh (not all used) - in a 4 bed, 4 people.

Savings opportunities - look at all sources of electrical heating - can this be switched to gas? Convert ALL lighting to LED bulbs. Look at your 'at home' lifestyle - what do you leave on most of the time unnecessarily? Buy a electricity monitor - ebay.co.uk/itm…7ts - examine at what time of the day do you use the most and work out what it is!

I reduced mine by about 50% by doing the above! If you can do the same will save you £700/year!!

Also make sure you're on the cheapest tariff - uswitch.com
3 peeps, 4 beds, 4 recep. 16k pa gas. Economy 7. 3k day pa 3k night pa. Elec hob & oven. Gas CH/HW

Bright LED bulbs everywhere. It costs a lot to do but pays back in under a year in the main rooms.
Van19734 m ago

That is a lot of electric! I use 3100 kWh but have solar panels which …That is a lot of electric! I use 3100 kWh but have solar panels which generate 3800kWh (not all used) - in a 4 bed, 4 people.Savings opportunities - look at all sources of electrical heating - can this be switched to gas? Convert ALL lighting to LED bulbs. Look at your 'at home' lifestyle - what do you leave on most of the time unnecessarily? Buy a electricity monitor - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Owl-Electricity-Monitor/273034231049?hash=item3f921bbd09:g:kpgAAOSwJ0xaY7ts - examine at what time of the day do you use the most and work out what it is! I reduced mine by about 50% by doing the above! If you can do the same will save you £700/year!!Also make sure you're on the cheapest tariff - uswitch.com

Second the LED lights when we moved in all the 5/6 spotlights in kitchen were halogen and my Freind said turn them on and look at your spinning elec meter! Took them all out for £1 led spot lights £5/6 BnM and the meter practically stopped!
Oh yeah I’m a believer in 1 TV so that helps me!
That’s some seriously high usage. I have a four bed house, 2 of us, multiple TVs/gadgets, fish tank and other stuff. Pay about £110 a month.
You need to seriously review your usage as recommended by Van1973!

Swapping suppliers regularly for the best deal is a must, as are led lights.

3 bedroom house here, 3 adults, loads of gadgets, £65 month.
Edited by: "hottoast" 30th Jan
4 bed 2 recp kitchen 2 bathrooms we pay £56 a month.
3 bed house . £85 with OVO combined Gas and electricity . And then before that we where with BG for 2 years £82 combined.
I filled out the Moneysavingexpert online form where British Gas had to give you there lowest tariff they don’t Advertise !!!!!! And then the same site renewed me to OVO as the 2 years with BG where over and it was going upto £120 a month .
4 beds, 2 adults, 1 child, £70pm. Gas 12,000kwh/pa and electric 3,000kwh/pa (we are pretty tech heavy, underfloor heating in the kitchen probably accounts for 1/3of our annual usage, hubby wfh 2-3 days per week and with a kid, washing machine is constantly on. That said our electric is lower than average due to solar panels providing 3600kwh/pa, I'd say 50-60% of this is self consumed - practically impossible to use it all in the summer months!) Consider ourselves fairly energy conscious and stat is set to 19.5-20max, loft and cavity insulation and an efficient boiler keeps the house at a steady temperature.

Yoour gas gas is not crazy although stat may be set a little high? Maybe try lowering it by 1degree, could make a difference to the bills and you probably won't notice. Also check if you have / are eligible to have insulation installed as this can make a huge difference to your heating bills.

You say you are tech heavy, but 12,000kwh/pa is craaazzyyyy!!! If you haven't already, get a smart meter with in home display installed (free from your energy supplier) - get a SMETS2 version if you can as should you choose to be an energy tart and switch suppliers regularly, this will allow the meter to retain its smart functionality across all suppliers. (SMETS1 meters are only 'smart' for the supplier who installs it). Anyhoo, I digress - once you've got the in home display, go round your house switching things on and off and you'll soon see where your energy consumption is being most heavily incurred.

Failing all this - are you sure you or your neighbours aren't using your electricity supply to grow 'extra-curricular plants' in the loft?!
Edited by: "Suzannzan" 30th Jan
4 bed, 3 people - £76 per month.
We have 2 people and a cat in a large 3 double bedrooms , living room, kitchen,bathroom, large hall and only paying £50 pm. Got on to low tariff using Scottish government utilities switch service great for us saving under £50 pm from old tariff
£60.30 electric and £45.54 gas monthly average over the last year.
2 bed solid wall detached bungalow with Combi boiler and electric shower, electric oven and induction hob.
Edited by: "moneybag" 30th Jan
2 bed terraced house, 1 adult and 2 children. I pay about £60 per month on a duel fuel tariff
i don't understand how you are spending £200 a month, are you just leaving everything on all the time?
2 people, 3 bedroom terraced house electricity £500 a year, gas £415 a year.
Check your loft 🌱
3 bed mid terrace £75 pm for both gas and electric, 3 adults, someone is at home all day.
Electric 5547 kwh per year
Gas 7300 kwh per year
Edited by: "daletharper" 30th Jan
We got out very large 3 bed 2 rec semi down to about £700 a year joint. But now in a 2 bed flat and because it's less then 12 month rental have have standard rate it'll cost use here about £800. Which is crazy as it's a modern 1st floor and we hard have the heating on and have a kitchen living room.

I found a lot depends on the way you use the energy, if you use a lot of electric choose lowest standing charge, if you use little gas choose highest standing charge etc.
AirbusA38030th Jan

Gas ... how the other half live lol, on oil here.Electric & Oil rough …Gas ... how the other half live lol, on oil here.Electric & Oil rough estimate £75pm.

You may be getting called a leper soon like all us diesel car owners.
Love my diesel car 130 tax and 48 mpg
landros131 m ago

You may be getting called a leper soon like all us diesel car owners.

Im well and truly ****** then I own 2 diesel cars as well lol.
AirbusA38015 m ago

Im well and truly ****** then I own 2 diesel cars as well lol.

I read a few months ago that the 15 biggest container ships cause more pollution than all the cars in the world.
Have not heard anything about reducing their emissions!
3 bed house, 2 adults, heated cat bed! etc, £48 per month for gas and electric in total. We are generally at home most of the time together so I'd imagine that makes quite a difference, although she watches some dreadful tv, so I'll often watch another tv upstairs...
We pay £940 a year combined. 830kWh average on gas and 240kWh average on electric per month. I work from home so always have a few laptops, screens and PCs on but TV, lights are off pretty much all day. I get chilly in my study so use the central heating more than I should.

3 bed detached with poor insulation but 1920's brick built
landros17 h, 3 m ago

I read a few months ago that the 15 biggest container ships cause more …I read a few months ago that the 15 biggest container ships cause more pollution than all the cars in the world.Have not heard anything about reducing their emissions!

Well you read lies ! 15 biggest container ships would produce less pollution then just the cars in the UK .
4 bed detached, 2 adults, gas central heating (£65 a month all in so £780 annually )

£2400 a year is unbelievable
Same here 4 bed detached two adults, one working from home pay around 55 - 60 pound a month for electric, no gas but anything from 400-600 pound a year for heating oil.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 31st Jan
4 bedroom / 2 people = £42 per month.
Just swapped from ovo to outfox the market.. Was paying £800 per year.. Tip.. Turn all devices like sky and cable boxes to standby. They still record. People leave them on and put tv on pause all day? Madness! Chargers and gadgets plugged in and switched on. Lights on. Hair straighteners on all day.. You get the idea
Edited by: "wayners" 31st Jan
4 bed, 2 living rooms, 2 adults 1 dog and it is about £120 a month, we get a refund on that from time to time too as we over pay.

We also have a home office with 2 PC's running pretty much all day.

Oh and 3 bathrooms which my other half seems to think only have an on switch and no off switch.
wtf 200 QUID per month?

I spend 60 for gas and electricity (30 each) on a 4 bedroom house!
A bit like the MPG figure of my car, I would rather not know, My wife "feels the cold" so the heating is on pretty much all year round.

At least its better than when I had a LPG tank, that cost circa 1k to fill.
Original Poster
chocci8 h, 10 m ago

4 bed detached, 2 adults, gas central heating (£65 a month all in so £780 a …4 bed detached, 2 adults, gas central heating (£65 a month all in so £780 annually )£2400 a year is unbelievable

Only think I can think of is we do not hang washing up, its all tumbled dried, I know this is a big effector just not sure if it can be the sole only reason its so expensive
Tony.Wright23 m ago

Only think I can think of is we do not hang washing up, its all tumbled …Only think I can think of is we do not hang washing up, its all tumbled dried, I know this is a big effector just not sure if it can be the sole only reason its so expensive

If you ran a tumble drier for 2 hours non stop EVERY day that is just 1,800kWh per year - still leaving >10,000kWH other use!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions